Sponsored

4.09 Gears in 2019+ M6 questions

Superspirit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The torsen is debatable, the wife's Ecoboost pp1 has it and my gt has the trac loc. We Both dislike the feeling in hers when the torsen kicks in in a corner. Much prefer the trac loc myself.
Sponsored

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
The torsen is debatable, the wife's Ecoboost pp1 has it and my gt has the trac loc. We Both dislike the feeling in hers when the torsen kicks in in a corner. Much prefer the trac loc myself.
Perhaps it's subjective then, with the trac loc, when you lock it up, both tires drive straight, and so depending what your steering angle is, you are understeering and increasingly likely to drive off the turn or into a wall, and just a tick later, you're fighting extreme oversteer with the rear only a moment from coming all the way around, losing valuable time trying to catch and correct instead of accelerating out. Driven with the Torsen, I just put my foot down, and modulate the throttle to get the angle just as I want it, and assuming you've got good grip and tires, you can generally exit with more speed and much more control. I mean, there's a good reason they have it in the PP and GT350's, and I feel a strong reason behind why so many think that they're great handling cars -- and they are.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
when you lock it up, both tires drive straight, and so depending what your steering angle is, you are understeering and increasingly likely to drive off the turn or into a wall, and just a tick later, you're fighting extreme oversteer with the rear only a moment from coming all the way around, losing valuable time trying to catch and correct instead of accelerating out.
Not my experience at all with trac loc.

Marketplaza

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT shadow black and 18 dodge caravan
Good to hear. Did you upgrade your clutch as well? Who did you use for the vortech 93 tune?
I used beef cake for the special. But I didn’t upgrade my clutch yet. Just my opg/sprocket. I used Lund for my tune.

Jm28192

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I see you have a 2018 but this info is flat 100% wrong for the 2019+ manual cars with rev match. For those cars, a tune IS REQUIRED.

This seems like an important clarification for anyone who might be searching this thread in the future.
Do you know what about the rev match causes the need for a retune? Only asking because I have a 2021 manual and am looking into swapping to 4.09's soon, however when I talked to my tuner he said no change was required on his end, like others have nentioned, he did mention changing tire size when I reflash the tune though, Trying to figure out if I need to find a new tuner or not lol.

Is changing tire size in the tune all that is necessary or are there things/reasons a complete retune is needed?

Sponsored

Superspirit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Do you know what about the rev match causes the need for a retune? Only asking because I have a 2021 manual and am looking into swapping to 4.09's soon, however when I talked to my tuner he said no change was required on his end, like others have nentioned, he did mention changing tire size when I reflash the tune though, Trying to figure out if I need to find a new tuner or not lol.

Is changing tire size in the tune all that is necessary or are there things/reasons a complete retune is needed?
You need to find another tuner. From 19 on the gear ratio must be changed in the pcm. In 18 it would learn from bcm. They changed that in 19. Several threads on here with horror stories because they didn't get the proper tune. One guy had to have Lund redo his tune 3 times.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual

Do you know anyone with a Procal 4? This programmer will let you change the rear gear ratio.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Last edited:

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
Do you know anyone with a Procal 4? This programmer will let you change the rear gear ratio.
Procal4 is not locked to a certain vin to do this? If not, this is good to know.
Asked the dealer for a price to change speed-o for tire size change. Considering the ProCal but for the $$$ ....

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Procal4 is not locked to a certain vin to do this? If not, this is good to know.
Asked the dealer for a price to change speed-o for tire size change. Considering the ProCal but for the $$$ ....
The VIN lock appears to be done on the PC software side. You can't load/unload tunes without the VIN matching the tune. I don't have another Mustang to plug my Procal 4 in to verify the tools and gear change functions are accessible. It should work.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
The VIN lock appears to be done on the PC software side. You can't load/unload tunes without the VIN matching the tune. I don't have another Mustang to plug my Procal 4 in to verify the tools and gear change functions are accessible. It should work.
This could be very interesting.

If the procal will alter the gearing without uploading a tune, I wonder if it could also be used to update to 4:09 gearing on my 2020 EU spec without requiring a tune (and therefore without 'obviously' voiding warranty) ?

WD :like:

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
This could be very interesting.

If the procal will alter the gearing without uploading a tune, I wonder if it could also be used to update to 4:09 gearing on my 2020 EU spec without requiring a tune (and therefore without 'obviously' voiding warranty) ?

WD :like:
Until someone tries it we won't know for sure.

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base
That would be great if you can make a gear change with a procal 4 without loading a tune. hopefully someone tries this. I really don't want to tune my car but do want to go with 4.09's!

Jm28192

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Let me ask yall's opinion on this, earlier today I swapped the car back over to E85 and when I changed the tune, it asked what gear ratio the car has, with 4.10 being an option. I wonder if that's what he meant by no change needed from him?

It had been so long since I'd swapped tunes that I forgot it asked tire size and gear ratio every time you change tunes.

Unless any of you are aware of something that has to be written in the tune itself, Im guessing that is sufficient for the car to run right. I would also think the difference from 4.09 to 4.10 would be negligible unless someone knows otherwise?
Sponsored