3D printed oil change apparatus - Oil filter funnel

Status
Not open for further replies.

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L
@pilotgore, I'm going to be on the north side on Thursday afternoon. If you want a beta tester for the product by someone who has a spin-on filter, I'm happy to help. I have Mid-Ohio coming up in 2 weeks anyway, so I was planning to change my oil next weekend regardless.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
pilotgore

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
@pilotgore, I'm going to be on the north side on Thursday afternoon. If you want a beta tester for the product by someone who has a spin-on fiter, I'm happy to help. I have Mid-Ohio coming up in 2 weeks anyway, so I was planning to change my oil next weekend regardless.
Thanks Gary, that’d be perfect!

Hennessey"R"

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2010 Acura TSX, 2014 Acura MDX, 2017 GT350R
Please let us know after the beta testers are done and u want to sell the finale product! I tried using a bendable funnel and it still a pain. I had to drop the skid plate to clean all the oil that ran into it!

OP
OP
pilotgore

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Please let us know after the beta testers are done and u want to sell the finale product! I tried using a bendable funnel and it still a pain. I had to drop the skid plate to clean all the oil that ran into it!
Absolutely, will do. Thanks for the interest!

Even though I’ve used it twice on my own car, I’m highly self conscious and want to make 100% sure others like it as much as I do before selling them to other owners on the forum.

That being said, I’ve sold 10 in the last few days to people who said they don’t care :)

Im also prototyping a funnel to add oil to the 350 as we speak. Something that fits into the stock opener and doesn’t require you to to hold the funnel as you add oil. I’ll update with pictures when the next version of the prototype is done printing tomorrow.

P8K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Hello @pilotgore,
Is this designed specifically for the GT350 or will it work on the Gen #3, 5.0 Coyote engines?

Sponsored

OP
OP
pilotgore

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Hello @pilotgore,
Is this designed specifically for the GT350 or will it work on the Gen #3, 5.0 Coyote engines?
Unfortunately, I don’t know. Can you snap a picture of the oil filter as viewed from the driver side tire well?

meterman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R KR785
Nice job on the video Jon.

OP
OP
pilotgore

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Thanks to everyone whose shown interest in both the oil drain guide, and the oil funnel! The sheer number of PM's I've received has been crazy and its hard to keep up. I appreciate everyones patience in helping me bring something useful to the community.

My current bottleneck is printing capacity (13.5 hrs for the oil drain guide, and 9 hrs for the regular funnel.) After thinking about how I want to sell these pieces, I've decided I'm going to start by selling them as a pair for $65 plus shipping (usually $7). With selling only pairs at first it'll make promised delivery times predictable as I'll be able to knock out one set per day. Once I'm able to fulfill all the orders for the combo, then I'll start selling the pieces individually (I'll be sure to update this and the other thread, so match sure you're watching the thread and setup to receive notifications.). At this time, I don't have plans to sell the STL files, sorry!

If you're interested in purchasing the combo, please send me a PM with your shipping info. I'll be selling them on a first come first served basis.

I have 2 full sets printed and ready to ship today, then after that It'll be one set per day. Some pieces will be black, some orange, and some clear (which comes out as almost an opaque white, but I think it looks cool.) If you have a specific preference of color, let me know, I'll do my best to accommodate color requests, but I can tell you orange will probably be limited to 4 sets.

Mods, if I need to become a sponsor in order to be able to advertise these for sale, I'm happy to become one. I looked on the forum for how to become a sponsor, but I couldn't find any info.

Thanks again to everyone for your interest and patience!

IMG_5912.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored

Threebanger

I am legend.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bray
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT350
Vehicle Showcase
PM sent

Gearz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
I used the oil drain funnel yesterday and can say it fits and works great! I was curious of how well it would stay held up against the block but found that the fit onto the boss for the oil filter and the tabs that wedge between the chassis and steering boot held it very securely. I also have the Ronin drain plug that uses a hose to drain straight into the pan so for the first time ever I was able to do a complete oil change without spilling a drop onto the car. This thing has me considering getting a 3D printer. It's a great execution of a great idea and a problem that has needed this sort of solution.

PXL_20210808_194609784.jpg

OP
OP
pilotgore

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
I used the oil drain funnel yesterday and can say it fits and works great! I was curious of how well it would stay held up against the block but found that the fit onto the boss for the oil filter and the tabs that wedge between the chassis and steering boot held it very securely. I also have the Ronin drain plug that uses a hose to drain straight into the pan so for the first time ever I was able to do a complete oil change without spilling a drop onto the car. This thing has me considering getting a 3D printer. It's a great execution of a great idea and a problem that has needed this sort of solution.

PXL_20210808_194609784.jpg
Thanks for posting your experience!!

Lytheum

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2013 Boss 302, 1966 GT Fastback
How did beta testing go for the spin on filter?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.