Sponsored

5.0 50k miles overdue for oil change.

DIB_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base GT: PP and Recaros
I can’t remember if my last oil change was at 17k or 27k miles, but I’m about to roll over 77k on my 2015 GT.

Through a combination of procrastination and stupidity, I’ve managed to put off an oil change time and time again until hearing rod knock yesterday on the way home.

After examining my car today, it seems like a pulley is actually the source of the knock.

For my wife’s truck I’ve substituted diesel for oil and run the engine for a minute after a few overdue oil changes, but her truck is sitting at 375k miles. I’m apprehensive about doing that to the 5.0.

I’m parking the car and changing my oil this weekend. What should I do to clean out the the remaining old oil and sludge when I do it?

P.S. This is not a troll post, I’m just that stupid.
Sponsored

OP
OP

DIB_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you truly have oil with 50K on it, save some of it for analysis. I'd love to see the results.
My last change was with full synthetic royal purple 5w20. I have heard it breaks down after 7k miles. I will try to save some, don’t know anything about oil analysis though.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I can’t remember if my last oil change was at 17k or 27k miles, but I’m about to roll over 77k on my 2015 GT.

Through a combination of procrastination and stupidity, I’ve managed to put off an oil change time and time again until hearing rod knock yesterday on the way home.

After examining my car today, it seems like a pulley is actually the source of the knock.

For my wife’s truck I’ve substituted diesel for oil and run the engine for a minute after a few overdue oil changes, but her truck is sitting at 375k miles. I’m apprehensive about doing that to the 5.0.

I’m parking the car and changing my oil this weekend. What should I do to clean out the the remaining old oil and sludge when I do it?

P.S. This is not a troll post, I’m just that stupid.
My first thought was this has to be a joke. Honestly I think it still might be. But if it isn‘t just forget doing a DIY job. That pan needs to be dropped. Since there is probably some damage I would suggest getting it to a dealer. And be prepared for some very interesting looks. And don’t forget to post pics. We are going to want to see this.

OP
OP

DIB_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I cannot believe that your VCT isn't all gummed up and throwing all sorts of codes before rod knock.
It probably is. For the last few thousand miles it’s felt like power is low until about 3500 RPMs, then I get a surge in power. I’ve just kept it under 3500 as much as possible since then. I haven’t checked the codes, my CEL has been on since about 36k with a faulty EVAP purge valve solenoid.

Last edited:

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Completely different situation but I have a friend that owned a Chevy Silverado a few years ago. He bought it new and traded it in with around 140,000 miles without ever changing the oil one time. I still question him about it and he still stands by his claim. He is not the type to make up stories. I'm not sure this is possible but it's what he claims!

Sponsored
OP
OP

DIB_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My first thought was this has to be a joke. Honestly I think it still might be. But if it isn‘t just forget doing a DIY job. That pan needs to be dropped. Since there is probably some damage I would suggest getting it to a dealer. And be prepared for some very interesting looks. And don’t forget to post pics. We are going to want to see this.
It has to be a DIY job due to budget. I plan on checking the drained oil for metal, and if(when) it’s there I’ll drop the pan and inspect. I will post pics once I get working on it.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
It has to be a DIY job due to budget. I plan on checking the drained oil for metal, and if(when) it’s there I’ll drop the pan and inspect. I will post pics once I get working on it.
Well you obviously hasn’t spent to much of your budget on oil changes. :cwl: :crackup:

dps

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage Edition; 2021 GTS 4.0
I graduated from the school of "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" Good luck

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Deferring preventative maintenance is common. I wouldn't flush with diesel. You could try adding a bottle of that red snake oil (Marvel Mystery oil?)but then you would have to dump the oil and refill in short order. That stuff fixed a noisy lifter for me once.

Last edited:

Decible

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 HP
😳😳😳😳😳😳 - Anyone run 5w20 amsoil signature. Thinking of using it for all oil changes. I’ll be due in a couple of thousand. Off topic sorry back on topic 😳😳😳😳😳😳
Sponsored