Sponsored

50th Anniversary 2017 Shelby Super Snake Unveiled!

KadenW23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kaden
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Oxford White Ecoboost
I am beginning to believe that we are at a threshold when it comes to these muscle cars. On top of that, I personally believe that we as a mustang community are almost impossible to please when it comes to these new releases of mustang.

If we think logically where what did we ultimately expect? A TT Shelby that put down over a 1000hp? but if they did that, the price would be so far out of everyone's price tag that we would just complain about that too. We as a muscle car community always want more and more which always ends up leaving up disappointed. But I totally understand that. I just think one thing what could have been changed about this model is if they took the engine out of the GT350 and developed a supercharger kit for it. The Shelby's in the past have had different engines as well as a supercharger which set them apart from the rest of the pack. So to see a 5.0 with a supercharger is the only downside I see to this model. There are just too many other ways to obtain a supercharged 5.0.

But when it comes down to the "styling" people are saying its just another bolt on kit with some stick on badges, and again we will refer to the past GT500's. The only thing different with those models were 1: the hood, 2: the grill, 3: the spoiler, and 4: The wheels. When you look at this years model's we got that exact same thing. So when it comes down to it, I do believe this car lacks the originality that we were all hoping for, but all in all, it is a Shelby and it bears the glorious Shelby name.

I do not consider myself a Ford guru or expert my any means, but this has simply just been by observations since I joined this mustang community.
There will always be people who like and dislike cars, you can never please everyone.

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
5 on the regular one.

8 on the shiny chrome hell one.
Keep looking, don't forget to check the pulley's as well, you missed some!

xjester

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Prem w/PP
Man, there are a lot of Shelby bashers on here. I just don't get it. The great thing about this country is that you have choices. If you don't want one, don't buy one. I see comments like "boring" or they just slapped a Shelby badge on it and installed a supercharger. I don't see Roush bashers or Steeda bashers on here and they generally do the same thing. Shelby is an iconic brand and the performance on their cars are really really good. So many "keyboard car designers" on here that think their ideas are better. Everybody is entitled to their opinion but some people on here are just over the top. I personally like all the variations of all models of our beloved Mustangs.
I would say completely true if it weren't for the fact we are talking about a Shelby here. Shelby did not develop the name and reputation for doing "me too" cars. This car is nothing new or special. Nothing special. Worse than that, this "me too" car was hyped and had a press release. To raise expectations like that with a name like Shelby only to trot out a soon-to-be replaced version of a Mustang that is nearly identical to mass produced versions already available for the last few years....what could you really expect?

Sponsored

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
I am beginning to believe that we are at a threshold when it comes to these muscle cars. On top of that, I personally believe that we as a mustang community are almost impossible to please when it comes to these new releases of mustang.

If we think logically where what did we ultimately expect? A TT Shelby that put down over a 1000hp? but if they did that, the price would be so far out of everyone's price tag that we would just complain about that too. We as a muscle car community always want more and more which always ends up leaving up disappointed. But I totally understand that. I just think one thing what could have been changed about this model is if they took the engine out of the GT350 and developed a supercharger kit for it. The Shelby's in the past have had different engines as well as a supercharger which set them apart from the rest of the pack. So to see a 5.0 with a supercharger is the only downside I see to this model. There are just too many other ways to obtain a supercharged 5.0.

But when it comes down to the "styling" people are saying its just another bolt on kit with some stick on badges, and again we will refer to the past GT500's. The only thing different with those models were 1: the hood, 2: the grill, 3: the spoiler, and 4: The wheels. When you look at this years model's we got that exact same thing. So when it comes down to it, I do believe this car lacks the originality that we were all hoping for, but all in all, it is a Shelby and it bears the glorious Shelby name.

I do not consider myself a Ford guru or expert my any means, but this has simply just been by observations since I joined this mustang community.
There will always be people who like and dislike cars, you can never please everyone.
I was expecting something more than literally a GT with added options. Considering it's a 50th anniversary it could have been A LOT more exclusive. Wider body, custom front & rear bumper/ custom interior, not just some seats and call it a day. Oh cool, they put Shelby coilcovers on a 5.0 Coyote engine, that's awesome... It's a car that anyone could go onto AM and order every single part to build it themselves. Nothing Shelby exclusive about it. It's literally just another version of turnkey package GT offered by many businesses now. I find Shelby to be a bit more iconic and limited then say a Roush or a Steeda or VMP package, etc.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Pretty sure the original '65 GT350 was just a modded K-code V8 fastback too, so.....

I've seen a couple of unrestored originals, and the build quality isn't stellar either.

KadenW23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kaden
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Oxford White Ecoboost
I was expecting something more than literally a GT with added options. Considering it's a 50th anniversary it could have been A LOT more exclusive. Wider body, custom front & rear bumper/ custom interior, not just some seats and call it a day. Oh cool, they put Shelby coilcovers on a 5.0 Coyote engine, that's awesome... It's a car that anyone could go onto AM and order every single part to build it themselves. Nothing Shelby exclusive about it. It's literally just another version of turnkey package GT offered by many businesses now. I find Shelby to be a bit more iconic and limited then say a Roush or a Steeda or VMP package, etc.
I couldn't agree with you more my friend. It sure doesn't have that "one of a kind" feel that the past generations have had.

BigMuscle

Shelby needs to hire younger people to design and market their cars. It seems like most of the decisions makers at Shelby are a group of old men making cars they think the younger generation will like. The S550 Mustang is a sleek and sporty looking car, but it seems some of these designers are still trying to forcefully incorporate the boxy muscle-car design of older Mustangs into the new car. The hood for example doesn't fit the design language of the car, but they seem to bring it back every year. It looks out of place. Shelby, start hiring some younger designers and decision makers!

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Shelby needs to hire younger people to design and market their cars. It seems like most of the decisions makers at Shelby are a group of old men making cars they think the younger generation will like. The S550 Mustang is a sleek and sporty looking car, but it seems some of these designers are still trying to forcefully incorporate the boxy muscle-car design of older Mustangs into the new car. The hood for example doesn't fit the design language of the car, but they seem to bring it back every year. It looks out of place. Shelby, start hiring some younger designers and decision makers!

If you'd watched the live reveal, you'd have heard that this was developed after discussion with members of Team Shelby. Shelby designed this for the very people they know will buy it :thumbsup:

Sponsored

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
If you'd watched the live reveal, you'd have heard that this was developed after discussion with members of Team Shelby. Shelby designed this for the very people they know will buy it :thumbsup:
Yeah, fat old dudes.

While we're on the subject on target audiences and marketing, did anyone notice that every reveal image of the 18 Mustang featured some trendy hipster millenials in almost every shot, strutting their new world fashion and tight man pants? I doubt any of those models would be buying a $40,000 car, let alone a Mustang.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Yeah, fat old dudes.

While we're on the subject on target audiences and marketing, did anyone notice that every reveal image of the 18 Mustang featured some trendy hipster millenials in almost every shot, strutting their new world fashion and tight man pants? I doubt any of those models would be buying a $40,000 car, let alone a Mustang.

Oi, I'm getting old and fat :lol: (still can't afford a Shelby though :eek: )

Yeah, funny you should mention the hipsters. I was downloading some super hi-res images of the '18 today, and tried to crop of much of them out as possible :D

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
That's the market Ford is targeting however..trendy, techno savvy and image conscious young adults with money.

In a not so shocking revelation..that's the market they targeted with the original Mustang..young professionals that were image focused.
Sponsored