28' race trailer with living quarters DIY

nbjeeptj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neill
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I wanted a race trailer with a bathroom that would hold my mustang but did not want a 34' unit, and that seamed to be all that was ready now. I got some quotes to have one built and the lead times seamed pretty long so I decided to buy a 28' trailer that was empty and build my own. The plan is to have a bunk size bed in the front with a shower and sink. I will also have a porta potty and a cabinet to keep it in. The toilet is not as important in my case since the tracks I go to have some form of restroom.

So far I have purchased a 28' trailer with 12" of extra height, prepped for air, and finished ceiling installed. It has plywood walls and floor.
next step was to install AC unit, in floor winch, and coin flooring.

IMG_4479.jpg

IMG_4496.jpg

IMG_4481.jpg
IMG_4482.jpg

IMG_4504.jpg
Sponsored

Jbraun2828

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt350
Cool project. Sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands to get what you want. Look forward to seeing the progress

OP
OP
nbjeeptj

nbjeeptj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neill
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Trying to work around some weather I was able to get the rest of the shower enclosure and bed frame fabricated. I sheeted what needed to be done so I could rough in the electrical and plumbing.

IMG_4526.jpg
IMG_4530.jpg

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
don't truck stops have showers? Having to carry all that extra water (clean ang gray) seems like so much hassle let alone having to deal with waterproofing.

Is there any merit to putting in say 2.5-3" worth of insulation in the sides and roof?

Sponsored

OP
OP
nbjeeptj

nbjeeptj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neill
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
The insulation will probably be something I will have wished I had done. The hope is that most evenings will be moderate enough to not need it. I ran a heater in it for a few days that would have been equivalent to 11000btu, and was able to keep the trailer 28deg above ambient tempature, so with 13500 btu AC I hope I will be fine in the summertime for sleeping. Most people I have talked to at the track with similar setups so they are fine as long as the temps are south of 95 during the day.

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
That’s awesome. Between poor QC, lazy workers and high inflation a guy needs to do more himself. I’d love to build a RV.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I admire your ingenuity.

OP
OP
nbjeeptj

nbjeeptj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neill
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Thanks,

I do think its a shame that something like this does not exist out in the market that is somewhat readily available. To get a custom trailer is something like a 12 month process, not to mention the pounding on your wallet, then the ones that are ready to go are 34' long with all kinds of bells and whistles that I did not feel like I need.

I did not get much done last weekend but a little progress has happened:

IMG_4546.jpg
IMG_4548.jpg
IMG_4550.jpg

OP
OP
nbjeeptj

nbjeeptj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neill
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
A little work on the utilities side of this build. I installed a generator / battery box to the front and got the shore power receptacle and water tank fill installed.
IMG_4575.jpg

IMG_4589.jpg

IMG_4585.jpg
IMG_4587.jpg
IMG_4574.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
nbjeeptj

nbjeeptj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neill
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Finding all the parts for this build was a very time consuming ordeal. This excel sheet has a list of the parts I used to build this and a link to the item if it was purchased on the internet. Just thought if anyone was about to do a similar build it may give them a place to start.

Attachments

OP
OP
nbjeeptj

nbjeeptj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neill
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
This weekend I got all the wiring, most of the plumbing done, battery box installed, and generator mounted in the box. Also was able to test putting the car in the trailer. The winch worked real good to make that easy, however I will need to come up with a way to tie the car down. On a open trailer I used T hooks in the factory slots and crossed the straps, but inside this trailer I cant get to those slots. Anyone got any suggestions on that?
IMG_4597 (2).jpg
IMG_4594.jpg
IMG_4593.jpg

RookieDDZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
OP
OP
nbjeeptj

nbjeeptj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neill
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I have 2 trailers, and embraced front to back e track that allows the use of 3 point over the wheel tie downs. Best method for me evolved over 25 years of racing and towing.

https://www.truckntow.com/vulcan-ca...nch-4-pack-3-300-pound-safe-working-load.html

I love the Idea of Etrack but since I did not recess it in the floor before I installed my rubber floor not sure how good it will work mounted on top of the rubber floor. Most factory Etrack installs I have seen are recessed. Any experience with it just mounted on top of the floor?
Sponsored