Sponsored

5 previous owners a just a huge red flag?

bryyce62

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G dub
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
On the subject of 5 owners, we recently traded in a Fusion that we had for 9 years. Bought it new. The carfax report indicated that there were 3 owner changes. Sales guy indicated that whenever you pay off a financed car, it shows a change of ownership. Even if you change a license plate, like from a generic to a personalized plate., that too will show up on a report that there was a change in ownership.
So, IMO 5 owners doesn't necessarily mean that there was something wrong with the vehicle.

Last edited:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
On the subject of 5 owners, we recently traded in a Fusion that we had for 9 years. Bought it new. The carfax report indicated that there were 3 owner changes. Sales guy indicated that whenever you pay off a financed car, it shows a change of ownership. Even if you change a license plate, like from a generic to a personalized plate., that too will show up on a report that there was a change in ownership.
So, IMO 5 owners doesn''t necessarily mean that there was something wrong with the vehicle.
Look closely at the report. That car has more frequent flyer miles than I do. But that said, an Oasis report, through 3rd party inspection (not just tire kicking), and a Ford ESP might change my mind.

bryyce62

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G dub
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
Look closely at the report. That car has more frequent flyer miles than I do. But that said, an Oasis report, through 3rd party inspection (not just tire kicking), and a Ford ESP might change my mind.
That report indicates to me that that car was flipped a few times over the course of April 2022.
No indication that it underwent repair of any kind.

Sponsored

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zac
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 HP; Prior:20 Camaro SS 1LE, 17 GT350
Don't feel bad about "wasting their time". It's just part of the business. I would drop this one. Expand your search and look at a one way flight for a vehicle with a less sketchy history.

There' 2 2020s within 500 miles of me under 87K. One is a one owner, 16K miles, the other 3 owner 13K miles. They're out there in your price range. They pop up quick and go quick.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
On the topic of Buy Back mention:
Any time a Ford is "bought back" by Ford through Ford RAV, doesn't matter the reasons, that VIN is flagged as a Buy Back and will show up on any VIN report, VIN database, Ford OASIS/ETIS, DMV or Insurance databases as a Buy Back/Lemon.

Ford not only has to follow each State's Laws for Buy Backs and report all Buy Backs, but these also have to have decals applied to the driver side B-pillar where the VCL exists to identify it as a Ford Buy Back. If that car is advertised for sale it has to be made known in any online/paper advertisement and verbal discussion to a potential Buyer that it is/was a Buy Back. When the potential Buyer buys the vehicle, they have to sign additional paperwork that they are verifying they know they are purchasing a Buy Back vehicle.

I've posted at length on here about Ford RAV, the process, Lemons, etc. including posting images of the RAV decals, paperwork, etc.

If the vehicle was a Buy Back in State "A", it CANNOT be resold in that state after it was bought back by Ford. It has to be offered by Ford through its Dealer network (auction) where the VIN is already flagged as a Buy Back. It can be picked up by another Ford Dealer and sold in State "B". After the initial purchase by another Consumer in State "B", it can be traded/sold/titled in any State - but its VIN will forever be flagged with a Buy Back/Lemon status. Titles can be washed - VIN's can't, VIN reports can't and neither can OASIS/ETIS.

-------

I don't believe the GT500 in question has any Buy Back/Lemon issue at all.

I think it was bought/flipped based on the fact that many were doing that trying to make a quick buck when prices were idiotic.

One other thing to mention as well - when a vehicle like that or any vehicle in general is on a Dealer's lot, it's a liability to them for as long as that vehicle sits. If they have some obscene price on it and it's not moving, they either have to lower the price to move it OR they have to auction it off in order to pay down their outstanding loans on their inventory. These cars aren't "free" at any Dealer, just because it's a Ford sitting on a Ford lot. They need inventory turn over in order to get new inventory or replenish popular inventory they lack. This turn over is whether it be by Consumer purchase OR by attrition through the Dealer having to liquidate via an auction or sending it off to another Ford dealer for a swap of inventory. That could also explain many "owners" or changes in VIN history to other States.

CarlsbadCO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Hard pass, period. Zero doubt it's been railed by some of the previous owners. When I got my 350 it was a similar situation. Many 350s around with 4+ owners with 8-15K - didn't even consider them. Got lucky and found a one-owner car where the guy treated it just like I would - phenomenal shape and condition w proper break-in, uber detailed, yadda yadda.

You'll find one w/ a single owner - pay a bit more $$ but at north of 80K I suspect you can handle that OK.

That said, if you want to keep it for only a year or two and put a few K miles on then sell it for #6 it'll surely hold up. If you want to keep it for years - NFW.

Sixtus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sixto
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2016 GT Convertible, 2015 Ecoboost PP
No need to be considerate of the dealerships feelings, they have none… and they will use yours against you.

Set up a test drive and see how many red flags show up, it might still be in good condition. Still has 3 months bumper to bumper and 2 years of powertrain warranty which is really where all the money went in this car.

I recently test drove 6 options and one had only one owner but beaten hard, another had 4 owners and was very clean. Let us know what else you find out on this one or any others that peak your interest

Last edited:

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
i would scrutinize it but for a car on that level it isn't uncommon. i would imagine a lot of people get them with some vision of what they wanted and it not being quite that so they just sell it or they flip it for some cash.

Sponsored
OP
OP
vaeevictiss

vaeevictiss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Don't feel bad about "wasting their time". It's just part of the business. I would drop this one. Expand your search and look at a one way flight for a vehicle with a less sketchy history.

There' 2 2020s within 500 miles of me under 87K. One is a one owner, 16K miles, the other 3 owner 13K miles. They're out there in your price range. They pop up quick and go quick.
Ya I bumped my limit up to 90 and there's a lot more at that range. Found one for 90 even, in one of my top 3 color options with only 7k miles. Does have 3 owners however so back to that issue. Looks like it was bought in VA, guy moved to fl and drove it there. Sold and someone drove it back up the east coast to MD. 36mo warranty is out but that's just gonna be expected looking at 20s.

But that's just one of many.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Does have 3 owners however so back to that issue
Sorry Sean, you're asking a question that no one on here can answer. It depends on the people that owned the car. A car with one owner can beat the crap out of the car whereas a car with three owners can be perfect. Due your due diligence and you will find a good one.

babrams3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT C/S Manual FBO
Probably not a true 5 owner car. And thats right, cars get dinged with multiple owners on carfax when its just dealer or auction movements. But yes, never hurts to get a car checked in this situation

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
I’d verify that with your State MVD. Here going to a vanity plate or any other does not show up as an ownership transfer.

So, IMO 5 owners doesn't necessarily mean that there was something wrong with the vehicle.

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
As soon as I saw Carvana as one of the owners I said NOPE. They are known for selling stolen cars and they turn around and say they have no clue what the customer is talking about. Hard hard pass
Sponsored