3.73 to 4.88 Gear Swap Problems **RESOLVED, STEEDA TUNE FIXED ALL ISSUES**

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
The 18 and up and especially a Bullitt with a GT350 intake makes power right up until 7,500 RPM unlike the 17 and down where they kind of Peter out after about 6,800.
Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
they kind of Peter out after about 6,800
15-17 Manifold take a nose dive after 6500 haha. But again, not the point. Point being is that Ford decided to take the wide ratio route with the MT82, which effectively neutered it. But nothing is stopping the 15-17 guys from throwing on a GT350 intake. Cheers.

RazzaRossa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Other than money, what would it take to swap the tranny and whatever else is needed to the new Mach1 set-up Into an 18/19? Sounds like something I would consider if/when they become available.

OP
OP
L0566Bullitt

L0566Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
Other than money, what would it take to swap the tranny and whatever else is needed to the new Mach1 set-up Into an 18/19? Sounds like something I would consider if/when they become available.
Think it would all depend upon if the bell housing bolts up. Which I'd assume it would since they're both 5.0s

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
powertrain and maybe chassis controller and it's programming. probably cheaper to just swap cars.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

RazzaRossa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
ButI dont want to shell out for a new Mach1. Some one will figure out what actually needs to be done. I can wait.

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
Several people, both 15-17 and 18+, have swapped in the TR3160 out of the GT350. I have a TR3160 sitting in my garage waiting already. Only tuning to program the different gear ratios as far as electronics go. Mechanically everything is bolt in because the chassis is the same and the engines are part of the same "modular" engine family.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
right and there was a long thread on a Tremec swap that only ended in tears and revert back to MT82. On a 70-80's car it would be no brainer because no damn computers getting in the way. If you just want a tremec in the mechanical sense you can. But reverse sensor, rev match and anything else that is computer-involved will not work at all or only partially. Would it quality for an 80% solution? Probably.

Sponsored

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
right and there was a long thread on a Tremec swap that only ended in tears and revert back to MT82.
A Ford GT350 TR3160 or another Tremec XL model, the second involves substantially more work. I believe that the GT and GT350 use the same reverse and temp sensor and it plugs right in. No custom driveshaft, mount, or shifter, direct Ford for Ford parts swap.

Speedycrw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt K1913, 2010 Mustang GT (racecar)
LOL566Bullitt Thank you so much for this thread! The Bullitt's horrible gearing has been bugging me so much since I bought the car. I LOVE everything else about her. I was wanting to do the 4:56 swap, but you have me mulling on the 4:88s.

I am used to wheelspin, and LOVE the power of my manual transmission Hellcat....it will spin the tires if you are rolling and drop the hammer in 1st, 2nd, somtimes 3rd, and if you are doing a burnout can spin them all the way to 4th (so I have been told). Given the fact that I like the Hellcat for this reason, I think that the 4:88s might be the ticket for me. Again, I can't thank you enough, you will let me make my Bullitt the perfect daily commute car in the summer!

OP
OP
L0566Bullitt

L0566Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
LOL566Bullitt Thank you so much for this thread! The Bullitt's horrible gearing has been bugging me so much since I bought the car. I LOVE everything else about her. I was wanting to do the 4:56 swap, but you have me mulling on the 4:88s.

I am used to wheelspin, and LOVE the power of my manual transmission Hellcat....it will spin the tires if you are rolling and drop the hammer in 1st, 2nd, somtimes 3rd, and if you are doing a burnout can spin them all the way to 4th (so I have been told). Given the fact that I like the Hellcat for this reason, I think that the 4:88s might be the ticket for me. Again, I can't thank you enough, you will let me make my Bullitt the perfect daily commute car in the summer!
Go 4.88. You will not regret it. It's perfect in my opinion. I can break traction in 3rd if conditions are right. Shoulda came from the factory with 4.88s

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
A Ford GT350 TR3160 or another Tremec XL model, the second involves substantially more work. I believe that the GT and GT350 use the same reverse and temp sensor and it plugs right in. No custom driveshaft, mount, or shifter, direct Ford for Ford parts swap.
Problem is that 2019 and up cars have auto rev matching which is done with a hardware change to the transmission, involving a hall effect sensor and harness that tells the computer what gear the car is in, which is information it HAS to have. So the only way to defeat this is if the Mach1 has the same plug and same sensor in the Tremec. But even then it will likely prove problematic since the Tremec will certainly have different gear ratios.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Problem is that 2019 and up cars have auto rev matching which is done with a hardware change to the transmission, involving a hall effect sensor and harness that tells the computer what gear the car is in, which is information it HAS to have. So the only way to defeat this is if the Mach1 has the same plug and same sensor in the Tremec. But even then it will likely prove problematic since the Tremec will certainly have different gear ratios.
If you've been reading this, the OP fixed the problem including rev matching with a Steeda tune.

FTIW, you still need a tune on the 17 and down cars to get them to run correctly with a gear change. I know this because I swapped differentials and the car did not run correctly. I got a tune and it was fixed. Since then I've ordered a Forscan tool and will change the car to stock, change the gearing with Forscan to have it run correctly without a tune

I am guessing Ford built in different gear changes in the Mach I like the 17 down. But maybe not up to 488. I know they have a 410 in the computer as I have seen it.
Sponsored