5.0 50k miles overdue for oil change.

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
I agree with the 1st part, I check my oil when I wash the car which is usually weekly. I disagree with the oil monitor comment though, I use the 2nd trip feature to monitor miles and change my oil ever ~5k miles. I know I'm probably doing it more than needed. I do my own oil changes so the ~$75 it cost to replace is worth the peace of mind to me. I use Mobile 1 full synthetic.
How do you know you're not changing it too rarely?

I've been changing my oil according to the OLM (oil life monitor), and so far that's been every 3,000-4,000 miles. Some of that due to usually having lucked out to have one or two amateur trackdays between the changes (I'm novice, so think I don't need to change before and after every trackday) but even without those days, I'm not 100% sure I'd always make it to 5,000 miles. Depending on how you drive, I think it's worth keeping an eye on the OLM, and perhaps change at 5,000 (if that's your preference), or when the OLM says so, whatever comes first.

If using the FordPass app, one gets a warning when oil life is getting low, but if not, I'm not sure if one get any warning. Based on this thread, I assume that one does at least not get such a warning in the 2015 model. ;-)
Sponsored

coz0502

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
How do you know you're not changing it too rarely?

I've been changing my oil according to the OLM (oil life monitor), and so far that's been every 3,000-4,000 miles. Some of that due to usually having lucked out to have one or two amateur trackdays between the changes (I'm novice, so think I don't need to change before and after every trackday) but even without those days, I'm not 100% sure I'd always make it to 5,000 miles. Depending on how you drive, I think it's worth keeping an eye on the OLM, and perhaps change at 5,000 (if that's your preference), or when the OLM says so, whatever comes first.

If using the FordPass app, one gets a warning when oil life is getting low, but if not, I'm not sure if one get any warning. Based on this thread, I assume that one does at least not get such a warning in the 2015 model. ;-)
Good callout. To expand on my prior comment, I still reset the oil life monitor every oil change. We must have 2 different driving styles as most times I'm hitting the 5k mileage mark the indicator is showing 50%+ life left. Plus mine is a daily driver and I do a lot of highway miles for the work commute. I've been working from home for the last year now and not driving as much. I changed my oil shortly after Thanksgiving last year and just checked my mileage and indicator. I'm at ~3200 miles and the oil life says 55%. I'd guess age is driving the indicator this time.

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Good callout. To expand on my prior comment, I still reset the oil life monitor every oil change. We must have 2 different driving styles as most times I'm hitting the 5k mileage mark the indicator is showing 50%+ life left. Plus mine is a daily driver and I do a lot of highway miles for the work commute. I've been working from home for the last year now and not driving as much. I changed my oil shortly after Thanksgiving last year and just checked my mileage and indicator. I'm at ~3200 miles and the oil life says 55%. I'd guess age is driving the indicator this time.
It largely depends on driving style. I remember posts and articles on how today's oil life monitoring in cars goes far beyond just a regular mileage counter.

My Bullitt is my daily driver. Even with covid, in 1 yr (minus one week, bought on 02/29/2020), I've gotten to over 14,000 miles now. It included 3 longer road trips each over 1,000 miles.
Even with a track day in September, I've gone from 4,700 to 10,700 miles on one oil change. And that wasn't even me pushing it, life left on oil meter in the dash still.

Just checked, right now 49% remaining with 14,4xxx miles, so I've got basically half of oil life left after 3,700 miles. I think I'll change a tad earlier than at 7,000 miles, which would roughly be down to 10% of oil life. That's with mixed driving, but usually a few miles at highway speeds on every single trip as we live in the country.
I think generally my oil life counter makes it to around 10-20% and I get it changed, full synhetic.

coz0502

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
It largely depends on driving style. I remember posts and articles on how today's oil life monitoring in cars goes far beyond just a regular mileage counter.

My Bullitt is my daily driver. Even with covid, in 1 yr (minus one week, bought on 02/29/2020), I've gotten to over 14,000 miles now. It included 3 longer road trips each over 1,000 miles.
Even with a track day in September, I've gone from 4,700 to 10,700 miles on one oil change. And that wasn't even me pushing it, life left on oil meter in the dash still.

Just checked, right now 49% remaining with 14,4xxx miles, so I've got basically half of oil life left after 3,700 miles. I think I'll change a tad earlier than at 7,000 miles, which would roughly be down to 10% of oil life. That's with mixed driving, but usually a few miles at highway speeds on every single trip as we live in the country.
I think generally my oil life counter makes it to around 10-20% and I get it changed, full synhetic.
I'm the same way, I change at ~5,000 miles or when the oil life indicator says to. I've just never had the indicator say change it before I hit 5,000. I look at the oil as the life blood of a car, so for me, changing a little earlier than needed is worth the cost.

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
FWIW, I get 'free oil changes for life at 5,000 miles or 5 months, whichever comes first' from the dealer. I settled on every 6 mos., or usually about 3,000 miles, because it's easier to remember, and I do a lot of short trips. Last time, the tech at the dealer shorted me 2qts--even the service manager thought the Coyote only took 8 (previous ones did, apparently)--but, luckily I checked it as soon as I got it home. I'll be on them next time I go in. For my '08 Bullitt, I changed it myself every 6,000 miles because I was doing a lot more highway miles; it was going strong at 124K miles when I traded it in.

I maintain 6 ICE vehicles, so oil changes get a bit onerous, and properly disposing of the oil is a bit of a hassle.

Sponsored

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
FWIW, I get 'free oil changes for life at 5,000 miles or 5 months, whichever comes first' from the dealer. I settled on every 6 mos., or usually about 3,000 miles, because it's easier to remember, and I do a lot of short trips. Last time, the tech at the dealer shorted me 2qts--even the service manager thought the Coyote only took 8 (previous ones did, apparently)--but, luckily I checked it as soon as I got it home. I'll be on them next time I go in. For my '08 Bullitt, I changed it myself every 6,000 miles because I was doing a lot more highway miles; it was going strong at 124K miles when I traded it in.

I maintain 6 ICE vehicles, so oil changes get a bit onerous, and properly disposing of the oil is a bit of a hassle.
Yes, previous Coyottes took 8qts, I've looked it up too and was surprised ours take 10qts.

That's a nice deal you negotiated/were offered by the dealer, I should've negotiated better I think, but my dealer was 2hr drive from home, that hardly makes sense for free oil changes.

I think they do top it off a little short, I've had it happen too, I doubt i'd be burning oil now, so I bought a jug to top it off myself.

Bingo. Doing my own oil change is fine and probably won't take much time, but then hauling the oil somewhere to recycle/dispose of it properly, plus trying to jack up the very low Bullitt are both pain. Full synthetic 10qts tends to run pricy though.

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
The dealer offers the free oil change to everybody who buys a--presumably new, dunno about used--car from them, no negotiating required (a good thing, because I'm not much of a negotiator; I should have gotten another thou or two on my trade-in). So far, they haven't tried to upsell me on anything. I put RP SynchroShift in my '08's gearbox, changed the plugs at 85K and had an idler pulley go bad, but all other wear/damage items were self-inflicted. It still had the original brake pads and clutch when I traded it in on the '19.

My late father had a grease pit installed in his garage. I've thought about filling it in, but probably won't unless/until I get a lift (it's probably a Superfund site now). I also have a couple ancient Ford tractors; oil changes are a snap because everything is exposed and the crankcases sit a couple feet above ground. The '46 Chevy 2-ton doesn't even have a filter!

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
Will new oil break down sludge or can you pour additive into it to break down sludge then do another change
An old mechanic showed me years ago that the best hand cleaner to get rid of grease and grime is fresh clean motor oil, it cuts through all that junk. Then you just wipe it all off with a rag.

Fresh oil will break down the sludge to some extent, but that might not be a good thing if it breaks it loose and deposits it into a worse spot like the oil pickup screen.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
An old mechanic showed me years ago that the best hand cleaner to get rid of grease and grime is fresh clean motor oil, it cuts through all that junk. Then you just wipe it all off with a rag.

Fresh oil will break down the sludge to some extent, but that might not be a good thing if it breaks it loose and deposits it into a worse spot like the oil pickup screen.
Can you pop off the oil pan and remove the Gelled oil by hand? It’s just an oil pan gasket to put it back.

Sponsored

rangerryda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium A10
Vehicle Showcase
Possible the OP Is a Ford marketing genius ?
He's targeting people who already own Mustangs though. Wouldn't use the term "genius" exactly lol.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Interesting thread.

The only photos I’d be interested in seeing would be:

Inside of the oil filter. I’ve attached a doc that has info on how to do it.

Inside of the valve cover.

Attachments