3D printed oil change apparatus - Oil filter funnel

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
I don't know what to say except, I'm sorry and it wasn't intentional. I harbor no ill will towards anyone on the forum and generally steer away from drama related stuff. I geniunly have no clue how you got on my ignore list. I think every other person who's sent me a PM will confirm I respond very quickly.

Again, my bad.
Meh, it’s alright... I’m sure I’ve been on other people’s ignore list. You have a swell product. I’m sure it will do well.
Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Nice... I’m gonna take an omen. No disrespect, but it’s my currency, and first impressions mean a lot.
Can't blame you for that. Very much an individual decision, and after 2 x GT350s, you've managed to change your oil just fine.

meterman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R KR785
So I finally had a chance to use the custom made oil filter funnel and I'm happy to say this funnel was amazing. I've changed my oil twice prior using a form-a-funnel and the trap door and it was a mess. No matter how I tried to wedge the form-a-funnel in there I still had significant oil spill.

This is a must have for anyone with a GT350/R. It was easy to use and worked just like the designer indicated it would in his video. Was there a some oil leakage, yes, did I use a paper towel in the belly pan, yes, did it all land in the paper towel, yes. All that was left to do was wipe off the engine block and it looked like new.

I also got the oil filler, 1st gen, and it worked great too.

Nice job @pilotgore on designing something from nothing and kicking ass!!

OP
OP
pilotgore

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
So I finally had a chance to use the custom made oil filter funnel and I'm happy to say this funnel was amazing. I've changed my oil twice prior using a form-a-funnel and the trap door and it was a mess. No matter how I tried to wedge the form-a-funnel in there I still had significant oil spill.

This is a must have for anyone with a GT350/R. It was easy to use and worked just like the designer indicated it would in his video. Was there a some oil leakage, yes, did I use a paper towel in the belly pan, yes, did it all land in the paper towel, yes. All that was left to do was wipe off the engine block and it looked like new.

I also got the oil filler, 1st gen, and it worked great too.

Nice job @pilotgore on designing something from nothing and kicking ass!!
Thanks, I appreciate the review!

Sponsored

Davesvt2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Pm sent

OP
OP
pilotgore

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Well. . . Apparently the oil filter guide I made for the gt350 fits the gt500, but the twist on funnel does not. Thanks to @Jmeo for being my beta tester. We should have the funnel portion worked out in the next week or so.

For all the spin-on 350 guys, you’re still on my radar for this winter!

FYI, I’ve worked through all of my orders, so if you want just an oil filter guide or set (guide and funnel), I have a few ready to ship.

Davesvt2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Got mine last week, can’t wait to use it in a few weeks before I put the car away for the winter !

guys, great seller here, fast shipping, great communication, and pics don’t it justice how sturdy this piece really is.

OP
OP
pilotgore

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
To everyone who has purchased one of the funnel guides, Thank You from the bottom of my heart. It's been fun getting these out into the wild and hearing many many success stories! After listening to feedback and continuing to test, I want to make a few recommendations/observations.

1: Make sure the filter guide is fully seated against the block to gaurentee the best seal possible/lowest oil loss. The best way to verify the guide is fully seated is to look through the trap door in the bottom of the belly pan, but for those who dont want to do that, just make sure its pushed up as far as it'll go.
- When its properly seated, the filter guide will sit up above the metal frame a few MM. The small tab on the left (when installed viewed from the wheel well) should be just in front of the metal plate. It usually doesn't make contact, but it might. The big tab on the right should be in between the 2/3 or 3/4 steering arm boot pleat.

2: We have discovered that by adding a small piece of duct tape (or anything else that will stick) to the inside of the funnel guide, covering half of the smallest cutout, you'll be minimizing drips. After performing 6 oil changes and watching where the oil was exiting, this is where we saw a fair amount exiting. (See pictures since I suck at explaining.). This design change has been implemented in the next version of the funnel guide.

Finally, @Gearz and I are in the process of redesigning the oil filter guide to incorporate some small design changes (including decreasing the size of the smallest cutout to minimize oil loss, and adding a recessed area on the bottom of the oil filter guide to let oil bypass when the filter housing is in the way. I have 7 oil filter guides that I pre-printed in anticipation of the GT500 rollout with the original design. For those of you who haven't purchased one yet, I'm willing to sell these for $28.50 including shipping. To those of you who have purchased at full price and would like an updated design, I'll sell you that piece for $28.50. In all honestly, once you've added the tape as discussed above, the new design isn't a significant upgrade over the original, but many of you have expressed interest in purchasing V2, should one ever come out.

If you'd like a leftover V1, send me a PM. If you've already purchased and would like to be put on the list for a V2, send me a PM so I can add you to the 4-5 week queue.

Thanks again to everyone who has been patient and stuck with me on this journey. This community Rocks!!

-Jon

IMG_0052.jpeg

IMG_0051.jpeg

Sponsored

Davesvt2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Used mine the other day for the first time, all I can say is wow, amazing job and great design.

I did use a small piece of tape like you suggested, but a small amount of oil still dripped out but it came down in a straight line and I had paper towels ready to go just in case.

NO oil got on the inside of the plastic belly tray, the guide worked as designed. Thank you for coming up with this idea, and very glad I bought it.

OP
OP
pilotgore

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Used mine the other day for the first time, all I can say is wow, amazing job and great design.

I did use a small piece of tape like you suggested, but a small amount of oil still dripped out but it came down in a straight line and I had paper towels ready to go just in case.

NO oil got on the inside of the plastic belly tray, the guide worked as designed. Thank you for coming up with this idea, and very glad I bought it.
Thanks Dave, I appreciate the feedback!! Hopefully V2.0 will fare better with the oil drips, but v1 is still light years ahead of the old form-a-funnel method!

Stay in touch!

V2 photos attached for chits and giggles.

EEE897FC-D71D-41D7-8DC1-5F52AEA78E28.jpeg

95C3A17F-30D8-466B-84FE-478F100AC638.jpeg

5657DA8D-8856-4985-9DAF-6D5C6167D993.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.