24 Hours of Spa

OP
OP

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
did you watch the F2 incident with Hubert ?
Did you watch the incident from 24 hours of Spa ?

Both of them were because a car crossed the runoff on Eau Rouge and stopped on the straight where other cars can't see them both of them were cars on the straight after hitting a barrier this shouldn't happen. If you hit a barrier and you have sand there is no way you are going back at the track. Hubert hit the tire wall at Radion and got back on the track and got collected by another car at 250 km/h if track safety is good this shouldn't happen. I'm just saying that Eau Rouge / Radion is to dangerous as is with modern day cars running full blast through it in racing.
Moving back here so I don't hijack the F1 thread. You have a very good point about Eau Rouge/Raidillon. I am a bit biased, because I've walked Eau Rouge and looked at it from every imaginable angle. But, then again, I feel like I've accomplished something when I'm at 160-180 kph and can't imagine taking it at 250.

I am not a track engineer by any stretch, but the only way I can think to change it would be to straighten Turn 4--take the kink out. Then it would be more of a straight uphill shot between turns 3 & 5. The downside is that Eau Rouge/Raidillon is the defining element Spa-Francorchamps. I'm sure the motorsports community would eventually adjust, but it would lose some of its character.

The fact that is working against change, besides the aura of that section, is the fact that the vast majority of drivers negotiate it safely. Similar in some ways to 24 hour NĂĽrburging, which eats drivers like they are snacks.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
the only way I can think to change it would be to straighten Turn 4--take the kink out. Then it would be more of a straight uphill shot between turns 3 & 5.
if it was easy then anybody could do it. The point is that it requires skill to negotiate. Doesn't mean there should be walls and insufficient run-off in case of a screwup though.

Summit Point T4 would claim riders on a disturbing frequency. Now the first lesson is as a rider, don't override the course safety margin and your skillset. It's amateur racing for god's sake! But all the track had to do was rent a backhoe and a dump truck and a couple days to dig the fking hill back 15m and put deceleration surface before the armco+tires. It took them 15 YEARS to do something freaking trivial. Disgraceful.
Sponsored