2nd Gear Transmission Noise

HEP#15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage Edition L0015
When I accelerate hard - only in second gear - I get a mechanical noise that you typically hear when you pull or push on a manual transmission shifter when it is in gear (mechanical whining noise) then I get a vibration as the RPMs increase from 4000 - 6000 and above. It's slightly better when the transmission oil temperature is at operating temperature. Again, only hear it in second gear when doing a hard pull. I did a search of postings and didn't see a similar post. Anyone else experience this?
Sponsored

Jago768

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Heritage Shelby GT350, 2021 Ford Bronco Wildtrak(on Res)
I have something very similar.. except I get this noise in every gear.

Jago768

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
Hmmmm..... I've often thought maybe it's an interior rattle or something in the shifter. I appreciate the video and as I continue to monitor the noise I'll cross my fingers its something simple like this.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
Hmmmm..... I've often thought maybe it's an interior rattle or something in the shifter. I appreciate the video and as I continue to monitor the noise I'll cross my fingers its something simple like this.
Its both for me. The passenger seat rattles more than the shifter and it annoys me. I got a towel and jammed it in the space between the seat belt. That helped it alot. It was driving me insane on my way to get the resonators replaced. Now in combination with the louder exhuast and towel I don't hear the creeks 🤣

Just reduce the NVH and problem will be solved lol

Sponsored

Jago768

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
That sounds so close to my issue as well 🧐

OP
OP
HEP#15

HEP#15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Thanks everyone. Has anyone tried the AutoFanatic fix? Sounds like that's the vibration issue I have. If not, I'll check the trans spacer. Doing more research on the internet it sounds like the 2nd gear whine is "normal".

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
Thanks everyone. Has anyone tried the AutoFanatic fix? Sounds like that's the vibration issue I have. If not, I'll check the trans spacer. Doing more research on the internet it sounds like the 2nd gear whine is "normal".
I haven't done it because it looked pretty involving and not a quick fix. It doesn't bother me that much that I am willing to fix it.

The sound only comes on at high rpms in 2nd gear so if that is what you are experiencing then its nothing to worry about. Only thing I don't like about the video, is that he didn't do a before and after shot to confirm the fix.

fatony618

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R Heritage Edition
I have the same exact problem. Same exact car. I'm thinking about having my shop do the autofanatic fix but I'm also not thrilled with reviews I've read on the MGW shifter. I'm sure some people can live with it but it annoys me. Any update on your end?

Sponsored

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
It's normal and seems like Included exclusively with HEP 🙂

OP
OP
HEP#15

HEP#15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
I haven't taken the time to try the Auto Fanatic fix. Anyone else try it?

fatony618

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
I haven't taken the time to try the Auto Fanatic fix. Anyone else try it?
After doing some more research. Its 100% the lockout mechanism for reverse. If you grab the lockout mechanism while you are in 2nd (where mine occurs) and pull it up- it goes away. After watching his video he talks about this so thats what im going to try.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
After doing some more research. Its 100% the lockout mechanism for reverse. If you grab the lockout mechanism while you are in 2nd (where mine occurs) and pull it up- it goes away. After watching his video he talks about this so thats what im going to try.
Shifter lock out should be fixed on late '19 and all '20 gt350s. You can check if your car has recall for this issue by entering your VIN or if you have FordPass it should appear on the apps upper left corner:

https://ford.oemdtc.com/6177/custom...reverse-lock-out-2018-2019-ford-mustang-gt350

fatony618

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
Shifter lock out should be fixed on late '19 and all '20 gt350s. You can check if your car has recall for this issue by entering your VIN or if you have FordPass it should appear on the apps upper left corner:

https://ford.oemdtc.com/6177/custom...reverse-lock-out-2018-2019-ford-mustang-gt350
Appreciate the info but my reverse works perfectly - the only thing is in second gear at high revs it rattles from the lockout mechanism. Going to do the autofanatic fix - I'm confident that will work.
Sponsored