Sponsored

5.0 Active exhaust vs std 5.0 exhaust

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
On what basis would all modifications be disallowed? Cat back exhausts have no impact on emissions. If on the basis of noise, the loudest modes of AE would likely violate such standards, too.
I don’t pretend to have any idea, but I do know that the regulators do not necessarily pay heed to logic. They don’t need a basis; they’re the government. I’m simply pointing out that I’ve read where this has been bandied about and solely IMO it isn‘t out of the realm of possibility. Again, I cannot tell you where but I’ve heard stories of modified cars failing to earn a sticker even though they were within stated guidelines.

Anyone being realistic has to know that the government is slowly (or not so slowly at times) doing all it can to find ways to make it increasingly difficult to own an ICE car. Noise standards and regulations prohibiting mods to factory configurations, tunes, etc. are likely not far off in many places.

Does anyone really believe that the proliferation of EVs is strictly driven by consumer demand?
Sponsored

MrBD1348

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT MT-82
On what basis would all modifications be disallowed? Cat back exhausts have no impact on emissions. If on the basis of noise, the loudest modes of AE would likely violate such standards, too.
Illinois has a 95dB limit for exhaust. Non-AE surpasses that. 😂

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
OP: What does the normal/non-active exhaust sound like in comparison to AE modes?

M6G: Dozens of replies rehashing the same conversations we've had countless times with everyone's option of AE, ignoring the actual question OP posted.
In all fairness, posts no. 7 and no. 9 did address the original question. :)

faser

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
scott
Vehicle(s)
mustang/cadillac
There are some pretty comical posts in this thread from the non AE owners who are quite bold in their claim that they have no interest in and are obviously envious of the desreable choices that an AE provides performance oriented individuals who buy these cars.

Sponsored

noGreta!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus IS350 F Sport
To me every other mode other than "Quiet Mode" sounds the same. Either I am tone deaf or the well-designed and thoughtfully-placed valve actuation wiring harness has already melted from the exhaust and it isn't working properly. If that's the case I am sure it will take my local dealer 2-months to help me out. Hey at least I feel like I own a "performance" vehicle fiddling with the fighter-jet style toggle switches.

paulm1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
pau
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT mustang
Gonna add 2cents here, not trying to throw gas on the bon fire. I bought my new 21 off the lot in march, didnt really care one way or another about what options but now the AE is my favorite option. Once i did the resonator delete with an x pipe, she got wake the dead loud on track mode whoch i love. But on long trips with the wife i switch to quiet, and dont have to listen to her complain. Thats priceless IMO.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I understand how the active exhaust works. What does the std 5.0 exhaust sound like in comparison? Full on loud? Interested in a 2020 thats doesn't have the active exhaust.
My observation is the non active exhaust is quieter than all aftermarket setups I've heard. However, it is not nearly as quiet as the stock exhaust in the 15-17 models, and cold starts are fairly loud.

As for comparison to the A/E, I prefer the tone of the A/E. The non active sounds "tinnier" to me. For volume, the A/E in sport or track mode is louder than non active. The normal mode of A/E is likely closest to the non active volume, but the non active might be slightly louder. That's an educated guess, since the A/E guys are usually in the louder modes at the meets and cruises I attend. :)

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
...can anybody say definitively which one of the AE modes equals the sound of the bone stock non-AE GT car? Or, do none of the AE modes replicate a non-AE GT?
Being different exhaust systems/mufflers, I'd say none.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
It all comes down to how well a manufacturer can cheat or get around the exhaust sound regulations. Yes the active exhaust in track mode probably goes beyond the limit, but during the test it passed. Because the test is flawed. The AE exhaust meets standards but aftermarket system considered "off road use only".

Did you know that the newest Porsche GT3 manual transmission failed the California sound test and was not allow to be sold in the state? But the automatic version was allow because it passed the sound test. Both cars have the exact same exhaust system. Later on Porsche was able to get the manual to pass. You can read more about it here. It all comes down to how the cars are tested. https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a36741701/porsche-911-gt3-manual-fails-californias-noise-test/

Most aftermarket exhaust systems are for off road use only and do not have the option to cheat the system as well.

Sponsored

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Most aftermarket exhaust systems are for off road use only and do not have the option to cheat the system as well.
Not true. Exhaust components designated as "off road use only" are headers and such that delete the catalytic converters. No cat back or axle back exhaust for the S550 deletes the cats. I get that many individual states have noise requirements that some aftermarket exhausts don't meet. It wouldn't surprise me if CA is the only state testing new cars with stock exhausts for noise levels.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Not true. Exhaust components designated as "off road use only" are headers and such that delete the catalytic converters. No cat back or axle back exhaust for the S550 deletes the cats. I get that many individual states have noise requirements that some aftermarket exhausts don't meet. It wouldn't surprise me if CA is the only state testing new cars with stock exhausts for noise levels.
There is actually writing in the fine printing saying they may not be street legal though. But it doesn't matter as we do not live in that world today and might not ever.

The best way to regulate exhaust sound levels is to simply ban the sale of ICE. Which will happen in my live time.
Sponsored