Not open for further replies.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
oof. The entitlement is strong in this thread.

I’m over here thrilled that there will likely be a nice tech loaded 500hp 2+2 sports car for likely less than $60k and here we have people sad about it because it doesn’t have a sticker that says Shelby to make us feel “special”. What a time we live in.
So me wanting an affordable sports car (what the mustang is supposed to be) is somehow entitlement? Shelby models have always had a premium price tag because of the name. Having a non Shelby Mustang approach the same tier pricing eliminates the “affordability” aspect IMO.
Sponsored

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
There are no "affordable" sports cars any longer as I see it.

Not even the MX-5 is "affordable" any longer it now starts at almost 37k USD with the 2.0L engine around in Europe.

I know in US with the history of the Mustang, Camaro, Challenger/Charger, Corvette you have been spoiled :). So much grunt for so little cash. But times change, today's youth are interested in hybrids/electric cars most likely, growing competition and increasing costs. Hell a base Cayman in Sweden is around 60k USD, it's difficult to compare prices but still.

If this would come in the same price as the Bullitt that would be fantastic, but I would think it will be more expensive. Still it is a a lot of car for the money.

With that said the side profile looks awesomely aggressive :)

Last edited:

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Indeed, you guys n gal in the US are lucky to be able to choose a "stripper" V8 Mustang.......in Europe and the rest of the world, the GT is sold in premium trim (with most of the Perf Pack) only. I get that though, if it's going to be compared to Mercedes/BMW/Audi coupes over here, then it needs to be loaded. Even if those European equivalents are more likely powered by a 6 cylinder.

But I guess even for you the option of a stripper with the most powerful engine options ended in the 60's when you had the choice of 4 or 5 V8s in differing configurations. But now you can buy a base GT and head to the aftermarket for your power.

Like it or not though, this Mach 1 will be a top trim and you'll have to pay for it.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Because the fear is that it is going to be another $50k+ NON SHELBY Mustang. Now again, they can surprise us all but at the end of the day the price they are likely to charge will not be easy to justify for it being just a "parts bin" vehicle. Give me a stripped down GT (and by stripped down I mean the option to get the car without EVERY DAMN option imaginable slapped in to jack up the price. Looking at you PP2 and Bullitt) with an NA 5.2 gen 2 (no plasma bores please.... or at least no complicated rats nest of direct injection fuel lines) for under $40k or give me a hybrid A10 making a combined 600hp for under $50k.
Zack, so what if it is? If you don’t like it, don’t buy it. Not everyone wants a Shelby. My almost 50k fully loaded California Special is exactly what I want. I’m sure those with PP2’s and Bullitt’s feel the same way. The negativity is unwarranted and unnecessary.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Having a non Shelby Mustang approach the same tier pricing eliminates the “affordability” aspect IMO.
Seriously? If you were talking about base GT’s fine but fully loaded special edition models approaching Shelby prices is not an issue. As others have said you can still get a 460hp car in the low $30k so your affordability reasoning really doesn’t hold water.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Zack, so what if it is? If you don’t like it, don’t buy it. Not everyone wants a Shelby. My almost 50k fully loaded California Special is exactly what I want. I’m sure those with PP2’s and Bullitt’s feel the same way. The negativity is unwarranted and unnecessary.
Seriously? If you were talking about base GT’s fine but fully loaded special edition models approaching Shelby prices is not an issue. As others have said you can still get a 460hp car in the low $30k so your affordability reasoning really doesn’t hold water.
I guess I am in the minority that does not like spending $50k+ on a vehicle I can (mostly) build myself from a vehicle that is thousands less. That is my entire point here...... The 2021 Mach 1 (from what we have seen so far) is a parts bin vehicle. It signifies (to me at least) VERY little effort on Ford's part to create a new specialty Mustang and quite simply could be just a money grab intended for those that want the Mach 1 name. Remember, 3 years ago the Mach 1 name was going to be used for the Mach E. That means (to me again) that this vehicle was conceived and developed in less than 3 years. The Shelby's usually have something you simply cannot get in a "standard" Mustang (the FPC 5.2 for instance) which (you can absolutely argue this) justifies a price premium over a standard GT. The Mach 1 (from what we know so far) is a Bullitt with a different tune and likely Shelby coolers (that should have been included in the bullitt and PP2 to begin with). Plus, for it being marketed as the "most track capable" mustang, I don't think the added weight of the 401a premium interior, leather interior, 12 speaker sound system, etc... really fits don't you? That stuff is added to increase the price and "justify" it. IMO, I am tired of Ford making specialty mustangs on the same chassis that take very little effort to develop and adding every option imaginable to justify a $50k+ price tag.

Now again, my opinion is based solely off of ASSUMPTIONS about what will actually be included in the Mach 1 and its price. Ford can completely surprise us all and unveil and stripped down (not including every option imaginable), track oriented vehicle under the 50K mark which would invalidate most of my complaints. I highly doubt this is the case though.... We are all allowed to have different opinions (at least I think so... haha) and my opinion (based off of what we know right now) is that the 2021 Mach 1 is going to be another money grab specialty variant by Ford for those that want the Mach 1 name that will very rarely take the car to an actual track event. To me it just shows very little effort on Ford's part towards the REAL "classic" 2 door sports coupe in a time when Ford seems hell bent on taking the mustang name and slapping it on everything imaginable. Obviously, this is not a popular opinion.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Now again, my opinion is based solely off of ASSUMPTIONS about what will actually be included in the Mach 1 and its price.
Of course you are entitled to your opinions and POV, even if they are wrong. :cwl::crackup: Kidding...........

My point is that we do not know shit yet, not really. But that doesn't stop some folks from ripping the car apart. As lovers of the car and the brand, do it hurt to remain positive until shown otherwise? No matter what Ford does there are going to be lovers and haters. But lets at least see the product first then we can make a valid decision.

Last edited:

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
I guess I am in the minority that does not like spending $50k+ on a vehicle I can (mostly) build myself from a vehicle that is thousands less. That is my entire point here...... The 2021 Mach 1 (from what we have seen so far) is a parts bin vehicle. It signifies (to me at least) VERY little effort on Ford's part to create a new specialty Mustang and quite simply could be just a money grab intended for those that want the Mach 1 name. Remember, 3 years ago the Mach 1 name was going to be used for the Mach E. That means (to me again) that this vehicle was conceived and developed in less than 3 years. The Shelby's usually have something you simply cannot get in a "standard" Mustang (the FPC 5.2 for instance) which (you can absolutely argue this) justifies a price premium over a standard GT. The Mach 1 (from what we know so far) is a Bullitt with a different tune and likely Shelby coolers (that should have been included in the bullitt and PP2 to begin with). Plus, for it being marketed as the "most track capable" mustang, I don't think the added weight of the 401a premium interior, leather interior, 12 speaker sound system, etc... really fits don't you? That stuff is added to increase the price and "justify" it. IMO, I am tired of Ford making specialty mustangs on the same chassis that take very little effort to develop and adding every option imaginable to justify a $50k+ price tag.

Now again, my opinion is based solely off of ASSUMPTIONS about what will actually be included in the Mach 1 and its price. Ford can completely surprise us all and unveil and stripped down (not including every option imaginable), track oriented vehicle under the 50K mark which would invalidate most of my complaints. I highly doubt this is the case though.... We are all allowed to have different opinions (at least I think so... haha) and my opinion (based off of what we know right now) is that the 2021 Mach 1 is going to be another money grab specialty variant by Ford for those that want the Mach 1 name that will very rarely take the car to an actual track event. To me it just shows very little effort on Ford's part towards the REAL "classic" 2 door sports coupe in a time when Ford seems hell bent on taking the mustang name and slapping it on everything imaginable. Obviously, this is not a popular opinion.
If the ford authority report is accurate, we’re going to see a bespoke engine in this car.

525hp and 450tq are insane numbers for an NA mass produced engine.

I love NA power and will be following the MACH1 very closely, as I did the GT350

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Like it or not though, this Mach 1 will be a top trim and you'll have to pay for it.

Yep I've said and still believe the Mach 1 will come in at at least 55k and if there's any options it will hit 60k with no problem.

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
525hp and 450tq are insane numbers for an NA mass produced engine
I will give you that, 525 from a coyote would be impressive but it would be far from a bespoke engine.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I am enjoying reading the scuttlebutt here. I would pose the main question: Will Ford make money on this car?

Car companies don't make much cash on "stripped", low option cars. 33K out the door on a car that could be 50K out the door. They will do what they did with the Bullitt: make it an options loaded car. It only makes sense. They are capturing the hearts of those of us that are older and have more money. I remember the '69 and up Mach 1s. Many youngsters today don't even know what a carburetor is. So, what matters is the folks that have the $$ to buy this car. Too aggressive and many older folks, like me, will pass. Buy the GT500 or just a loaded Premium Mustang GT.

I, personally, won't buy a car without adaptive cruise control, leather heated/cooled seats, automatic transmission, nice wheels and looks cool. Love my Bullitt, but the A10 car is faster and takes less work to perform.

Stripped cars were always for entry level folks or those dedicating the car to the dragstrip or track. That is not most Mustang buyers. Remember, too, that performance based cars have a lot more warranty claims and those costs must be built in to the model to make a profit.

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
I will give you that, 525 from a coyote would be impressive but it would be far from a bespoke engine.
Right, I don't get the hype. A gen 3 coyote will make that with just a E85 tune. Big deal

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Ah, but what will it take to get 525 on 91/93. Bespoke, most likely not. But some upgraded internals, maybe.
That's right. There is no way Ford would have an E85 dedicated engine. 525 on 93 would be 65 more HP over the stock engine. Think of what Ford could still do with this engine. Valving, camshaft profile, Piston shape/compression, stroke giving more cubic inches, tune. Could be a very cool forged piston engine doing 8,500 RPM.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.