Sponsored

2nd Blown Modified GT500? This time it's Stangmode with Hulk!

What do you believe is the cause of Stangmodes’ blown motor?

• Total voters

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
The mechanic in the video said that the first rod that failed took out the the adjoining rod and piston.
Interesting, the two that failed were what, 1 and 7 or 6 - 4. They were opposite ends.

Anyway, it is unwise to run E85 without a full return system at such big HP. That certainly could have been the cause. Everything else seems more of a stretch. Occam's razor and all that.
Sponsored

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
Interesting, the two that failed were what, 1 and 7 or 6 - 4. They were opposite ends.

Anyway, it is unwise to run E85 without a full return system at such big HP. That certainly could have been the cause. Everything else seems more of a stretch. Occam's razor and all that.
2 and 6 failed, they are both on the second journal of the crankshaft. 1-2-3-4 on the right (passenger) 5-6-7-8 on the left (driver)

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
2 and 6 failed, they are both on the second journal of the crankshaft. 1-2-3-4 on the right (passenger) 5-6-7-8 on the left (driver)
1607808963085.png

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
If this gets updated by L&M I'll bet Mark is right on the O2 sensor failing causing that bank to go lean.

I no longer think he blew it on purpose, although he could have unplugged the sensor. :wink:

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If this gets updated by L&M I'll bet Mark is right on the O2 sensor failing causing that bank to go lean.

I no longer think he blew it on purpose, although he could have unplugged the sensor. :wink:
But what caused the O2 sensor to fail? Running lean? Maybe so...

Sponsored

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
But what caused the O2 sensor to fail? Running lean? Maybe so...
Ethanol, octane boosters, lead they all contaminate the sensors.

Pressure in the exhaust system. Bosch is only rated to 2.5 bar( 22 PSI above atmosphere)

Then just exhaust heat just like a catalytic converter, can kill the senor. Bosch 4.9 sensors are only rated to 1030*c for short periods of time. Its a small 100* window between the sensor living and dying.
Other brands are probably similar.

https://www.bosch-motorsport.com/content/downloads/Raceparts/Resources/pdf/Data Sheet_69034379_Lambda_Sensor_LSU_4.9.pdf

It becomes a very common problem for people running higher boost FI setups. My initial thoughts were the inter cooler pump failed, I was hoping the shop pulling the engine would test more external items like that.

Time for lazer oxygen sensors with phenolic insulation instead of amperometric ones.

Last edited:

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
I think its safe to say we can agree, its not a "weak" point with the motor. if you look at the tuners top 10 list, SM is #10, if even still on it. he is/was making 50-150hp LESS than the rest of the cars. PBD has already stated long before happened, and all of us with them know that the tunes we run are very very VERY similar, as all of our cars are very very VERY similar in mods. So its only logical to say that the 9/10 other cars, making MORE power running absoloutly fine, show its not the tune.

conversely, he is/was the only one to not taking marginal updates to the fueling, as well as last i checked he had over 14k miles.. so yes, most plausible is an 02 failed. or his balancer was reinstalled improperly.. or yea, he had junk E in there combined with one of the above.

Additionally, even OEM the Pass side fuel rails run slightly leaner than driver side. the Div X rails help with this, which is why he had them. but you still need to keep up with demand

What i find chuckleworthy, is here we have 25 pages of actual discussion, as to try and pinpoint a failure for warning and knowledge among us.. yet the 1st blown one.. was all attacking the messenger

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Voodo
I think its safe to say we can agree, its not a "weak" point with the motor. if you look at the tuners top 10 list, SM is #10, if even still on it. he is/was making 50-150hp LESS than the rest of the cars. PBD has already stated long before happened, and all of us with them know that the tunes we run are very very VERY similar, as all of our cars are very very VERY similar in mods. So its only logical to say that the 9/10 other cars, making MORE power running absoloutly fine, show its not the tune.

conversely, he is/was the only one to not taking marginal updates to the fueling, as well as last i checked he had over 14k miles.. so yes, most plausible is an 02 failed. or his balancer was reinstalled improperly.. or yea, he had junk E in there combined with one of the above.

Additionally, even OEM the Pass side fuel rails run slightly leaner than driver side. the Div X rails help with this, which is why he had them. but you still need to keep up with demand

What i find chuckleworthy, is here we have 25 pages of actual discussion, as to try and pinpoint a failure for warning and knowledge among us.. yet the 1st blown one.. was all attacking the messenger
Do you have a fuel system in your Gt-500?

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Voodo

Do you have a fuel system in your Gt-500?
I do, I test fitted the 1st Lethal Performance Div X system. I knew there would be a fueling concern down the road when temps got cooler in the northeast, so i hounded lethal to get me a fix asap, as well as knowing that if there is 1 thing you dont skimp on, its fueling-- for obvious reasons

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My tuner begged me to get a fuel system with my Whipple. I was going to anyway, but he was firm in his conviction. Especially running E85.

Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Sleeved 5.2 block:

Cobra99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
It's because you come across as a arrogant condescending douche.

Twenty4/7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2021 RR GT500
Ethanol, octane boosters, lead they all contaminate the sensors.

Pressure in the exhaust system. Bosch is only rated to 2.5 bar( 22 PSI above atmosphere)

Then just exhaust heat just like a catalytic converter, can kill the senor. Bosch 4.9 sensors are only rated to 1030*c for short periods of time. Its a small 100* window between the sensor living and dying.
Other brands are probably similar.

https://www.bosch-motorsport.com/content/downloads/Raceparts/Resources/pdf/Data Sheet_69034379_Lambda_Sensor_LSU_4.9.pdf

It becomes a very common problem for people running higher boost FI setups. My initial thoughts were the inter cooler pump failed, I was hoping the shop pulling the engine would test more external items like that.

Time for lazer oxygen sensors with phenolic insulation instead of amperometric ones.
interesting stats on the 4.9 sensor. i run one to about 60 psi of exhaust pressure. but this is at 8xxC egt (shortly after the cylinder head so im sure much cooler at the o2 sensor).

have had really good luck with the 4.9's the last few years

one question. im not familiar with fords logic on these cars. what does it do if the o2 faults? if the o2 sensor faults most systems will just run straight off the tune and zero out the fuel trims. others will fault to 1.0 lambda and the ecu will dump as much fuel as allowed by the short trim. havent seen one lean out unless the ecu was needing to add a lot of fuel trim to hit target and then it was taken away because of o2 fault.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Zero interest in the topic but I clicked on it to make it disappear from unread threads. Next one to post in here has tiny hands and feet...
Sponsored