corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Not to be rude, but "chassis centered" and "balanced" don't exactly apply to the nose heavy WRX you have...
No, it's probably not possible to tune its understeer as close to neutral is it would be for my Mustang, but it's pretty good for its roughly 60/40 weight distribution stat. The latest generation WRX has far better chassis dynamics and balance than any of its predecessors, and at around 0.95g on the skidpad on its OE wheel and tire package there is decent potential to be had. Surprising potential, even, as I may have had the opportunity to demonstrate a couple of times. Certainly sufficient for this car's purpose in our stable. Which in part because I already have a track toy and partly because we're both in our 70s was . . .

We bought this car specifically to fill the "daily driver/grocery-getter/get-away trips function, where most other people would have gone for an SUV or at best an Accord or a Camry. Decent-ish power/performance, handling at least near the top of its market segment, and a manual transmission in a 4-door sedan were the non-negotiables. I've already tweaked the alignment and the suggested tire pressures in early efforts at dialing out a little of the understeer and replaced the brakes with pads having a bit more bite.

Norm
Sponsored

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
People like you seem to enjoy creating prophecies you hope are self-fulfilling. Nothing is inevitable except death. There are many advantages to ICE vehicles you totally fail; some of those advantages will never be met by EVs. Overall range, thrilling engine sound, speed of refueling, portability of refueling, ability to adapt to a number of alternate fuels, ability to store fuel, etc.
EVs may never be perfect, and no one is claiming otherwise. But they are already better at many things and only improving everyday, not to mention that they are simply necessary if the human race is going to survive with a standard of living anywhere close to what we enjoy today.

Almost every single advantage you listed for ICEs is a limitation of battery technology, and researchers are making major progress in each area. Battery energy density is improving constantly, recharge time is getting down to the minutes range with commercial 350kW chargers, and you can use any fuel in the world to create electricity (and it's way more portable than gas, BTW)... So, especially for someone who claims nothing is inevitable, it should be clear why it's silly to say EVs will "never" be as good as (or superior to) ICEs in almost every single way.

However, I will most certainly miss the glorious sound of the combustion engine, and I'll miss slamming through a six speed manual transmission. That experience is almost the entire reason I am here on this forum and have a Mach 1 on order. I will shed a tear (or a river of them) for the loss of these beautiful engines, but I fully understand how and why it's happening.

Last edited:

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What is that about?

Congrats on the Mach 1 btw :like:
Thank you! It's about how our level of carbon emissions is completely unsustainable if our climate is going to remain livable for our children and grandchildren.

Last edited:

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Thank you! It's about how our level of carbon emissions is completely unsustainable if our climate is going to remain livable for our children and grandchildren.
Next thing you know they’ll be outlawing Taco Bell. They’ll be coming after every Mexican restaurant north of the border.

Sponsored

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
We’re frantically trying to switch to EV’s and China is building coal plants like crazy and dumping more carbon into the air than everyone else lol. Meanwhile no one seems to mind that they aren’t even a part of the UN climate change conference at the end of the month. For such a big global problem and considering they are by far the biggest offender, why do I not hear a peep about them? And while I’m on the subject of that conference, quite a few private jets making the trip to Scotland, no? President potato could have easily just wiped the pudding off of his face and chimed in by zoom to save carbon emissions right?
Two large cruise ships showed up to house the event staff as well. Wonder if those are some new type of EV cruise lines I haven’t heard about. 🤔
Or maybe, just maybe, those telling us to worry about climate change don’t actually worry about climate change. Either way they sure make a lot of money off of it that’s for sure :cwl:

what are the specs on your Mach 1? I can’t remember all of the builds with each username lol

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We’re frantically trying to switch to EV’s and China is building coal plants like crazy and dumping more carbon into the air than everyone else lol. Meanwhile no one seems to mind that they aren’t even a part of the UN climate change conference at the end of the month. For such a big global problem and considering they are by far the biggest offender, why do I not hear a peep about them? And while I’m on the subject of that conference, quite a few private jets making the trip to Scotland, no? President potato could have easily just wiped the pudding off of his face and chimed in by zoom to save carbon emissions right?
Two large cruise ships showed up to house the event staff as well. Wonder if those are some new type of EV cruise lines I haven’t heard about. 🤔
Or maybe, just maybe, those telling us to worry about climate change don’t actually worry about climate change. Either way they sure make a lot of money off of it that’s for sure :cwl:

what are the specs on your Mach 1? I can’t remember all of the builds with each username lol
I totally agree that consumer vehicles get an unfairly disproportionate amount of attention when it comes to the climate... It's a lot easier for big corporations and the government to offload the short term burden on consumers rather than taking responsibility for their own actions. The rapid industrialization of the third world, shipping, manufacturing, the meat industry, etc are all HUGE contributors to global warming as well. But just because bigger problems exist doesn't mean that it's never worth solving smaller problems. I'm personally focusing on the other stuff myself (which is why I stopped watering my lawn, stopped eating almost all meat, keep my AC/heat at super conservative temps, and now WFH so I barely drive). That's how I justify my Mach 1 to myself lol. 😇

I ordered mine from dealersider (4% off invoice was too good to pass up), and I got a yellow 700A with the Tremec and the magnetic-painted aluminum wheels. What about you? I see you've got a fancy German and an American in your garage, too, nice!

Last edited:

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
I totally agree that consumer vehicles get an unfairly disproportionate amount of attention when it comes to the climate... It's a lot easier for big corporations and the government to offload the short term burden on consumers rather than taking responsibility for their own actions. The rapid industrialization of the third world, shipping, manufacturing, the meat industry, etc are all HUGE contributors to global warming as well. But just because bigger problems exist doesn't mean that it's never worth solving smaller problems. I'm personally focusing on the other stuff myself (which is why I stopped watering my lawn, stopped eating almost all meat, keep my AC/heat at super conservative temps, and now WFH so I barely drive). That's how I justify my Mach 1 to myself lol. 😇

I ordered mine from dealersider (4% off invoice was too good to pass up), and I got a yellow 700A with the Tremec and the magnetic-painted aluminum wheels. What about you? I see you've got a fancy German and an American in your garage, too, nice!
well I’m not giving up meat that’s for sure lol. I just can’t help but roll my eyes at a lot of this climate change stuff. When the loudest voices are the biggest hypocrites I have to tune them out. I try to not waste anything, not be an excessive burden on the planet and that’s about it. But I won’t be lectured about my 2000 mile a year mustang by the private jet crowd :wink:

Similar to you…..
FJG, 700A, tremec, handling package
You should post over in the Mach 1 forum. I don’t remember seeing your username there at least very often!

troverman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium manual
...not to mention that they are simply necessary if the human race is going to survive with a standard of living anywhere close to what we enjoy today.
That's total nonsense and I truly feel sorry for those whom have been snowed into this way of thinking so the elites can create a new class of oligarchs. However, I don't want to get to political so I'll keep it to that.

Back to the EV's, if I run out of gas on my 4-wheeler a few miles in the woods, my buddy can come rescue me with a 2-gallon gas can. The same can be said for vehicles, and is not possible with EVs.

My 130HP Yamaha 4-stroke snowmobile can manage to go 150 miles in frigid, snowy conditions. There are some EVs that can't match this range despite having a lot more room for a battery. And heaven forbid a battery powered sled dies way out in the boondocks.

No EV will ever match the audible pleasure of a nice ICE vehicle. The sound is a big part of it; EV makers don't want to talk about that, but there's a reason why Mustangs, Camaros, Vettes, Challengers, Harleys, 911's, etc, etc all sound the way they do. A fast EV may put you back in your seat, but it doesn't even match the sensation of a passenger jet on takeoff, which has noise to match.

Anyway, congrats on the Mach1 order. It will be awesome. I'll let my 6.0L diesel F-350 idle for an hour extra so you don't have to feel bad driving yours, knowing there are far worse people than you that willfully kill the planet on a daily basis.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
That's total nonsense and I truly feel sorry for those whom have been snowed into this way of thinking so the elites can create a new class of oligarchs.
It is nonsense, indeed, but it's not them I feel sorry for. They can drive kitchen appliances, eat grass, or turn the heating off in their homes for all I care. I feel sorry for us, normal people, who will be forced against our will to adopt that sad lifestyle because of them.

Last edited:

Sponsored

troverman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is nonsense, indeed, but it's not them I feel sorry for. They can go through all the trouble of driving kitchen appliances, eating grass, or turning the heating off in their homes for all I care. I feel sorry for us, normal people, who will be forced against our will to adopt that lifestyle because of them.
I certainly believe in "climate change" but our planet has been experiencing climate change since its inception. The naivety comes in when humans think they can somehow control this change, whether negatively or positively. There are a thousand uncontrolled variables included in so called climate change, yet apparently driving battery powered vehicles is going to make the difference. We all want the same thing: clean air, clean water, good food, etc. The thing is, we can accomplish that without changing our lifestyles. In fact, we pretty much already have.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT

I'm sorry but China gets a pass, they literally feed the world's insatiable appetite for manufactured goods. The vast majority of carbon emissions are from industry to feed our consumption, since long ago it was decided it would be better and cheaper to have other countries deal with the hassle of making most items. People keep pointing a finger at China like they exist in a vacuum and are consuming all of what they make which is completely out of touch.

troverman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm sorry but China gets a pass, they literally feed the world's insatiable appetite for manufactured goods. The vast majority of carbon emissions are from industry to feed our consumption, since long ago it was decided it would be better and cheaper to have other countries deal with the hassle of making most items. People keep pointing a finger at China like they exist in a vacuum and are consuming all of what they make which is completely out of touch.
US manufacturing moved to China out of greed. American workers lost their jobs so large corporations could make more profit exploiting the backs of cheap Chinese labor, and manufacturing facilities that did not have to follow US safety or environmental regulations. Now, the US and Europe both give China this "pass" you mention so the corporations that donate so generously to political campaigns and personal charities and foundations may continue to make massive profits. Meanwhile, they crack down on emissions and force our lifestyles to change under the guise of "protecting the planet from climate change." Meanwhile, China constructs ever more coal fired plants and disregards almost all emissions controls. Clearly, it isn't about saving the planet. Simply bringing most manufacturing back to the US would have a greater overall positive benefit to the planet in terms of emissions than forcing us away from ICE vehicles.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
So I’m guessing we are done having a ridiculous discussion about 10 lousy gross horsepower and moved on the the serious topics of climate control and ICE vs. EV powered automobiles? God, I love this forum! :crackup: :cwl:
Sponsored