Vehicle Showcase

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Interesting point. What would the Coyote produce if factory tuned only for 91/93?
Don't know that but my dedicated E85 tune on an otherwise stock to the air filter Coyote is probably making ~ 530 hp which is quite amazing and plenty fast.

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
I have to agree with Norm. My '17 Z06 was a hoot. Till the roads got wet. Even on dry pavement judicial application of the throttle was needed. The rear end would get unsettled in a heartbeat. That is why there were so many stupid accidents from peeps shutting off the traction control.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
I have to agree with Norm. My '17 Z06 was a hoot. Till the roads got wet. Even on dry pavement judicial application of the throttle was needed. The rear end would get unsettled in a heartbeat. That is why there were so many stupid accidents from peeps shutting off the traction control.
I only have some limited time behind the wheel of my dads c7z but the first time I drove he asked me what I thought. The only word that came to mind was “stupid.” It’s a stupid car lol. It gets loose so easy and it’s just an insane amount of power to manage on the street. Gives one a lot of perspective when thinking about modding and adding more power to your mustang. Yes I can add 300hp, but should I? I hate saying it but I don’t think that Z would actually be that fun to drive every day. I mean I’d be willing to give it a shot :cwl: But it requires a different level of focus than something more reasonable

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
It was my dd. As stated, one had to be extremely careful where and when to apply throttle. Hell even a base C7 would break loose under the right conditions in on cold wet pavement. Above 160 the rear end would start to float. I made it to 168 once. Said enough and let off the throttle gently.

Sponsored

Baldilocks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.blueearlbrewing.com
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium California Special
Vehicle Showcase
As someone pointed out above, I haven’t felt such exhilaration since 1970 and yes, I was there first hand. If I’d been happy just looking good I’d have bought an EcoBoost.

But these new EcoBoost cars are quicker, faster and more powerful than 95% of the muscle cars of the 60s and 70s - not that it matters. :)

MustangorCamaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
I, for one, agree. It's a car guy thing.

Case in point, I'm currently on the hunt for the right '86 SVO. But why you ask, there's three model years to choose from. Because the '86 had the highest HP rating of the three. End of story.

In addition to emissions, I wonder if it's also some stupidity on Ford's part so the Mock-E trumps the best NA ICE Mustang in power rating....
You'll want an 85.5 Mustang SVO and not an 86 for most HP. Torque up 8 as well on the 85.5.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
But these new EcoBoost cars are quicker, faster and more powerful than 95% of the muscle cars of the 60s and 70s - not that it matters. :)
Is that right? Not ever having been interested in one I never really looked at performance figures. I’m sure you’re just throwing that 95% number out there to make a point and I do that too so I get it. But without me researching it would an EcoBoost Mustang really be faster and quicker than say something like a 65-66 Tri-Power GTO?

I did at one point discover that bone stock, a newer Mustang GT is quicker and faster than an old 435 horse Corvette, or even an L88 for that matter. Again, I’m talking showroom stock. Put a set of M&H Racemasters on the old Corvette and who knows?

The thing is, those old cars exhibited so much brutality when you got on ‘em that it was hard to evaluate how fast they really were. Not to mention the big block torque from what seemed like idle. When you opened up a 3x2 Goat I swear it sounded like the hood was gonna get sucked thru the carbs. The GT has great exhaust for sure and I do love it but otherwise goes about it’s business with aplomb.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Is that right? Not ever having been interested in one I never really looked at performance figures. I’m sure you’re just throwing that 95% number out there to make a point and I do that too so I get it. But without me researching it would an EcoBoost Mustang really be faster and quicker than say something like a 65-66 Tri-Power GTO?

I did at one point discover that bone stock, a newer Mustang GT is quicker and faster than an old 435 horse Corvette, or even an L88 for that matter. Again, I’m talking showroom stock. Put a set of M&H Racemasters on the old Corvette and who knows?

The thing is, those old cars exhibited so much brutality when you got on ‘em that it was hard to evaluate how fast they really were. Not to mention the big block torque from what seemed like idle. When you opened up a 3x2 Goat I swear it sounded like the hood was gonna get sucked thru the carbs. The GT has great exhaust for sure and I do love it but otherwise goes about it’s business with aplomb.
A new ecoboost would slaughter a tri power gto. We could put better tires on the old gal but we would also have to do the same for the ecoboost to compare fairly. I say this as someone that does not have any interest in an ecoboost and as someone that WILL own a 69 Mach 1 someday. It’s just not a fair fight. Lots of old timers have grandiose claims about the cars from the old days. All available data that can be relied upon says those cars just don’t hold up even in their preferred environment (ie the drag strip) to the new cars, 4 bangers included.

Sponsored

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
well I’m not giving up meat that’s for sure lol. I just can’t help but roll my eyes at a lot of this climate change stuff. When the loudest voices are the biggest hypocrites I have to tune them out. I try to not waste anything, not be an excessive burden on the planet and that’s about it. But I won’t be lectured about my 2000 mile a year mustang by the private jet crowd :wink:

Similar to you…..
FJG, 700A, tremec, handling package
You should post over in the Mach 1 forum. I don’t remember seeing your username there at least very often!
I don't post in general very often, but I've been there a few times... In fact I think I remember engaging you at some point in a discussion about the Mach 1 performance vs the Camaro 1LE!

And yeah, there's a lot of hypocrites up top, but the problem is very real, and we need to vote out the hypocrites and vote in people who will do more than flap their mouths about this issue... Easier said than done, of course, but our survival depends on it.

That's total nonsense and I truly feel sorry for those whom have been snowed into this way of thinking so the elites can create a new class of oligarchs. However, I don't want to get to political so I'll keep it to that.
So you deny human-caused climate change? Or you just don't think the situation is that dire? If the former, we're probably at an impasse (hell we probably are anyway), but I tend to trust people who have actually studied geology and climate science their whole lives... As well as my own intuition, especially when that intuition is going against what my heart desperately wants to be true. Because god knows I wish you were right... But sadly I am fairly certain you are not.

As I was getting at with Atlas, though, I fully agree that the message right now is convoluted by oligarchs.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
I’m not talking about a special edition like a Shelby, Boss, or Mach 1. Just a plain ordinary GT. What’s a 2001 GT worth today? Not much.
I’d bet a very low mileage collector quality GT would be about $15-17k.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
A new ecoboost would slaughter a tri power gto. We could put better tires on the old gal but we would also have to do the same for the ecoboost to compare fairly.
Well, who knew? I’m shocked but given that I did indeed research the L88 vs. Mustang GT thing I guess I shouldn’t be. I totally agree about the tires and I think I kinda pointed that out in my post. The vast majority of tests written about hi-po cars in those days were done with cars a long way from stock. As but one example it’s well known that Jim Wangers provided the press with a ‘64 GTO that had been fitted with a 421 block.

I guess I’m gonna have to learn more about the EcoBoost. I honestly never had an inkling!