corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Yes, but from a financial point of view if you cant meet expected IRR, that capital investment can be better utilized elsewhere. However, there is a body of evidence that many companies set EIRR too high leaving worthy projects unfunded.
So we're going (or have already gone) from expanding/diversifying to contracting/specializing, with too much input from the business-educated side and not enough from 'product' happening in both cases?

I wonder if the Mustang would have happened at all if the corporate mindset back in the late 1950's and early 1960's was what it seems to be today.

Norm
Sponsored

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
So we're going (or have already gone) from expanding/diversifying to contracting/specializing, with too much input from the business-educated side and not enough from 'product' happening in both cases?

I wonder if the Mustang would have happened at all if the corporate mindset back in the late 1950's and early 1960's was what it seems to be today.

Norm
Very true, and I totally agree with you. I think that many of these companies would probably be able to take more risks that could pay huge in the end if they were mostly private. Driving a company via. stock market responses can cause illogical and risk-averse decisions, at least from what I have seen.

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
I'm with ya man. Everybody is assuming this 4 door performance car will be named "Mustang." It won't. They won't pull a Charger...
Exactly. If Ford were to make such a vehicle, it would probably be a Lincoln, aimed at ATS, CLS, and A7 buyers. This would be a benefit to the Mustang, allowing cost sharing of major components like drive train and suspension, e.g., Camaro/ATS.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
What I remember fondly as a child, is the old Ford LTD's and Buick Electra's.

You know, those Big Beautiful Battleships rollin' down the highway with 455ci engines. I felt like I was on top of the world sitting on those big leather covered bench seats, and a trunk you could fill with enough groceries to feed an Army, if needed (we had 7 kids in our family). The current S550 platform is actually quite well suited to build a full sized family car with a big ol' V8 engine if Ford really wanted. I'm not sure how well it would be received though.

One thing is for certain. I love my Mustang, mainly because I have plenty of leg, and boat loads of elbow room, which a somewhat tall guy like me (~6'2"), really appreciates.

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
yaaaa...NO. Mustang 4 door would be a fail. Now if they could produce something that would compete with the Charger...at the same price point then maybe but absolutely no with a stretched mustang. Falcon or Fairlane if they are gonna do that.
I'd be ok with it if they called it the Falcon and it looked like the rendering I have seen. I just bought a new car so I'll be in the market when year 2 hits if the car is released in 2020 or 2021. I highly doubt a turbo V8 but the 400hp AWD 3.0, hell yes I'd be interested!

Sponsored

OP
OP

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Orange Fury

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
So what's being suggested is that a product could still be profitable but get axed anyway for not meeting rate of return expectations? Sounds like a potentially crappy deal if what you want doesn't line up with what the mainstream buyer wants . . .

Norm
See: manual transmissions.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
See: manual transmissions.
Up until recently, that's been the big issue.

These days, the difficulty in getting a car with MT is getting some challenge from the difficulty in getting a non-entry-level vehicle that you don't need to stand on a step-stool in order to wash its roof.

Norm

latemade5.8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Since they retired Falcon in Australia they should definitely bring it back to the states. A 4 door "Falcon" would make more sense. Put the eco from a mustang in the base models, the 3.5 eco from the SHO in premium versions, then a turbo v8 in a performance version. All in price ranges to compete with the Dodge charger. I would be on board with that.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I rented a Falcon in Australia back 10 years ago. Took it to Lightning Ridge to pick up some black opals. The car was awesome. Like the Ranger in Australia. Thankfully Ford of North America saw the light to bring the Ranger here (with changes). But, the Falcon was cool and lots of 'em everywhere in Sydney back then. The Outback is full of Rangers. Every police car I saw was a Ranger with the roof height snorkel to make it through the floods that occur there (like the wash issues in AZ).

Sponsored

ohtobbad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I believe if Ford builds a 4 door Mustang it will take away from everything it has become and represents.
Mustang is an Icon as it stands and IMO will lose a great deal of what makes it special.
I hope Ford does not go down this road, for 4 door profits will come at a far greater cost.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
I believe if Ford builds a 4 door Mustang it will take away from everything it has become and represents.
Mustang is an Icon as it stands and IMO will lose a great deal of what makes it special.
I hope Ford does not go down this road, for 4 door profits will come at a far greater cost.
They could just call the 4 door Falcon or Thunderbird.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Or Fairlane . . .

Fusion would be better still, and better aligned with any hybrid or EV possibilities down the road.

Norm

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
Don't forget about the Mustang wagon :puke:

ford-mustang-suv-redner.jpg

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
Don't forget about the Mustang wagon :puke:

ford-mustang-suv-redner.jpg
That I would buy, just call it something other than a mustang, but with it really being just a mustang wagon with all the mustang performance options, 5.0, PP1/2, magneride, active exhaust, etc.
Sponsored