Sponsored

2K Rattle Clue - Took video in engine bay...

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Amazing no one has figured out exactly what it is. Someone in another 2k rattle thread said when he installed the Ford racing tune, it went away. He also stated techs at the dealer said that was their experience as well.
I must have missed that thread or post/comment. Did anyone have a theory on why the 2K rattle disappeared with the Ford racing tune? That might give a clue on what's causing it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
GMONSTAH

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase

Flimflamman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 & 301A
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not concerned, but I do find it annoying at times and it shouldn't be there. Sucks Ford is basically telling everyone to just put up with it. That's the price of cheap HP.

Amazing no one has figured out exactly what it is. Someone in another 2k rattle thread said when he installed the Ford racing tune, it went away. He also stated techs at the dealer said that was their experience as well. I have no reason to doubt him, but at the very same time, don't feel like pitching about 1.5K to verify it either.

I love the car, always one downshift away from a riot...
Not concerned here either, but man it is freaking annoying. I tend to lose thought of it when I mash the throttle though. :)

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
There is no 2K rattle. It's Direct Injection. It's loud, clacky and rattly. And for what ever reason, 2K RPM is where the DI clacks the most. It's completely normal and fine.

It comes and goes, as the car slides back and forth between DI and PFI.

Do this;

Start your car on a cold winter's day, then just stand outside at the front of the car, and listen. You can heat the car cycling between different DI/PFI ratios and modes.

Sponsored

Mad Horse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2, 2018 Explorer Sport, 2013 Fusion
It's not the DI. My 19 had the 2K rattle. The short block and heads had to be replaced due to excessive oil consumption. The same DI pump was put back on the engine. No more rattle. I've heard it will go away if you get rid of the sound tube.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
It's not the DI. My 19 had the 2K rattle. The short block and heads had to be replaced due to excessive oil consumption. The same DI pump was put back on the engine. No more rattle. I've heard it will go away if you get rid of the sound tube.
The OP doesn't have any oil-consumption issues. That points to a healthy engine.

As far as noises, DI makes two different clicks & rattles. One is the pump, and the other is the injectors;

"The sound is more evident when outside the vehicle or when the hood is open. The sound is more noticeable during idle and is more frequent during a cold start, but lessens once the engine is warm.

The rapid ticking noise on cold start is the fuel pump (located on the rear of the left cylinder head) building up high fuel pressure. When engine warmup is complete, the high pressure fuel pump will continue to click at a lower rate of approximately one tick per second at idle.

The clicking sound is the fuel injectors pulsing on and off under high fuel pressure. The sound is a normal characteristic of a direct injection fuel high pressure system. The noise does not indicate a need to replace the fuel pump or injectors."

OP
OP
GMONSTAH

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I know exactly when someone will find a way to get rid of the noise: when I hit 100k miles and am ready to trade in!

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Ford Engineer - It performs great but sounds like a tractor.
Ford Management - Can you fix the noise?
Ford Engineer - Yes but it is going to cost more.
Budget Officer - It’s going to sound like a tractor.
Fixed the last one to more accurately reflect ...

Budget Officer - It’s going to sound like a tractor, and we can't spend any money to write a SSM/TSB or update the OM to tell owners that it's normal - instead, we will let everyone wonder what's going on with their car.

OP
OP
GMONSTAH

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Fixed the last one to more accurately reflect ...

Budget Officer - It’s going to sound like a tractor, and we can't spend any money to write a SSM/TSB or update the OM to tell owners that it's normal - instead, we will let everyone wonder what's going on with their car.
...and end up with numerous dealer appointments.

Sponsored

Bronco2fan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Taurus SHO LMS V11 Tune, 2006 F150 Harley-Davidson, 03 Mustang GT Conv.
Go find a 3.5 twin turbo SHO and listen when it's running. The DI is horrendous, but normal. My PP1 doesn't bother me at all after I drive the SHO lol.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The OP is not concerned about the noise, but just curious what exactly is causing it, just like many of us. Hey OP, how about taping your camera in front of the engine, to see if the noise is louder there, like if it's coming from the phasers? By the way, my engine doesn't sound like that, at least from inside the car.

But since you didn't drive the car with the camera there, how about moving the camera all around the engine? That would tell us where the noise is loudest, to at least have a faint idea where it's coming from. The way you did your first video, it's impossible to tell where the noise is coming from because you didn't move the camera aorund :). So go around the engine slowly, starting at the right rear cylinder (where the DI pump is), then moving it to the front of the engine, across it, and then towards the back of the engine on the driver's side. You could also lower the camera deeper into the engine, to see if the noise increases or not. Thank you.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
The OP is not concerned about the noise, but just curious what exactly is causing it, just like many of us. Hey OP, how about taping your camera in front of the engine, to see if the noise is louder there, like if it's coming from the phasers? By the way, my engine doesn't sound like that, at least from inside the car.

But since you didn't drive the car with the camera there, how about moving the camera all around the engine? That would tell us where the noise is loudest, to at least have a faint idea where it's coming from. The way you did your first video, it's impossible to tell where the noise is coming from because you didn't move the camera aorund :). So go around the engine slowly, starting at the right rear cylinder (where the DI pump is), then moving it to the front of the engine, across it, and then towards the back of the engine on the driver's side. You could also lower the camera deeper into the engine, to see if the noise increases or not. Thank you.
Or how about we just stop obsessing over normal stuff? Engines make noise, Direct Injection makes noise(s).

What's next? Get obsessed with the sky being blue? Grass being green?

The more we entertain this crap, the more threads there will be about it. Just stop it.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium