kevin923

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang
Hey guys,

So I’ve been wanting to add more aggression to the rear end of my 2016 mustang. I’ve been thinking about either getting louvers or a spoiler, however I’ve hesitated against a spoiler because I don’t want to drill holes into my trunk. But I started looking, and it seems like using 3M tape on relatively smaller spoilers, the like MMD by FOOSE spoiler from AM, isn’t such a bad idea? Am I crazy? How reliably would this work?

Thanks
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I've got an RTR style one on my car with only 3M and no issues but I think the bigger you go, the more you might actually need to drill in to ensure a secure fit. I'd like the new GT350/GT500 swing style one, but not sure how well that would hold up without actually bolting it on due to the larger design.

OP
OP

kevin923

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang
I've got an RTR style one on my car with only 3M and no issues but I think the bigger you go, the more you might actually need to drill in to ensure a secure fit. I'd like the new GT350/GT500 swing style one, but not sure how well that would hold up without actually bolting it on due to the larger design.
How long have you had it on the car? How has the 3M held up?

DavisCustoms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost Premium
I can tell you this... on my 07 Steeda Fusion, I had a small 3D Carbon lip spoiler at the top of the rear glass, it came loose 4 times over ~6 years.
Each time the dealer re-installed with the proper 3M Tape and 3M adhesion promoter.
I ended up using Dow BetaSeal Express windshield urethane and Dow BetaSeal 5504G primer (same thing Ford uses on the Ford Transit side panel Recall) to permanently attach it to the glass, never came off again for the remaining 5 years I had the car.
Roof Spoiler.jpg

OP
OP

kevin923

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang
I can tell you this... on my 07 Steeda Fusion, I had a small 3D Carbon lip spoiler at the top of the rear glass, it came loose 4 times over ~6 years.
Each time the dealer re-installed with the proper 3M Tape and 3M adhesion promoter.
I ended up using Dow BetaSeal Express windshield urethane and Dow BetaSeal 5504G primer (same thing Ford uses on the Ford Transit side panel Recall) to permanently attach it to the glass, never came off again for the remaining 5 years I had the car.
Roof Spoiler.jpg
Hmm, ok. Very interesting.

Sponsored

Elvis66

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT ..2014 Camaro ..72 Chevelle ..67 LeMans..97 4runner..2001 tundra
On my 15 I had roush spoiler held on with 3M tape never had any issues.. but using 3M adhesive promoter is a must if you want the best results

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
How long have you had it on the car? How has the 3M held up?
Got to be close to a year by now, ordered it back in December 2018 and no issues with the tape at all. Used VHB and adhesion promoter, also clayed and alcohol wiped the area before putting the spoiler on.

When I did mount, the weather was warm (typical Florida 80s) and I left some old text books sitting on the flat edge for over an hour to make sure it held well.

sw686blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red Mustang GT PP
I have the Roush spoiler and it is attached with tape only. Has not budged at all in 3 years. If you get a bigger or heavier spoiler, then you may very well need to drill and bolt it down.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
brief forays to 80mph is no biggie. Sustained high speeds (over 100) might well be trouble though.
Sponsored