4 Piston Brembo Rear Brake Upgrade

Fishtales

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2001 Harley, 1964 Volkswagen Beetle, 2016 Toyota Avalon
Does anyone know if a rear kit exists for the M1?
This would be one of the first upgrades I would want to do.
Disappointed that this wasn't included in the car.
Sponsored

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Just buy a Gt350 for the same price and get a car that was designed from the ground up to be a race car
LOL race car

It’s too bad there isn’t a gt350 sub forum on this board to, you know, talk about gt350’s. You should ask a mod to create one!

Bulldogs22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
That’s why OP is referring to the brakes that come standard on the 350. Too bad the Mach 1 couldn’t borrow all the parts.
LOL race car

It’s too bad there isn’t a gt350 sub forum on this board to, you know, talk about gt350’s. You should ask a mod to create one!

Sponsored

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s why OP is referring to the brakes that come standard on the 350. Too bad the Mach 1 couldn’t borrow all the parts.
If it borrowed all the parts there wouldn’t have been a reason to change the name to Mach 1. They could have just continued calling it the gt350. Some of us are thankful it didn’t borrow all the parts, particularly the 5.2

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
If it borrowed all the parts there wouldn’t have been a reason to change the name to Mach 1. They could have just continued calling it the gt350. Some of us are thankful it didn’t borrow all the parts, particularly the 5.2
Oh, BURN! That wasn't real nice now was it?

Bulldogs22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
You’re right who would want a 25k engine that revs to 8250 and is bespoke to one car and isn’t shared with a truck.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
You’re right who would want a 25k engine that revs to 8250 and is bespoke to one car and isn’t shared with a truck.
If it didn't last like 10K miles, and vibrate like a MoFo, maybe. Ha ha. Having said that, the VooDoo engine is the best flat-crank V8 I've heard... but I still prefer the sound of the cross-plane Coyote on my Bullitt. It's a matter of taste though. My brother's Ferraris sound like a souped-up 4-banger out of tune, at least from the outside. Ha ha.

And to answer to the OP, I agree the rear brakes look like crap when front calipers are nice-looking 6-piston Brembos (like on my Bullitt too). But from the functional standpoint, I don't think they're really needed, since the great majority of the braking is done up front. The only exception to that is if the car didn't have a LSD (and it has the best one IMO -Torsen), since the ESC/TV would use the rear brakes a lot, but unless a tire is in the air, the Torsen basically reacts instantly if one of the rear tires slip for some reason. A good test would be to measure rotor/caliper temperature after a track session, to see the temperature difference. What could have been upgraded for sure are the rear rotors, which I believe are not vented, like the front ones. Or does the Mach1 have different rear rotors than the Bullitts???

Last edited:

Bulldogs22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
If it didn't last like 10K miles, and vibrate like a MoFo, maybe. Ha ha. Having said that, the VooDoo engine is the best flat-crank V8 I've heard... but I still prefer the sound of the cross-plane Coyote on my Bullitt. It's a matter of taste though. My brother's Ferraris sound like a souped-up 4-banger out of tune, at least from the outside. Ha ha.

And to answer to the OP, I agree the rear brakes look like crap when front calipers are nice-looking 6-piston Brembos (like on my Bullitt too). But from the functional standpoint, I don't think they're really needed, since the great majority of the braking is done up front. The only exception to that is if the car didn't have a LSD (and it has the best one IMO -Torsen), since the ESC/TV would use the rear brakes a lot, but unless a tire is in the air, the Torsen basically reacts instantly if one of the rear tires slip for some reason. A good test would be to measure rotor/caliper temperature after a track session, to see the temperature difference. What could have been upgraded for sure are the rear rotors, which I believe are not vented, like the front ones. Or does the Mach1 have different rear rotors than the Bullitts???
I have no issue with the Mach 1 or was even trying to start an argument. If OP is worried about that then sounds like he is definitely gonna track it, so was just offering another perspective that could potentially save him some $ on something that already offers it. The 5.2 is not perfect I realize that, but like you said the sound alone is worth it and life is too short to worry. My dads 5.0 threw a rod through the block at 12k miles and he instantly got another one.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn’t want that at all. Which is why I waited for the Mach 1 instead of buying a gt350. I don’t see the sense in a 25k engine for this type of car. The difference in revs will have no impact for me. I couldn’t care less what models Ford chooses to put the 5.0 in. And of the 4 people I know that have a voodoo, 3 have had engine replacements. Small sample size of course but coupled with the number of posts I’ve seen about oil consumption and engine trouble, no thanks. That is not to put down the gt350. I think it’s very cool but not everyone wants one. That’s where the Mach 1 fits in.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
considering the entire GT350 brake kit for the GT is available from FP and has NO language stating how you're gonna die if you use it without super-special ABS calibration and such (not to mention Wilwood kits), I don't buy this whole EPS/ABS tuning "speshul" crap one bit. Buy the $3500 kit and be done with it.

Yes, it would have been nice if the Mach1 came with it. It would have made the asking price slightly more palatable.

51NNED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Even if you're going to be tracking once in a while, the rears will be fine. If you're a hardcore racer then sure, change them. I haven't changed the rears on my E36 ever (fronts are AP 4 pots) and its been fine. You're overthinking it.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Even if you're going to be tracking once in a while, the rears will be fine. If you're a hardcore racer then sure, change them. I haven't changed the rears on my E36 ever (fronts are AP 4 pots) and its been fine. You're overthinking it.
Biggest reason for me to go with the 4 piston is to get rid of the annoying knocking from rear callipers after use on track because of the stupid and most importantly cheap design of the 1. piston rears. Mine are knocking for the past 2 seasons sure the rebuild is cheap for them but it's annoying as hell and you have to do it a lot because rear brakes especially if you drive with TC on will overheat and make callipers start knocking. Another cheap design ford did to the car to not make it suitable for track use. So the 4 piston upgrade in the rear is a must just so you keep your sanity.

WCRookie99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2010 Porsche Carrera S, 2022 LH5
Biggest reason for me to go with the 4 piston is to get rid of the annoying knocking from rear callipers after use on track because of the stupid and most importantly cheap design of the 1. piston rears. Mine are knocking for the past 2 seasons sure the rebuild is cheap for them but it's annoying as hell and you have to do it a lot because rear brakes especially if you drive with TC on will overheat and make callipers start knocking. Another cheap design ford did to the car to not make it suitable for track use. So the 4 piston upgrade in the rear is a must just so you keep your sanity.
Can you describe the knock? FYI, rear Brembo's (for a Mustang) are a total waist of money, if they're purchased because you want to go faster. Or maybe better stated, I would spend that money elsewhere first.

TC, I get will burn out the stock pads and/or warp the rotor. Is that the knock, because of the rotor. Please post a photo.
Sponsored