22 GT and Mach down 10hp… Is this true?

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
This is what I suspect, too. The third generation Coyote is one of the most technically advanced Otto engines in production today. 92 HP per liter (or even 96 for the Bullitt and Mach 1) is an astonishing figure for an aspirated engine. The 2021 Corvette does merely 79.
I'm not sure there's much room left for improvement with today's technology.
It's shockingly impressive for a mass produced engine. Sure, Ferrari and a few other boutique cars have done better, but not by much.

The Coyote could improve further, but the engineers have clearly already butted up against the limits of publicly available pump gas.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
You may want to re evaluate. Using the Oldsmobile 442 as an example. Peak year 1970. 1971 and 1972,
less HP due to new emissions resulted in value drop according to Hagerty. Same scenario. I think we know 442 wasn’t a Ferrari either. More examples follow in the history and values of the Trans Am in the HP vs. emissions vs. value arena.
Honestly I’m not overly concerned that a 2021 GT/M1 might be worth a few dollars more than a 2022 in 2072. :giggle:

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
This is what I suspect, too. The third generation Coyote is one of the most technically advanced Otto engines in production today. 92 HP per liter (or even 96 for the Bullitt and Mach 1) is an astonishing figure for an aspirated engine. The 2021 Corvette does merely 79.
Honestly I’m not overly concerned that a 2021 GT/M1 might be worth a few dollars more than a 2022 in 2072. :giggle:
Glad I was able to clarify. :like:

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I'm not either, I'll be dead long before then.

But I'd rather have the 480HP car than the 470HP car in the meantime.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
The Coyote could improve further, but the engineers have clearly already butted up against the limits of publicly available pump gas.
Interesting point. What would the Coyote produce if factory tuned only for 91/93?

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Interesting point. What would the Coyote produce if factory tuned only for 91/93?
I have a suspicion it could hit 500 crank if it was tuned exclusively for 93. 91 is too much of piss water to do much better than what the Mach 1 hit already.

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
I have a suspicion it could hit 500 crank if it was tuned exclusively for 93. 91 is too much of piss water to do much better than what the Mach 1 hit already.
Problem there is that many areas of the country do not have 93. Even in the Dallas metro area any number of stations have 91 oct vs 93. One must look at the pump closely. It would be nice if they had to show it on their curb sign.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
They'll never do it, because the average Joe is stupid and can't be trusted to use the right kind of gas, even if it were widely available. Making the engine work exclusively with 93 would be a massive lawsuit waiting to happen.

I think there's only so much you can gain by tweaking the ignition timing - which can be changed on the fly to adapt to a lower octane fuel. In order to gain more you may have to start looking into increasing the compression ratio, which would then become too high for 91 even with retarded timing, because there's a limit to how much you can retard it.

Last edited:

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
Could be what was posted above. Remember in 1993 when the fox body was re-rated at 205hp and the 94 was rated at 215?
The 93s were no slower than the 89-92 cars and faster than the 94 cars. Just Ford playing games.
In 1993 I read that the Mustang 5.0 was re-rated at 205hp and 280 ft-lbs because the SAE prompted Ford to change it.

Ford's story was that they wanted to reflect several small changes like MAF meter, cam changes, different pistons, etc... The previous 225hp rating had been carried over from the 1987 speed density cars. They might have continued advertising 20 imaginary horsepower if the SAE hadn't said anything.

...Or they might not. 🤷‍♂️
Downrating the 1993 LX and GT also opened up a hp gap between them and the 1993 SVT Cobra, and maybe helped Cobra sales a bit.

In any case, I agree that the loss of 20hp and 20 ft-lbs was only a loss on paper.

If a 2022 Mach 1 loses 10hp off the rating, how much should we really care? It's 10hp off of 480, right? About a 2% change. It's not like 1993 when the rating changed by about 10%.

If a Mustang ever loses a magazine comparison to a Camaro, it's not because of 10hp, is it?

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Perhaps I'm just an eternal optimist, but I still think we'll get a Gen 4 Coyote in S650. A nice 480hp for the stock GT, and 500hp for an SE down the line.

Whilst a 10hp / 10 ft/lb loss isn't great, at least Ford have provided a bunch of new colors and special editions to take the sting off the 2022s :)

Sponsored

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Perhaps I'm just an eternal optimist, but I still think we'll get a Gen 4 Coyote in S650. A nice 480hp for the stock GT, and 500hp for an SE down the line.

Whilst a 10hp / 10 ft/lb loss isn't great, at least Ford have provided a bunch of new colors and special editions to take the sting off the 2022s :)
i mean no disrespect, but you’re welcome to enjoy the new colors and special editions while I enjoy romping on the go-pedal and basking in that glorious sound in track mode with the top down. As someone pointed out above, I haven’t felt such exhilaration since 1970 and yes, I was there first hand. If I’d been happy just looking good I’d have bought an EcoBoost.

I’m seriously considering buying a second Mustang to semi-mothball away in anticipation of the inevitable that we all know is coming. I now know for sure it will not be a 2022. Six inches is probably more than enough but raise your hand if you’d happily accept 5.7 instead.

I’m happy to see that two or three of you guys understand what I’m saying here. Sure, they’ll sell some but it won’t be to the hard core guys. It’ll mostly be to kids that don’t know or ask about the HP rating anyhow.

There are some things in life you just don’t go backward on.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
’m happy to see that two or three of you guys understand what I’m saying here. Sure, they’ll sell some but it won’t be to the hard core guys. It’ll mostly be to kids that don’t know or ask about the HP rating anyhow.
You have this backwards. It's the kids that are smart enough to know that a loss of 10 "gross" HP is absolutely totally ridiculous. It's the "hard core" folks that are blowing this totally out of proportion. I highly doubt that anyone who is actually going to buy a car to drive will pass on a 2022 just because of the HP change. If anything 2022 sales will increase as its the last year for the S550.

troverman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium manual
There's probably more, but with compromises. Raising the compression ratio even higher would likely provide more power. But higher fuel consumption and possibly emissions, and possibly rendering a different mix of direct and indirect injector usage, which of course affects consumption and economy, and possibly longevity. It's interesting how the Mustang has not been subject to the auto engine shut off "feature" like the F-150 has. The Mustang also does not have the new cylinder deactivation, for now.

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Thankfully. Hated that in my ST Explorer.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
i mean no disrespect, but you’re welcome to enjoy the new colors and special editions while I enjoy romping on the go-pedal and basking in that glorious sound in track mode with the top down. As someone pointed out above, I haven’t felt such exhilaration since 1970 and yes, I was there first hand. If I’d been happy just looking good I’d have bought an EcoBoost.

I’m happy to see that two or three of you guys understand what I’m saying here. Sure, they’ll sell some but it won’t be to the hard core guys. It’ll mostly be to kids that don’t know or ask about the HP rating anyhow.
We're close enough to the same age for me (at almost 74) to understand where you're coming from. So while I have no interest in an EB, I'm fully OK with the 10 HP "loss". Hell, I'd seriously consider a Mustang with a smaller-displacement Coyote variant if that's what it eventually takes to keep the V8 Mustang GT viable. Maybe even a V6 offering as long as it was competitively powerful to other V6 engines in the 3.5L - 3.7L displacement range (I kind of like hearing a good V6 sound-track "at revs").

There are some things in life you just don’t go backward on.
I've always preferred small-blocks over big-blocks and power at revs over low-end grunt, so it's probably not the same feeling for me to see that the NA GT/Mach 1 engines have lost a few HP. I never tied my appreciation of a car specifically to its advertised HP.

Norm
Sponsored