2k RPM Rattle worse after tune?

pmor4243

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Parker
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Curious to hear from others on here. I picked up a 2019 GT PP about 2 months ago and noticed it made a rattle in the 2-3kish rpm range and quickly found out how prevelant that is in the newer mustangs.

What I am curious about is if anyone has had it get worse or louder after simply a tune? I just had the car tuned by one of the reputable tuners that gets mentioned here often for 91 and E85. I noticed the rattle became a bit more prevelant after the 91 tune, much louder and more noticable with the Flex Tune map when switching fuels, and then back to roughly the same loudness as the 91 tune when on the E85 map. I wanted to make sure I wasnt just imagining things, so I flashed the car back to stock, and the rattle then died back down to what I would say is a slightly noticable level if you're listenting for it vs sonding like a bad motor with the 91/E85 map. I have logged every map in a variety of driving condition and have not had any knock present itself when this is happening.

I feel like I have read just about every thread related to the 2k rattle but don't seem to recall anyone mentioning it getting worse based on tunes.

Interested in hearing others experiences if you have run into this yourself.
Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I got my tune at 5k miles on the car. Never even noticed the 2k rattle prior to the tune and intake but immediately noticed it afterwards. I always figured it was more noticeable because of the open element intake. Either way, forget about it and send it!

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
My 2019 GT had the 2k rattle. The only time I really noticed it was when I was driving through my neighborhood with the windows down. It did seem to get a little louder after installing the GT350 intake.

OP
OP
pmor4243

pmor4243

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Parker
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Awesome, thanks for the data points.

Iā€™m trying not to let it worry me since it has been well documented at this point but was definitely curious about it getting louder based on the tune. Appreciate the feedback from the two of you.

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
My 2019 made lots of noises that my 2016 didn't make. The engine never sounded normal to me, even though the dealer said it was normal.

Sponsored

OP
OP
pmor4243

pmor4243

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Parker
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
@ElektroSmokes I canā€™t say with 100% certainty but I donā€™t believe it is pinging. That said, itā€™s been a while since I heard an engine pinging. I would assume I would see that show in some form when data logging though, which no knock has been detected in any of the logs Iā€™ve recorded. Is there a more scientific way to rule that out?

Iā€™m pretty sure this all falls within the ā€œnormalā€ sounds I have read so much about, but if it isnā€™t it would be great to find ways to address the issues.

OP
OP
pmor4243

pmor4243

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Parker
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Here is a good representation of what it sounds like as of tonight. My phone picked up a fair amount of background noise but you can definitely hear it.

The variation in the noise itself is happening with modulation of the throttle. Also worth noting this is with my 91 Performance tune; stock is quieter, Flex Fuel is louder.

Last edited:

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
What would be shown in the log if the knock sensors are turned off ? Is it obvious to tell ?

WD :like:

OP
OP
pmor4243

pmor4243

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Parker
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
@ElektroSmokes yep, the condidtion that you hear it in is at low throttle input. On my car I notice starting at 2,000rpm and it typically is there in some form up to 3-3.5k rpm but it is much less noticable past 3k rpm. And as others have seemed to mentioned with the 2k rattle, give it a bit more gas, and the sound is gone.

@WD Pro not sure if you were asking me if the knock sensors are disabled but they seem to be operating normally, I tend to have my SCT displaying knock as the main parameter and it seems to behave the same as it did when it was stock, mostly adding timing, but in some cases it might display a .5-1 degree of pulled timing. But that hasnt ever been in the range that is producing this noise.

I have just been under the impression that this was the 2k rattle that others have brought up (feel free for anyone to confirm if it isn't consistent with what you know as the rattle noise).
Sponsored