5.0 50k miles overdue for oil change.

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Good to know that your car's running better, but 2015 V8s took 8 quarts from a quick online search. So somehow you drained less than half of the oil? If you drained 3, but were able to put in almost 8, the math doesn't check out. Unless I'm missing something obvious.

I am no pro and my maintenance skills are very basic, but I'd say that's not good news.
Sponsored

OP
OP

DIB_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base GT: PP and Recaros
Good to know that your car's running better, but 2015 V8s took 8 quarts from a quick online search. So somehow you drained less than half of the oil? If you drained 3, but were able to put in almost 8, the math doesn't check out. Unless I'm missing something obvious.

I am no pro and my maintenance skills are very basic, but I'd say that's not good news.
I think the performance package GT actually takes closer to 9 qts with the oil cooler. I hadn't checked my oil in a while before my issues started happening. My dipstick came up bone dry before the change, so my car either leaked or burned ~5 quarts of oil. I'm guessing the 7 and a half quart fill up was from left over sludge mixing in with the new oil. I will double check my oil level before I leave work today and top up if I need to.

Last edited:

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
After 50k miles over 4 quarts evaporated or turned to sludge. Its amazing that it was still running at all with 3 or 4 quarts all that was left circulating through the engine. Your bearings and cylinder walls probably look like crap if you were to open things up.

OP
OP

DIB_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 50k miles over 4 quarts evaporated or turned to sludge. Its amazing that it was still running at all with 3 or 4 quarts all that was left circulating through the engine. Your bearings and cylinder walls probably look like crap if you were to open things up.
No doubt.

Sponsored

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Right, I realize that lot of it probably turned to sludge, that was my point, that lack of "liquid" oil is an issue, along with the quantity of it left over.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Will new oil break down sludge or can you pour additive into it to break down sludge then do another change

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
So in those 50k miles you never checked the oil level?

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Side note: Some of the aircraft engines I flew behind had 10 or 12qt oil capacity. We never flew above 8 because the rest would just be thrown overboard, ending up on the belly of the plane. The 'minimum required' was 2 qts,(!) but you wouldn't go far because those big, sloppy, air-cooled engines would burn as much as a qt an hour.

Sponsored

coz0502

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Id say people should check their oil level every 500-1000 miles, add some if necessary, and change when the oil life monitor tells you to.
I agree with the 1st part, I check my oil when I wash the car which is usually weekly. I disagree with the oil monitor comment though, I use the 2nd trip feature to monitor miles and change my oil ever ~5k miles. I know I'm probably doing it more than needed. I do my own oil changes so the ~$75 it cost to replace is worth the peace of mind to me. I use Mobile 1 full synthetic.

Side note: it's nice to have a friend that's a mechanic, he's got keys so we go up to the dealership when they're closed so I can use his bay.

OP
OP

DIB_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So in those 50k miles you never checked the oil level?
Last time I checked, the oil level was good. I couldn’t tell you exactly when that was, probably between 10k-20k ago.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t check my oil but every 5k
A properly running engine shouldn’t require any more than that

OP
OP

DIB_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree with the 1st part, I check my oil when I wash the car which is usually weekly. I disagree with the oil monitor comment though, I use the 2nd trip feature to monitor miles and change my oil ever ~5k miles. I know I'm probably doing it more than needed. I do my own oil changes so the ~$75 it cost to replace is worth the peace of mind to me. I use Mobile 1 full synthetic.

Side note: it's nice to have a friend that's a mechanic, he's got keys so we go up to the dealership when they're closed so I can use his bay.
I need to set a different goalpost for oil checks. I used to wash the car every 2-4 weeks, after getting married and having 3 kids in the past 4 years my car is lucky if it’s washed annually.

coz0502

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I need to set a different goalpost for oil checks. I used to wash the car every 2-4 weeks, after getting married and having 3 kids in the past 4 years my car is lucky if it’s washed annually.
That makes me sad for you mustang, but it's completely understandable that family comes before washing a car. Hope everything works out with the car, it takes a big man to come on a car enthusiast forum like this and tell everyone about your situation. FYI, I believe you, maybe I'm naive or too trusting but this doesn't read like a troll thread to me. Even if it is, it's been a fun one with lots of posters chiming in.
Sponsored