Sponsored

4th Gen Differential Howl

Burgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Taco
Looks like Toyota did not fix the infamous diff howl that plagued a lot of 3rd gens. Except now instead of doing it around 55mph it seems to be at 70-75mph when lightly on the throttle. As soon as I lift off the gas it stops. I found one other owner with a 24 TRD Sport who had the exact same symptoms at the exact same speed, their dealer replaced the rear end and the noise went away. My dealer is telling me that's how Toyota designed it lol. Ive been to the dealer twice in the last 10 days for this issue. Truck currently has 700 miles. Highway driving is unbearable.

Sponsored

ridetime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited, 2023 Wrangler 392, 23 X5 M50i
Looks like Toyota did not fix the infamous diff howl that plagued a lot of 3rd gens. Except now instead of doing it around 55mph it seems to be at 70-75mph when lightly on the throttle. As soon as I lift off the gas it stops. I found one other owner with a 24 TRD Sport who had the exact same symptoms at the exact same speed, their dealer replaced the rear end and the noise went away. My dealer is telling me that's how Toyota designed it lol. Ive been to the dealer twice in the last 10 days for this issue. Truck currently has 700 miles. Highway driving is unbearable.

Does the dealer have another truck you could drive with the service manager to show them the difference? I would also call Toyota and get a ticket opened. It may show them your not going to just let it go because they blew off your initial complaint saying it is normal.

OP
OP

Burgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Taco
700 miles isn't even close to being worn in. Revisit it around 2500 miles.
yea no way ill make it to 2500 miles having to listen to this. Video doesn't do it justice. I can turn the radio volume all the way up and still hear it. Ive had two separate people riding in the truck asking me what the noise is.

OP
OP

Burgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Taco
Does the dealer have another truck you could drive with the service manager to show them the difference? I would also call Toyota and get a ticket opened. It may show them your not going to just let it go because they blew off your initial complaint saying it is normal.
Im going to call Toyota in the morning and see what they say.
Sponsored