Sponsored

3M or Other Double-Sided Tape for Front License Plate?

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
I am still a fan of Craig's Custom Bracket solution, which also utilizes 3M tape but includes a bracket set-up that braces the plate so aerodynamic effects don't shear it off the car. I had one on my '15 GT previously and never had an issue with it after some revisions were made to the tape, assembly, and bracket. It was on the car for well over 2 years and went through all kinds of weather and highway speeds. See here and here.
Sponsored

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
If the plate is required why not just screw on a plate holder like every other car that needs a front licence plate?

If you want to remove the plate good luck. Double sided tape strong enough for this purpose won't come off easily or at all. This would be just as permanent as screws.
Completely false. There is no double sided tape permanent enough that it can't be removed with steam or heat and an adhesive remover and with zero damage to the paint.

choate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10 401A with Active Exhaust
I guess everyone is different but to me those stow and go plates suck especially if you’re lowered. First dip or curb you scrape on the plate and bracket are both ruined.

Craig’s all the way here. 30 second plate removal or replacement and it goes in the proper place not way low covering the lower grill or even worse way off to the side and low. Even more odd looking

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
Completely false. There is no double sided tape permanent enough that it can't be removed with steam or heat and an adhesive remover and with zero damage to the paint.
Fully agree. I was able to get all tape and residue off on my '15 GT with no issues.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Still running no plate. No further warnings. Also, look at the number of cars/trucks that actually do not have a license plate when you're driving around. It's pretty dumb.

Sponsored

drive_55_not

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Coyote, S197 3v, 2018 Gen3 [RIP], 2020 Challenger 'Cat

We use 3M VHB tape at my work to attach signage to towers that we can't otherwise drill holes in to attach,, I can guarantee if you use that to attach a plate to the bumper, it won't be coming off without damaging the bumper.

We've had signs held on by that stuff survive hurricane force winds that ripped ripped the tower out of the ground, but those signs were still attached..

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
We use 3M VHB tape at my work to attach signage to towers that we can't otherwise drill holes in to attach,, I can guarantee if you use that to attach a plate to the bumper, it won't be coming off without damaging the bumper.

We've had signs held on by that stuff survive hurricane force winds that ripped ripped the tower out of the ground, but those signs were still attached..

You're wrong.

I've removed several objects held on with VHB.

Sorry, it's not that strong. You need heat or steam to remove it, but it comes off.

TripleB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Snack Pack- Whipple Stage 2
Last edited:

AlphaCoyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/ PP, 2018 Honda Accord 1.5 Sport
I've never gotten pulled over for no front license plate, but when i get pulled over for speeding they usually ask where its at. I've been driving w/o a front license plate for 3 years.

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
I've never gotten pulled over for no front license plate, but when i get pulled over for speeding they usually ask where its at. I've been driving w/o a front license plate for 3 years.
Same here. I keep it in the trunk. I know I face a possible ticket, but I accept the risk. No issue this year with the po-po.

Sponsored
OP
OP
TicTocTach

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
Hi,

Is that tape easy to remove? Any issues with the paint? I don't mind buffing after removing it. I was caught by LEO for no front plate as well but I don't want to keep the plate on either.
I'm planning on replacing the tape every few years when it appears that it's getting weak. The car is garaged at home and at work, so exposure to the elements is low. I'm anticipating using some heavy fishing line to shear the foam, and then clean up the residue with adhesive remover before reapplying the plate. At this point all I can say for sure is that 4 months on the car, there is no hint that the plate is coming loose.

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver '18 GT 400a PP1
I've been pulled over only once for my plate. and I had been speeding but he didn't mention that. was a bit odd cause he followed me for a little while before flipping the lights on.

I had the plate in the back underneath the front seat and he just gave me a written warning.

I think they were on the hunt that day though cause there were multiple cops working that intersection. in the past I've gone by numerous cops and never had a second glance.

wife doesn't have one either and she's been pulled over once and got verbal warning. I'll probably put one on her car, it just didn't come with a bracket and I haven't gotten around to it.

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver '18 GT 400a PP1
This is all I did. Drilled 4 holes in the plate, couple tie wraps, done.
q6FXjZjq56LoRG34a3H2era_aujZqw8iXbqmOdhtOLDAc9Ikoa5R4LUXJPLhuJbafeQNhWIQ&_nc_ht=scontent.fybz2-1.jpg
I like that option. not sure it'd work here in Texas though as I think technically the state name needs to be unblocked but I;d guess it's better than nothing.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I like that option. not sure it'd work here in Texas though as I think technically the state name needs to be unblocked but I;d guess it's better than nothing.
Yeah luckily I cut the plate to leave the 'Friendly Manitoba' motto intact. Other then that zero hassles. Cause up here it's only the rear plate that photo enforcement vehicles / red light cameras capture.
Sponsored