2nd gen coyote, no crank/ no start

905Shooter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2017 pp mustang gt
I’ve seen numerous threads of no start 2nd gen coyotes but i haven’t seen my specific case pop up. I have a 2017 pp gt that was sitting for a few months with no battery tender. I’ve heard only a few cases in which the pcm would no longer work causing a no start situation when the battery voltage is below 12v for a sustained period of time. I got in and pushed in the clutch and pushed the start button as usual and nothing happened, no sound from the starter just the fuel pump priming. The lights dim down a bit and the beeping from the many notifications on my dash stop but then resume after 3 to 5 seconds from me pushing the start button. I went as far as buying a new battery and hooking up my battery booster to see if it needed the extra power. Nothing at all happened, i went into the many fuses and relays to find nothing was out of the ordinary but i jumped the starter relay and it turned over just fine. The only other thing i could think of is a gt350 start button that came with the radio bezel that i replaced. I hooked it up to my scanner to find that a pcm fault had been detected. Should i go ahead and order a new pcm and have it flashed or is there something I may be missing. Any help would be great, thanks.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I’ve seen numerous threads of no start 2nd gen coyotes but i haven’t seen my specific case pop up. I have a 2017 pp gt that was sitting for a few months with no battery tender. I’ve heard only a few cases in which the pcm would no longer work causing a no start situation when the battery voltage is below 12v for a sustained period of time. I got in and pushed in the clutch and pushed the start button as usual and nothing happened, no sound from the starter just the fuel pump priming. The lights dim down a bit and the beeping from the many notifications on my dash stop but then resume after 3 to 5 seconds from me pushing the start button. I went as far as buying a new battery and hooking up my battery booster to see if it needed the extra power. Nothing at all happened, i went into the many fuses and relays to find nothing was out of the ordinary but i jumped the starter relay and it turned over just fine. The only other thing i could think of is a gt350 start button that came with the radio bezel that i replaced. I hooked it up to my scanner to find that a pcm fault had been detected. Should i go ahead and order a new pcm and have it flashed or is there something I may be missing. Any help would be great, thanks.
Try these (2) threads, there might be some helpful info. This first thread was long, but it was another M6G member that experienced non-start issues:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/car-is-dead-need-help.137125/page-9

This thread contains the Ford GSB relating to battery charging:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/battery-charging-info-gsb-g0000144.138965/

spedy7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
1966 Mustang coupe, 2023 GT
Depends on what DTC is set in the PCM, I haven't seen a failed Mustang PCM yet and would definitely question the code. You'll definitely need to charge or replace the battery as well - modules hate low voltage. I'd also check the starter relay coil circuits as well. Try jumping the relay coil pins with a test light (incandescent type) and try to start the car. If it lights up, try a new relay or swap with another relay. If it doesn't, it's then you'll have to go further.

OP
OP
905Shooter

905Shooter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2017 pp mustang gt
Depends on what DTC is set in the PCM, I haven't seen a failed Mustang PCM yet and would definitely question the code. You'll definitely need to charge or replace the battery as well - modules hate low voltage. I'd also check the starter relay coil circuits as well. Try jumping the relay coil pins with a test light (incandescent type) and try to start the car. If it lights up, try a new relay or swap with another relay. If it doesn't, it's then you'll have to go further.
Yeah the starter relay is good, i went ahead and swapped it out with a good one, and more of the same. I got a new pcm off of lkq and i’ll put it in and have it flashed along with the other modules and will see what happens

Sponsored

Emario

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2020 Gt
Yeah the starter relay is good, i went ahead and swapped it out with a good one, and more of the same. I got a new pcm off of lkq and i’ll put it in and have it flashed along with the other modules and will see what happens
What ended up happening bro? I have the same problem with my 2020 mustang gt no crank I swapped out the pcm and still nothing I don’t know what to do I’m really stressed out.

Call_Me_Bruce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT, Toyota Avalon,
You need to troubleshoot why the no/start no crank is happening. Is there a problem with the wiring harness, switches, modules, etc? What ever code you pulled from the original PCM, you need to find a troubleshooting tree and follow that. And you'll probably need a wiring diagram, volt meter, and scanner. Good luck.

Emario

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2020 Gt

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
I don't know why people would have a No crank, no start condition, and immediately go for the least likely cause, which is a bad PCM.

Start with the basics.
Scan for codes, Check you fuses, Make sure your battery is good and the connections are tight on the terminals, Make sure the ignition switch/button is sending a signal to the starter.

If you don't know how to do these basic tests, you need to tow your vehicle to a decent shop.

Emario

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2020 Gt
I don't know why people would have a No crank, no start condition, and immediately go for the least likely cause, which is a bad PCM.

Start with the basics.
Scan for codes, Check you fuses, Make sure your battery is good and the connections are tight on the terminals, Make sure the ignition switch/button is sending a signal to the starter.

If you don't know how to do these basic tests, you need to tow your vehicle to a decent shop.
[/QUOTE
I swapped out the pcm because the technician I was working with told me "oh is the pcm bla bla bla" so i listened and I had to spend so much money on getting a pcm and them programming it and later to be notified that, that wasnt the problem I still have the same problem with my car but I've talked to a ford technician, showed him my codes and told me that the bcm is in theft mode I have a long story on why it is on theft mode but he told me that I could just get a used bcm and program it using forscan. Meanwhile the technician that swapped the pcm told me that for some reason i couldn't use a used bcm.
Sponsored