Sponsored

moby4dick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R
Just watched the video, loved watching the whole process. Does the Pantera get the same treatment?

OP
OP
MAGS1

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Can anyone here imagine taking their Mustang, and just leaving it parked for years like that, where the vehicle is covered in muck and never moved from that day?

Sponsored
OP
OP
MAGS1

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Can anyone here imagine taking their Mustang, and just leaving it parked for years like that, where the vehicle is covered in muck and never moved from that day?
I get antsy when I don’t drive mine for a day or two

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It's a lot of hard work and time keeping a classic going. Also, DeTomaso didn't build cars like Lincoln would have. The original Panteras had a lot of problems that didn't have easy solutions when the cars were new. This car could have overheated with low miles and the owner didn't want to sell but didn't know how to fix the issue. The kind of person who bought a Pantera new probably has a lot going on. I also understand the car guy thing where you end up with more cars and projects than you can handle, so some of them sit.

But yeah, I've always lusted after a Pantera and I hate to see one neglected. I would have one if I thought there was any chance I'd fit comfortably in it.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
The car has North Carolina dealer plates. I'm guessing the dealership owner drove the car until it seized, then moved on to something else. As Hack mentioned, the Pantera had lots of issues, so repairing them wasn't profitable back then... they sold poorly. Aside from reliability issues, they had lousy steering and handling. Most of the ones you see sold now have had major upgrades, especially the running gear.

I worked part-time at my uncle's used car lot back in the old days. He also ran the SE Wisconsin dealer auction, where I prepped cars. There were two Panteras that came up for auction that I recall. Neither was very old and looked like they were decently cared for. I wanted to buy one, but my uncle told me he would not sell it to me. "They are junk, they rust out from the inside and handle like a soap box racer."

Last edited:

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Bet you wish you hadn’t headed his advice now. Lol. What was considered big issue’s back then are simple fix’s now. It would be super cool to have one and do a limited resto mod on it.

The car has North Carolina dealer plates. I'm guessing the dealership owner drove the car until it seized, then moved on to something else. As Hack mentioned, the Pantera had lots of issues, so repairing them wasn't profitable back then... they sold poorly. Aside from reliability issues, they had lousy steering and handling. Most of the ones you see sold now have had major upgrades, especially the running gear.

I worked part-time at my uncle's used car lot back in the old days. He also ran the SE Wisconsin dealer auction, where I prepped cars. There were two Panteras that came up for auction that I recall. Neither was very old and looked like they were decently cared for. I wanted to buy one, but my uncle told me he would not sell it to me. "They are junk, they rust out from the inside and handle like a soap box racer."

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I wanted to buy one, but my uncle told me he would not sell it to me. "They are junk, they rust out from the inside and handle like a soap box racer."
He probably just didn't want to give you the family price on the car. AFAIK handling and rust weren't significant issues if they were well cared for. Mostly overheating was a problem and there were some fitment issues is what I've heard of.
Sponsored