Sponsored

5.0 Dipstick Oil Level After Oil Change

5.0GTPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Hi Everyone,

After changing your oil (8 quarts) where is your oil level on your dipstick?

Closer to the upper dot or lower dot within the cross hashed area? Or is it exactly in the middle of the cross hashed area?

Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP

5.0GTPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have about 4000 miles on the oil. When I check the oil level it's in the last 1/4 xxxxx area. I know you don't add any oil when it's in the xxxxx area. I was wondering where the oil level is once you just change it.

I don't remember where mine was when it changed it in May.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Warm oil should be at the H line. If the engine is cold, it should be at the top of the XXXX area.

Sponsored

Must_Tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gone-2016 Mustang GT Premium
Be careful not to overfill. An oil level that is too high will hit your crankshaft, causing your oil to foam up or worse!

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
After a filter and eight quarts, mine is halfway between dots.
PP takes more due to deeper oil pan.
Read your manual.

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I have always filled until the dip stick is marked full. This is after slowly adding oil when I get close until I hit that mark on the money or just under (of course allowing added oil to drain into the pan for a bit before checking). On my S550, this equates to more or less exactly what the car calls for, but I use the 5 quart jugs ,so I'm not relying on each quart bottle as a unit of measurement. If you do the dealer approach and drain, pour in an exact 8 quarts as quickly as you can, then button everything up, you will have all the oil you need... so long as you indeed buttoned everything up and the system is sealed/not burning oil/other issues.

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Pp needs little more coolant because of the larger radiator. Oil is the same amount same goes to the pan.

S197 track pack took little more oil because of the added oil cooler.

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have always filled until the dip stick is marked full. This is after slowly adding oil when I get close until I hit that mark on the money or just under (of course allowing added oil to drain into the pan for a bit before checking). On my S550, this equates to more or less exactly what the car calls for, but I use the 5 quart jugs ,so I'm not relying on each quart bottle as a unit of measurement. If you do the dealer approach and drain, pour in an exact 8 quarts as quickly as you can, then button everything up, you will have all the oil you need... so long as you indeed buttoned everything up and the system is sealed/not burning oil/other issues.
all cars will vary on where they read after adding the factory recommended 8qts, its a mistake to chase a certain reading on the dipstick, you add the 8qts, make a note on where the full reading is after a start up to circulate the oil, then a shut down and about a 10 minute wait. I remember when I owned my 2008 Triumph 675, lol guys were overfilling them with oil because they were chasing a certain reading on the dipstick

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Mine reads, after a legit 8 qts, just shy of full. Hence my method. I do not typically start up the car to circulate and check the dipstick again. Frankly because it's such a pain in the friggin' arse to get in and out thanks to the strut tower brace. I pour in 8, see the dipstick looks good, start the car, look under to see if I am dumping oil, of not... I go straight into the shower with my Jessica Alba-look-a-like girlfriend and... oh wait......
Sponsored