Sponsored

5.0 50k miles overdue for oil change.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
We will see if he is too busy to take the car into the shop for a non warranty covered new motor soon. I suspect the wait time will be slightly longer than an oil change
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
what's the chance he tosses in a good oil, will engine fix itself?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I can’t remember if my last oil change was at 17k or 27k miles, but I’m about to roll over 77k on my 2015 GT.

Through a combination of procrastination and stupidity, I’ve managed to put off an oil change time and time again until hearing rod knock yesterday on the way home.

After examining my car today, it seems like a pulley is actually the source of the knock.

For my wife’s truck I’ve substituted diesel for oil and run the engine for a minute after a few overdue oil changes, but her truck is sitting at 375k miles. I’m apprehensive about doing that to the 5.0.

I’m parking the car and changing my oil this weekend. What should I do to clean out the the remaining old oil and sludge when I do it?

P.S. This is not a troll post, I’m just that stupid.
Assuming this is true, I wouldn't put any kind of flush in the engine. You might break loose large bits of sludge and do more harm than good.
My first choice would be to sell. If that's not an option, I'd change the oil, drive for a week, repeat if you really want to try to save it. And CHANGE THE FILTER EVERY TIME! Keep doing that until the oil that comes out after a week of driving looks new. Then resume a normal oil change cycle.

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Assuming this is true, I wouldn't put any kind of flush in the engine. You might break loose large bits of sludge and do more harm than good.
My first choice would be to sell. If that's not an option, I'd change the oil, drive for a week, repeat if you really want to try to save it. And CHANGE THE FILTER EVERY TIME! Keep doing that until the oil that comes out after a week of driving looks new. Then resume a normal oil change cycle.
I hope if you were a seller you'd disclose the situation, otherwise then whomever posted "that's why I'm scared to buy used" would probably feel pretty vindicated in their comment...
Passing on the buck without being upfront seems wrong...

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I hope if you were a seller you'd disclose the situation, otherwise then whomever posted "that's why I'm scared to buy used" would probably feel pretty vindicated in their comment...
Passing on the buck without being upfront seems wrong...
I completely agree that he should disclose if selling. However, I wouldn't expect most people to do that, knowing that they will be getting a lot less money from the transaction if they are honest. Of course many people will say they would disclose if they are just talking on the internet.

I buy used cars regularly and I realize every time I do it that there's a reason the previous owner sold the car. I've been burned before. Not too badly, but I have definitely cursed a previous owner more than once. It did occur to me that I'd feel better about selling to a dealer without disclosing vs. a private party, because I know a dealer will never disclose to a buyer anyway. Some of the used cars I probably shouldn't have bought came from dealers.

Having said all that, I would never be in a situation of trying to sell a car that wasn't maintained properly, though. So I really can't relate to the OP's situation. I typically over-maintain anything I own. I don't believe that 10K oil change intervals are sufficient, especially for a car like my Fiesta, for example. I've been doing 5K oil changes. I recently checked the oil level and noticed it was high and smelled like there might be some fuel contaminating it. Probably due to the
recent extreme cold. But I would change at a short interval in the summer as well due to heat and the turbo.

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I completely agree that he should disclose if selling. However, I wouldn't expect most people to do that, knowing that they will be getting a lot less money from the transaction if they are honest. Of course many people will say they would disclose if they are just talking on the internet.

I buy used cars regularly and I realize every time I do it that there's a reason the previous owner sold the car. I've been burned before. Not too badly, but I have definitely cursed a previous owner more than once. It did occur to me that I'd feel better about selling to a dealer without disclosing vs. a private party, because I know a dealer will never disclose to a buyer anyway. Some of the used cars I probably shouldn't have bought came from dealers.

Having said all that, I would never be in a situation of trying to sell a car that wasn't maintained properly, though. So I really can't relate to the OP's situation. I typically over-maintain anything I own. I don't believe that 10K oil change intervals are sufficient, especially for a car like my Fiesta, for example. I've been doing 5K oil changes. I recently checked the oil level and noticed it was high and smelled like there might be some fuel contaminating it. Probably due to the
recent extreme cold. But I would change at a short interval in the summer as well due to heat and the turbo.
Okay I think we are on the same page.

I guess my thought was if you were going to suggest to try to hide that from people, I was going to call you out on it, but no need to do that then. :)
I try to be honest in my sales ads etc., I don't want bad karma coming to get me later. Not sure what I'd do in OP's situation. I guess reading your suggestion of selling caught me off guard, but that may be a valid option for him, dunno...

OP
OP

DIB_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base GT: PP and Recaros
So DIB_GT, it's been a week, 6 pages and 88 posts. When the heck are you going to change your oil?
No clue. My power was out for 18 hours yesterday and cut out at 8:30 this morning. There is still about 3 inches of snow standing outside. I have no hot water right now, and only a propane heater for the whole house. Could be Saturday until all of this clears up. Can’t drive the car anywhere right now anyway with the ice and snow.

OP
OP

DIB_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am shocked, SHOCKED that no one has suggested cutting the oil filter open (I may have missed it, I just scanned previous replies). We used to do our own oil changes for aircraft I (partially) owned, and we always cut the filter open and sent a sample for analysis (I have mixed feelings on analysis; yeah, it can't hurt, I suppose, but I don't think, for instance, that a rod or a cylinder hold-down stud that's about to let go will give you much warning in the oil). An engine failure in flight is the third-worst thing that can happen to a pilot. Cutting the filter open is messy, but if you find chunks of stuff in the media you know you have to dig deeper. The cutter we used was like a large version of an old school, manual tin can opener; you don't want to use a hacksaw because that will contaminate the contents of the filter (and better cutters, that work like large tubing cutters are available). Clean the media in fresh solvent, and run a strong magnet through the solvent and residual oil and, of course, look for chunks of things (big aircraft engines would often leave 'coffee grounds' in the filter, which was just bits of carbon--they usually run pretty rich).

I don't open filters routinely, but I'll usually cut one open before I take a long road trip in one of my old British sports cars.
I stated in a previous post that I would cut it open and post pics. The hacksaw causing contamination is a good thought. I will probably knock a notch in it with a chisel and try to cut it with some tin snips.

OP
OP

DIB_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Okay I think we are on the same page.

I guess my thought was if you were going to suggest to try to hide that from people, I was going to call you out on it, but no need to do that then. :)
I try to be honest in my sales ads etc., I don't want bad karma coming to get me later. Not sure what I'd do in OP's situation. I guess reading your suggestion of selling caught me off guard, but that may be a valid option for him, dunno...
I will not be selling the car.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
No clue. My power was out for 18 hours yesterday and cut out at 8:30 this morning. There is still about 3 inches of snow standing outside. I have no hot water right now, and only a propane heater for the whole house. Could be Saturday until all of this clears up. Can’t drive the car anywhere right now anyway with the ice and snow.
Alright them, some of the best reasons I’ve ever heard. Just be safe out there.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Well I use Royal Purple 5w20 in my car since 500 miles. I changed it out at 1k, 5k, and now every 5k. Pretty sure I could resell my used oil as new by the way it looks when I drain it. Only time my car has seen the dealer besides buying it was for a warranty issue. Changing oil on jack stands only takes an hour tops.

Life happens OP, hope it all works out and the car is fine. I bet the long commute over Highway works in your favor. I'm also eagerly awaiting pics and updates. Hope you get power and heat ASAP!

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Well I use Royal Purple 5w20 in my car since 500 miles. I changed it out at 1k, 5k, and now every 5k. Pretty sure I could resell my used oil as new by the way it looks when I drain it. Only time my car has seen the dealer besides buying it was for a warranty issue. Changing oil on jack stands only takes an hour tops.

Life happens OP, hope it all works out and the car is fine. I bet the long commute over Highway works in your favor. I'm also eagerly awaiting pics and updates. Hope you get power and heat ASAP!
I should also add that some A-hole puts the new filters on a little tight sometimes. I hate my past self at times, but no leaks! I think I need to get on a rotation of Wheaties or no Wheaties when I change the oil instead of mixed like it seems. Actually thinking about it, I likely get pissed off at my past self and then the new filter goes on while blood is boiling a bit. Future self might need to take a breath.

OP
OP

DIB_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have an update for yall. I was able to change my oil yesterday, wasn't fun crawling around on the cold wet ground but I got it done. I caught about half a cup worth of the first part of the drained oil in a jar. It is black and very thick. The rest I caught in a drain pan and also still have, looks terrible and has a film of sludge on the top. I poured about half a quart of new oil in towards the end of the drain to flush out whatever extra sludge it would get. Accounting for the extra pint I poured in, and the uncaught spillage from changing the filter, I only had about 3 quarts of oil drain out... I put about 7 and a half quarts back in to hit full on the dipstick. The car is running like new now, way more quiet and smooth. The knock has yet to re-manifest. I'm back at work today, will take whatever pics or videos are requested when I get home this evening. I will try to get the oil filter cut open soon, but I need to locate the blown freeze plug on my wife's truck this evening and check the oil for coolant.
Sponsored