Sponsored

300 miles, rock gash :(

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP
Check this nonsense out guys. Car is BRAND new. 300 miles, driving down the turnpike to my brothers house and when he gets there he points out this huge chip on the bumper. (okay maybe it's not huge, and its not on metal so its not a majorly big deal, but i'm anal and a perfectionist so its a HUGE deal to me.)

How would the pros here tackle this (without repainting the whole bumper)

Sponsored

ZackJones

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT/CS
I feel your pain. My first road trip from SC to NC and I picked up two chips in the hood :(. I've ordered touch up paint and plan to fix it this coming weekend.

OP
OP

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP

Sponsored

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
If you're an anal perfectionist (your words) and it bothers you, paint it.

Live with it imo. It's a Mustang, not a Rolls Royce. Touch up, and drive.

OP
OP

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP
Try Dr. Colorchip, it greatly helps covering these damages and can be also used for scratches.

https://www.drcolorchip.com/
will most likely be doing that but because of how deep the chip is and how raised it pushed the paint together i didnt think dcc would work. Wondering if i need to take a cutting pad to it first or even a wet sand?

If you're an anal perfectionist (your words) and it bothers you, paint it.

Live with it imo. It's a Mustang, not a Rolls Royce. Touch up, and drive.
Yeah... figuring out the best touch up process i can do for it though. Other than that you're correct and i agree. that doesnt mean i dont want my $45,000 car to have damage on it when its 1 week old.

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
none of those actually help me with solution.
Oh my bad I didn't think you needed me to explain that to fix missing paint you'll need to add more.

As for how you'll go about doing that, watch this video and pick up this tool:

[ame]

Thanks to Larry, you aren't going to find that for $10 on amazon like he mentions but either way there's your instructions.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Loew Cornell Paint Pen on Amazon is $15, but on Dick Blick and Joann it's less than $9. Shipping will determine where you buy it. Looks cool.

OP
OP

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP
Oh my bad I didn't think you needed me to explain that to fix missing paint you'll need to add more.

As for how you'll go about doing that, watch this video and pick up this tool:

Thanks to Larry, you aren't going to find that for $10 on amazon like he mentions but either way there's your instructions.
I got a little bit of unecessary sarcasm out of that.... I'm not too concerned with putting the paint back in so much as i am concerned with the raised texture thats already there. you can clearly see the paint next to the chip is like lumped up or something i really dont know how to describe it properly. As for the video, larry and AMMO are always fantastic for the anal among us; and that pen is super cool. thank you.

Refer to my first picture to see the lumpiness im talking about. zoomed in below:

32ce89e752.png

Sponsored

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
That's just one of what will be many, you better figure out some way to cope with it because by your own words you're taking a rock chip way to seriously. I hate to see you get a door ding and have to talk down off the ledge.

OP
OP

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP
That's just one of what will be many, you better figure out some way to cope with it because by your own words you're taking a rock chip way to seriously. I hate to see you get a door ding and have to talk down off the ledge.
I plan on doing a clear bra up front. once again i literally had the car for a week before this happened.

as for the door ding....
Had to get the first s550 repainted on each door. one was dented and down to metal, the other got keyed front of the door to the taillight.

2 weeks after buying it may 2016. Dont have pictures of it being keyed for some reason or at least i cant find them. the keying was about a month after i got it back from the body shop

58fbe30be6.jpg

c12df0fd23.jpg

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Dr Colorchip.
It's a car just fix it and drive. I refuse to spend almost $2k on clear bra on a sub $40k car that I won't keep longer than 6 years.
As for door ding, park at end spot preferably into the yellow zebra area so you have plenty space between the car and yellow line.

OP
OP

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP
Dr Colorchip.
It's a car just fix it and drive. I refuse to spend almost $2k on clear bra on a sub $40k car that I won't keep longer than 6 years.
As for door ding, park at end spot preferably into the yellow zebra area so you have plenty space between the car and yellow line.
Oh trust me i always park on end spots.. I live in a very quiet suburb, and the door ding was the ONLY time it was parked in the street for a total of about 2 hours.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Dude... I went through this stage of new car ownership myself.

Now... I have a huge gash in about the same spot from something that flew from the back of another car at Road Atlanta, about 1,000 little itty bitty rock chips from my bumper and even a few on the roof (thanks to Ford's shit paint), AND rock chips in front of my rear wheels.

Gonna have to cover it in bubble wrap to stop this, bud.
Sponsored