3.73 to 4.88 Gear Swap Problems in 2020 Bullitt

Cajunrice

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
First is really not that bad...perfect for stop and go traffic. Much better on the clutch.

Gears and installation were $1,579.30, not including the $641.95 Steeda tune. So all said and done, $2,221.25.

Starting in second isn't a problem, but I still usually start in 1st. The transmission is so incredibly high geared that even now 1st isn't too low...it's just right in my opinion.
What are your mods? I already don't have traction in first and if my tires are not warm I can break traction in second without any issues.
Sponsored

OP
OP
L0566Bullitt

L0566Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
What are your mods? I already don't have traction in first and if my tires are not warm I can break traction in second without any issues.
Bone stock minus gears and tune. It will get sideways in 3rd if it's cool out and often hear 4th gear chirps.

driden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Correct. SCT/Steeda tune fixed everything.

And thanks! The 4.88s feel amazing. Perfect combo in my opinion.
Grats on the upgrade! Does the rev matching still work normally? I wonder if the tune you have remaps that as well.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Have you run the car down the 1/4 mile with the 4:88 gearing? Was just wondering how much of a gain youā€˜re seeing with them?

Sponsored

gismo4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT PP1
Have you run the car down the 1/4 mile with the 4:88 gearing? Was just wondering how much of a gain youā€˜re seeing with them?
x2. I'm hoping to see some numbers, even if it's only the track apps. I'm seriously considering 4.56s or 4.88s.

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
4.88's and your looking at mileage? lol We used to run those in the late 70's in high school when you wanted to win street races from the lights. Of course there was no OD so you would have to cruise at 3500 rpm on the highway.

OP
OP
L0566Bullitt

L0566Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
I have not. Hopefully one day...

OP
OP
L0566Bullitt

L0566Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
I want to have 4.88s installed in my 2019 Bullitt. I already have the Steeda Bullitt Tune by James in the car. I just got through messaging James, asking him about my 4.88 idea. He takes a while to get back to me, but you pretty much answered my questions. I'm afraid if the dealer finds out about the gear change, I'll loose my warranty. I'm hoping they won't notice when it's in for an oil change. Any time it goes into the dealer, you should return your tune to stock, I was told. If the dealer happens to "flash" an update to your Bullitt's computer while it's there and you haven't returned car to stock tune, it will ruin its computer and much more. I don't know if you know that. I'm trying to find a shop near Palm Coast, Florida to do the rear end work. Did you go with Yukon or Richmond gears?
I went with Yukon gears and you definitely don't want to go back to stock. Stock tune trips every sensor and your dash will look like a Christmas tree....THAT will tip the dealer off. With the tune, everything looks normal and aside from opening the diff cover (they won't) there's absolutely no way to tell. Plus the gear tune (mine anyway) only changes the ratio in the computer and so that is no reason for them to void a warranty.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I just ordered this aluminum OBD II plug for my Bullitt from Steeda. This will stop dealer from changing my tune, but now I have to come up with story for them as to why they can't touch my computer.
thumbnail.asp.jpeg
Thatā€™s an attention getter. Hopefully itā€™ll keep the Ford technicians from messing around with things they shouldnā€™t be messing with. I would also tell them not to as well, so they can include the note in the paperwork for the tech. When I took my car in for an alignment after installing all of my Steeda suspension components, I asked the service adviser if it was standard for the tech to test drive the car afterward. He told me Yes and I told him to please make a note that I did not want the car to be test driven and they honored my request.

Sponsored

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I realize this post is more than a month old, but hopefully you can answer my questions, OP.

I put the Whipple on my Bullitt have since sold it. The gearing was so bad that it drove me crazy, but other than that I really liked the car. Even with a SC that start up in 1st was awful.

So, now I am looking at a gear change when the Mach 1 comes in. I have a few questions as your Bullitt is very similar to the Mach.

Having put gears in other cars, the issue is always noise. Specifically gear whine and other drivetrain noises. How has this been? Any other changes you would have made? I am actually looking at 4.56 gears.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Do you know what are the ratios of the Tremec on Mach1s, compared to the MT82-D4? If they're closer, 4.56 might be a bit much, no?

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
1st is nearly identical. That is the real issue, the rest are more closely spaced as the Tremec has 5th 1:1 and the MT82D4 has 4th 1:1.

OP
OP
L0566Bullitt

L0566Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
I realize this post is more than a month old, but hopefully you can answer my questions, OP.

I put the Whipple on my Bullitt have since sold it. The gearing was so bad that it drove me crazy, but other than that I really liked the car. Even with a SC that start up in 1st was awful.

So, now I am looking at a gear change when the Mach 1 comes in. I have a few questions as your Bullitt is very similar to the Mach.

Having put gears in other cars, the issue is always noise. Specifically gear whine and other drivetrain noises. How has this been? Any other changes you would have made? I am actually looking at 4.56 gears.
There definitely is a noticeable drivetrain rumble/low whine. It bothered me at first, but honestly now I don't even notice it. I'm so incredibly happy with the new ratio that I'd trade some minor noise for the better ratio all day, every day.

No changes. Extremely happy with the 4.88s. I'd strongly consider them instead of 4.56s. The torque is just insane.

At first I was going to supercharge it, but even that was just an $8k bandage to the real problem; too high (or long) of gears. Once swapping to 4.88s, I am so happy with the feel I changed my mind and probably won't SC anytime soon. The problem on these cars is gearing, not a lack of power.
Sponsored

Last edited: