Sponsored

3M tape not sticking on GT 500 Swing...will I be ok?

RonsterGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
‘22 5.0 GT/‘16 F150 XLT/‘21 Explorer Platinum
Hi everyone!

My car is finally ready and I noticed the front, outer corners of the spoiler don't stick down very well (red circle). 3M not adhering.
The centre section seems very solid (green circle). No lift or movement.

It’s almost like the 3M tape is too thin? There’s a bit of a gap or flex of the spoiler in this area.

The bolts seem solid. I'm going to add some butyl around the bolts/holes from the underside to waterproof.

The car was sent out for ceramic coating, and I forgot to mention to the tech he needed to remove the ceramic coating prior to spoiler install. My bad.

I don't track my car, would rarely see speeds over 85-90 mph.

There is a very small gap at the corners/ends, but not aesthetically unpleasant.

My concern is spoiler staying put at highway speeds.

4DE95A2C-3C3E-4317-A841-7ACAD6C07C16.jpeg
Thoughts?

Thank you.
Sponsored

Last edited:

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
It happened to my ecoboost w the ford gt350 over time. It was fine
Your wing still has bolts. It won’t ever come off

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
The tape not sticking creates more of an issue with washing the car/rain water getting into the truck lid wholes more than anything else.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
my comment is assuming you actually correctly mounted it using the hardware/bolts. some people buy these wings and use 3m tape to hold them without bolts. (I would never ever EVER) suggest doing that. but people do.

he is correct above. aesthetics aside, if it has bolts, you have no worries about anything ever happening. take that worry off your mind of it flying off.

some people don't have stock bolt holes, because factory didn't come with a spoiler, so a lot of people are intimidated by drilling and just slap a ton of 3m on bottom, it'll hold for awhile, but eventually I do believe from heat/cold and soaps etc, will eventually lift any spoiler over the long haul.

OP
OP
RonsterGT

RonsterGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
my comment is assuming you actually correctly mounted it using the hardware/bolts. some people buy these wings and use 3m tape to hold them without bolts. (I would never ever EVER) suggest doing that. but people do.

he is correct above. aesthetics aside, if it has bolts, you have no worries about anything ever happening. take that worry off your mind of it flying off.

some people don't have stock bolt holes, because factory didn't come with a spoiler, so a lot of people are intimidated by drilling and just slap a ton of 3m on bottom, it'll hold for awhile, but eventually I do believe from heat/cold and soaps etc, will eventually lift any spoiler over the long haul.
This is the Ford Performance version with bolts and tape.
Aesthetically, the gap is so minor, one has to look very closely to see it.
I picked up some butyl for the bolt holes. I'll stuff it everywhere lol.
Thanks for the reply.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RonsterGT

RonsterGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
The tape not sticking creates more of an issue with washing the car/rain water getting into the truck lid wholes more than anything else.
Yeah I read some guys had minor water issues. Gonna use a shit-ton of butyl from the underside to seal it.
Thanks for the reply.

nustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT, performance pak, active exhaust
the trick with 3M tape is to seal it. clear silicone seal around edges so moisture (car washes) dont get under the tape. Had this issue with my rear window louver mounting pads. worked perfect.
instructions with the original set mentioned this. Instructions with replacement pads after transfered to my new mustang didnt. So I left that step out. Month later 2 of 'em were floating.
siliconed them and all good now, several touchless car washes later.
use masking tape on paint to mask the paint 1/16" from the edge of the 3M, so it's a clean line

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I've never heard of that trick. Proper materials and proper surface prep make all the difference. I can guarantee that the factory doesn't take the time to properly apply these spoilers. Failing to use adhesion promoter and not using 3M VHB (the black stuff) results in an install that eventually fails. I had to painstakingly undo Fords craptacular work. My spoiler is still solidly attached two years later whereas the adhesive failed shortly after I bought the car brand new.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Mine was lifting at the corners as well. Ended up double layering the tape in that area.

nustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT, performance pak, active exhaust
I've never heard of that trick. Proper materials and proper surface prep make all the difference. I can guarantee that the factory doesn't take the time to properly apply these spoilers. Failing to use adhesion promoter and not using 3M VHB (the black stuff) results in an install that eventually fails. I had to painstakingly undo Fords craptacular work. My spoiler is still solidly attached two years later whereas the adhesive failed shortly after I bought the car brand new.

yep prep both times was thorough, Alcohol, adhesion promoter, let set overnight.

I blame spray carwashes for the most part ... but we also get a lot of rain in the winter months here. YMMV in warmer/drier climates.

Silicone tip in original instructions was right on.
Sponsored