Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
19 F150 19 Explorer 04 Thunderbird
My neighbor has a 2017 GT350 which I have driven at Barber, Road Atlanta and VIR. Yes, it's a nice track car, and now that he has a C8 Corvette I was offered his car, but declined. Why?
1) Limited production run motor (what about parts 5 years from now) and I'm not sure about the longevity of the Voodoo motor. For example my E90 M3 has 160,000 miles and has absolutely dozens upon dozens of track days and still needs no oil between 7,500 mile oil changes.
2) The GT350 is a track monster but as a daily, I think it's just okay.
3) The Voodoo motor vibrates quite a bit and it doesn't really have that much low-end torque compared to the Coyote (granted the S65 BMW motor is a bike motor in a car in terms of low end)

I agree, I think there's a compelling argument for the GT350 and if it were still in production I think I might be more inclined but I've opted for the Mach1 which like all cars is a compromise of performance and reliability and of course power as well. Would have been willing to pay $5K for an "optional" 5.2L Coyote with GT350 heads, but that's not offered and likely never will be. At the end of the day, for me it's still going to be a street car to go back and forth to work and track weekends as I can schedule.
Dream parts bin wh0re is a 5.2 Aluminator 580hp with a GT500 DCT in a GT350 chassis/body.

580hp NA DCT trans it would print money with a 60k or less MSRP!!

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Op, I don't like it when folks on the forum change the discussion, but your earlier comments about needing consistency on the track, etc along with your minimum HP requirement screams FI. I have had many FI cars and they are not only consistent, but don't add that much additional weight. The whipple had a net increase of 92lbs over stock. Very linear power increases. Every straightaway will be dominated over a NA Coyote as well.

Just a thought.

You'll get consistency, ability to always find gasoline especially if you tune it for 91+.

OP
OP
VictorH

VictorH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Victor
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
FI is just not the same as N/A. Now I'm talking about track use. With a good N/A car I can put the car within 6" of the apex (or at least what I think should be the apex) lap after lap. With an FI car you will find you can't do that level of precision.
Prior to the GT350 my friend (yes, he's a really good friend) and he had a Roush supercharged 2015 Mustang GT, another car I got to drive on track. It was a hoot on track, but I swear, you come into the same corner 3 times in a row, at the same speed, in the same gear (it was an auto) and for the same throttle position you will have 3 slightly different engine outputs. I've experienced this in other boosted engines too. Any mechanical engineer here want to tell me that's not possible? Yes, with FI it's probably "close enough" in terms of output but it's just not the same as a really good N/A motor.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Dream parts bin wh0re is a 5.2 Aluminator 580hp with a GT500 DCT in a GT350 chassis/body.

580hp NA DCT trans it would print money with a 60k or less MSRP!!
Ding!

580 crank is within spitting distance of 500 wheel. I believe that the 5.2 XS parts list is a decent recipe, and its heads and cams can be improved upon.

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
LTH will give you a nice bump across the powerband, a tune will get rid of TQ limiters and such. Those two things would be the first I would do then take it to the track and see how it feels. If your mainly concerned with track times, suspension, brakes, tires and seat time will get you more bang for your buck.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
It sounds like the best thing to do would be to pick up a used gt350.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
It sort of saddens me when many answers in threads like this lean to just buying a different car or supercharge or nothing. Whatever happened to hot rodding? I would have had a hell of a lot less fun over the last 30+ years with cars (and bikes) if I had taken the easy way out.

Yeah, it's expensive to do a high-power, NA build. I get it, I've done the math. But if that's what a person wants, that's what they want....

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
It sort of saddens me when many answers in threads like this lean to just buying a different car or supercharge or nothing. Whatever happened to hot rodding? I would have had a hell of a lot less fun over the last 30+ years with cars (and bikes) if I had taken the easy way out.

Yeah, it's expensive to do a high-power, NA build. I get it, I've done the math. But if that's what a person wants, that's what they want....
I hear ya and agree. Thing is these engines are pretty damn efficient as is now a days. There is not a lot of room for improvement, especially when staying on pump 93. "Bolt ons" only get you so far, just not going to see the gains that a lot of us old timers are used to.

Sponsored

TX5OH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
FI is just not the same as N/A. Now I'm talking about track use. With a good N/A car I can put the car within 6" of the apex (or at least what I think should be the apex) lap after lap. With an FI car you will find you can't do that level of precision.
Prior to the GT350 my friend (yes, he's a really good friend) and he had a Roush supercharged 2015 Mustang GT, another car I got to drive on track. It was a hoot on track, but I swear, you come into the same corner 3 times in a row, at the same speed, in the same gear (it was an auto) and for the same throttle position you will have 3 slightly different engine outputs. I've experienced this in other boosted engines too. Any mechanical engineer here want to tell me that's not possible? Yes, with FI it's probably "close enough" in terms of output but it's just not the same as a really good N/A motor.
12:1 Compression
JPC Ported Heads
Stage 1 Comp Cams
1-7/8" or 2" LTHs
GT350 IM
93 Octane Gas
Most importantly someone who has dialed those cams in correctly before or a dyno tune session to dial those cams in across all the rpm range with the VVT still active.

500RWHP Recipe.jpg

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride
I made 475 wheel NA before being boosted on 93 with a Custom tune, headers and intake. I also added 4.09 gears to give it more torque in the first and second gear. 4.09's on the gen3 feels like 3.73's on the 15-17's.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
It is possible but it is going to be a bit pricey. I recommend going with E85 or boost.
YES! YES! YES! You can do things the HARD WAY! Or the EASY WAY. Ford gave us a motor that loves boost. Spend 6 grand on a blower and make 600. Or spend 6 grand on cams, intake ported this and that bla bla bla and make 500. Hell you can even keep your warranty with some of the blowers out there. I dont get it?:headbang:

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Or go the other N/A option (nitrous assisted). I‘ve had two supercharged Mustangs and both were a lot of fun, but for my S550, I chose nitrous. My car made 639 whp and 602 wtq on a 150 shot and I have about $4100 in my setup.
Sponsored