22 GT and Mach down 10hp… Is this true?

KeyLime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lenny
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT/CS Convertible
And 1985 - 1986. That was SUCH a scandal even though the '86 was just as fast. Turned out that the new tuning brought the power on at a lower RPM, so it was actually a performance improvement, but people only paid attention to the HP number and felt slighted.
I remember that. I had an 85 GT and IIRC the next year the hp dropped by 10. Lots of folks got mental about that. The real beauty of the 85 GT is that it was the last carbureted Mustang. The end of Holley 4 bbl's is what made me mental.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The fact is that we're all going to be driving electric cars in the near future. There is no point in fighting it, it's inevitable so just make peace with it.
Not a single moment before I absolutely have to. Which may or may not happen in my lifetime, though I can assure you that I would not go willingly if it does.

It would amount to me giving up on myself if I rolled over as easily as you're suggesting I should.

Norm

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I love how this agenda for electric cars is getting pushed so hard when the US infrastructure is not ready at all for this. When I can take an electric car from LA to NY and have multiple charging stations available EVERYWHERE is when I will be comfortable owning an electric car. Hybrids make sense right now but full electric cars do not unless you're required to stay in city driving only or make small trips.

KeyLime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lenny
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT/CS Convertible
I love how this agenda for electric cars is getting pushed so hard when the US infrastructure is not ready at all for this. When I can take an electric car from LA to NY and have multiple charging stations available EVERYWHERE is when I will be comfortable owning an electric car. Hybrids make sense right now but full electric cars do not unless you're required to stay in city driving only or make small trips.
I'm no fan of electric cars. They're the future but I don't like it. But long distance freeway trips are reality.

A couple of years ago I had friends come to CA from TX in their Tesla Model S. They had no issues at all. Every 5 hours or so they had to stop for 45 minutes to charge up. But after a 5 hour leg they didn't mind stretching their legs and having a bite to eat. The Tesla software planned the route and optimized all the charging stops.

Off the freeways? Well there's a problem. Try finding a charging station in Chinook, MT or some such place.

My big question is: Why would they leave TX and go to CA, even for a visit??

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I'm no fan of electric cars. They're the future but I don't like it. But long distance freeway trips are reality.

A couple of years ago I had friends come to CA from TX in their Tesla Model S. They had no issues at all. Every 5 hours or so they had to stop for 45 minutes to charge up. But after a 5 hour leg they didn't mind stretching their legs and having a bite to eat. The Tesla software planned the route and optimized all the charging stops.

Off the freeways? Well there's a problem. Try finding a charging station in Chinook, MT or some such place.

My big question is: Why would they leave TX and go to CA, even for a visit??
It will certainly change how we plan road trips which I'm fine with. In the grand scheme it's probably better that people get out and walk around a bit for 30-45 and plan trips that way. What you said is what I was getting at. You need these electric stations even in the po-dunk areas of the nation.

Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I suspect there will be more of a "gen 3.5" than a Gen 4. It would likely be the Bullitt/Mach1 engine combined with the cylinder deactivation of the F-150 5.0. Maybe some other tiny tweaks, but not enough IMO to call it a proper "gen 4".

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
It will certainly change how we plan road trips which I'm fine with. In the grand scheme it's probably better that people get out and walk around a bit for 30-45 and plan trips that way. What you said is what I was getting at. You need these electric stations even in the po-dunk areas of the nation.
I looked at if my parents took a Lightning or Mach-E to Florida. They like to drive straight through from PA. It would basically be a 1hr break/charge for Lunch, then Dinner, then a break near the end of the day to stretch legs/walk the dog. Then they would arrive. This is assuming Fast Chargers though.

The expansion of Fast Chargers and their availability will be the main factor for EV expansions.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I suspect there will be more of a "gen 3.5" than a Gen 4. It would likely be the Bullitt/Mach1 engine combined with the cylinder deactivation of the F-150 5.0. Maybe some other tiny tweaks, but not enough IMO to call it a proper "gen 4".
Exactly what I was thinking. You may see another version of the Gen3 with something improved but Ford is not about to invest into a new engine for likely the last ICE generation we'll see. I think we have hit a performance high with the 5.0 and its output with Gen3 which is why I think the next one will be a slight bump if anything. I hope I'm wrong but with everything going on today and the recent "editions" being released, I am a bit skeptical.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Exactly what I was thinking. You may see another version of the Gen3 with something improved but Ford is not about to invest into a new engine for likely the last ICE generation we'll see. I think we have hit a performance high with the 5.0 and its output with Gen3 which is why I think the next one will be a slight bump if anything. I hope I'm wrong but with everything going on today and the recent "editions" being released, I am a bit skeptical.
I'd LIKE to see it go out with the 5.0 FINALLY having hit 100hp/L I mean it's been trying for decades, and finally SO close.

Sponsored

Tacticly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
BMW M4
Here we go its 1972-73 repeating. Hold on to your high HP cars its gonna be a long time before we get them back.
not at all smaller engines making big HP look at a car like an audi rs3 or other small turbo engines but those will be going also the libs want everything electric by 2035 in some states and countries the laws already written cali you won't be able to buy gas after 2035

Baldilocks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.blueearlbrewing.com
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium California Special
Vehicle Showcase
not at all smaller engines making big HP look at a car like an audi rs3 or other small turbo engines but those will be going also the libs want everything electric by 2035 in some states and countries the laws already written cali you won't be able to buy gas after 2035

Yep, my 2.0L Golf R makes 437hp at the wheels. At least we can still make power if/when we want too --- except in California.

Tacticly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
BMW M4
Yep, my 2.0L Golf R makes 437hp at the wheels. At least we can still make power if/when we want too --- except in California.
porsche gt3 rs 4.0 had 500 hp 10 years ago and better mileage normally aspirated

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
But after a 5 hour leg they didn't mind stretching their legs and having a bite to eat.
That will likely change when, after the five hour leg, they find all the charging stations already in use, and maybe also five other cars waiting. They may find they'll have an awful lot of leg stretching to do.

It's all nice and well being the only EV owner within a hundred-mile radius and having all the charging stations to yourself. But wait until everybody has an EV. A gas station can have, say, six fuel pumps, and each one can cater to ten customers per hour, give or take. An EV charger does one customer an hour. Will there be sixty ultra-high power chargers in every station to maintain the same rate?

Last edited:

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
The current GT is a Gen 3 Coyote. The current Bullitt/Mach1 is a Gen 3 Coyote with a different intake manifold... Cylinder deactivation is Ford's way of breaking the Coyote motor. It's a "feature" nobody wants nor does it add any value to the vehicle. All it does is create additional complexity. One more thing to go wrong. They need to end it with the Gen 3 Coyote how it is. Not follow GM's steps down a rabbit hole. GM started with cylinder deactivation and now have what's called Dynamic fuel management technology. It has 17 different cylinder patterns for turning off cylinders. What a bunch of idiots... Alas... whatever the F-150 gets the Mustang will get... unfortunately.
Sponsored