RedTetsu13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT California Special
Hey all,

New here, figured I'd get some more input before I go in next week to order my Mustang. I've always cared more about handling than straight line power but given the changes to the 21MY Mustangs, the Base GT is currently making a very good argument (especially true when I compare the difference b/w the insurance of both vehicles, about $44 difference between the two in a six month billing period). The plan is for this to be my first sports car that I can grow into (driving skill wise) and it'll be the first manual that I own (learned on a friend's GT part of the reason why I'm getting a Mustang 😁). My plan's for the vehicle do include eventual track use, but it will serve as my daily driver as it's primary function. I currently live in an apartment complex with no garage so I'm trying to get a Mustang where I only need limited mods (wheels/tires) to get it where I want to be.
Of course everything will be based on whether I can actually afford it, but to those of you who currently own a GT, what are your thoughts on Magneride, is it a must have or can I forego it?
Additionally are there any GT owners who have jumped up to a square set up on their own GT's?

Additionally as I live in Michigan (parents live in Illinois and I have friends and family in Minnesota) can someone recommend a set of good A/S tires that don't suck ass in snow or rain (preferbly something that could fit on either the GT and the Ecoboost HPP, multiple recommendations are a good thing).

I look forward to everyone's advice and thoughts.

Regards 😁

EDIT/Update: Wow wasn't expecting this much feedback to be honest. So I talked with my sales rep on the GT pricing, and I've ruled out the GT PP + Magneride and GT PP options, just to out of my price range.

Given everyone's input thus far I'll probably be going with the HPP Premium + Magneride after all. The only benefit of the GT for me that outweighs everything else would be the sound as I would have to upgrade all the handling components myself over time (Given my current living arrangement is an Apartment I would have to drive to my parents house to do the upgrades in the Chicago-land area).

For those who currently have an HPP Manual, mind filling me in on how the clutch feels and everything (more concerned if I would need to do a clutch spring mod or not also a little nervous as this is my first manual I'm owning, I'd like to try not to stall it too much driving back to my apartment after delivery and all lol). Also suggestions for Tires would be great as well (trying to keep around 265 to 255 wide tires).
Sponsored

Last edited:

Pkvir

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium-PP1
It all depends if you want to modify your vehicle. I plan to keep mine stock, so I went with the GT Premium, PP1 w/ Magne-Ride....couldn't be happier. If you plan to change stuff, go with a GT, or GT Premium if in your price range. I think the Ecoboost is a nice car, but I have never heard anyone say they wish they had a Ecoboost when they have a GT.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
What is your budget? There's a huge difference between an HPP and a GT with PP and Magnaride. Obivously the latter is the better of the choices, but you'll certainly be paying the most for it.

For daily driving you want a square setup, and if you live in Michigan you'll want two sets of wheels anyway, one for snow tires and one for summers if you'll be driving it all year round.

S550 HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost High Performance Package
I really enjoy my Mustang Ecoboost HPP with the handling package. I test drove a Mustang GT and it was great, but for the way I drive I determined I would use the great handling of the HPP in the Utah canyons more than the 460 HP of the GT.

But that’s the charm of the Mustang, you can build it the way you want, from rental car all the way to fire breathing GT500.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I really enjoy my Mustang Ecoboost HPP with the handling package. I test drove a Mustang GT and it was great, but for the way I drive I determined I would use the great handling of the HPP in the Utah canyons more than the 460 HP of the GT.

But that’s the charm of the Mustang, you can build it the way you want, from rental car all the way to fire breathing GT500.
How's your gas mileage been with the colder weather? I was getting record lows of 17 combined average lol. That's the worst thing about the GT honestly.

SoulHunter91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Twister Orange
I was in same situation as you are right now. End up getting Eco HPP. I drove 2015 GT before so if you want me to tell you the truth. Eco HPP is way slower than GT. If you like tracking your car and love powerful V8 sound, get gt or you will reget 😅. I do enjoy my HPP but miss V8 sound. I love mustang because of its V8 but oh well. May be time for adding second mustang to garage 😛
Yup Insurance difference between eco and gt is not much but gas mileage and maintenance cost is. I chose premium eco hpp because I can't stand cloth seats and tiny calculator screen for infotainment. I still feel happy in premium mustang when stuck in traffic for hours.
If you care about interior and feeling luxury, your best bet would be Premium GT+ digital cluster. Then you can add aftermarket wheels, handling stuffs like bigger antiroll bar, suspension later.

S550 HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost High Performance Package
How's your gas mileage been with the colder weather? I was getting record lows of 17 combined average lol. That's the worst thing about the GT honestly.
With only summer tires, I put it away for winter. But in October I was getting 22 or 23 on premium. Not super deluxe for sure. 😀 Its mostly a weekend toy so poor MPG is not a concern to me.

We have a 2019 RAV4 hybrid with Blizzaks for the nasty weather.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
With only summer tires, I put it away for winter. But in October I was getting 22 or 23 on premium. Not super deluxe for sure. 😀 Its mostly a weekend toy so poor MPG is not a concern to me.

Oh mine is put away now, but I drove it up until the snow storms lol. Tried to get the most enjoyment out of it before next year.

Cheo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs

The summer/competition Corsas are problematic in low temperatures and is something a buyer should consider. But the same is true for all Mustang with these type of tires. I plan to drive through the winter (very little snow but cold temps) so an all season tire is planned. I went HPP for Handling, I autocross this car and it’s my daily driver.

Sponsored

Shawn82

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Treigh
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang HPP
The summer/competition Corsas are problematic in low temperatures and is something a buyer should consider. But the same is true for all Mustang with these type of tires. I plan to drive through the winter (very little snow but cold temps) so an all season tire is planned. I went HPP for Handling, I autocross this car and it’s my daily driver.
They definitely are problematic, almost no grip whatsoever. Have you decided which all seasons you're gonna get? I Have an HPP that I have to drive through the winter. The Pilot Sport AS3 was on top of my list.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'd buy the car you want in a certified pre-owned or even used from a reputable dealer rather than compromising the car's options so you can afford brand new. There's nothing bad about a used car and Mustangs depreciate quickly. Let the first buyer take that initial hit.

OP
OP
RedTetsu13

RedTetsu13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
They definitely are problematic, almost no grip whatsoever. Have you decided which all seasons you're gonna get? I Have an HPP that I have to drive through the winter. The Pilot Sport AS3 was on top of my list.
My personal plan was to talk with the dealership at the time of order and see what they recommend. I do have the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ (Since I work at Ford I do have a discount but I want a long list of viable options and weigh cost vs performance). Goodyear Eagles Exhilarate were another I found and I found General G-MAX AS-05's as my extreme budget pick. Current plan is to not really push the car until I feel comfortable with Rear Drive and I also need to work at driving stick (Need to get gud before pushing/finding the limits of the vehicle.

OP
OP
RedTetsu13

RedTetsu13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
I'd buy the car you want in a certified pre-owned or even used from a reputable dealer rather than compromising the car's options so you can afford brand new. There's nothing bad about a used car and Mustangs depreciate quickly. Let the first buyer take that initial hit.
I did try doing this option but I legitimately cannot find what I'm looking for within a reasonable distance of myself. I'm also fairly hesitant of buying a performance V8 second hand because I don't know what the previous owner has done or how hard they had pushed the vehicle before they got rid of it (different story if we were in say Japan).

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I did try doing this option but I legitimately cannot find what I'm looking for within a reasonable distance of myself. I'm also fairly hesitant of buying a performance V8 second hand because I don't know what the previous owner has done or how hard they had pushed the vehicle before they got rid of it (different story if we were in say Japan).
In Japan you probably wouldn't find a performance V8 second hand too easily. Here they are everywhere.

I guess it depends on how patient you are and how important getting the exact options you want is to you. I bought a few different used Mustangs and always had good luck.

If you were really worried about problems, that would be a reason to go for CPO. That could be hard to find, but another option is just a used one that still has some of the original warranty left. I bought my 2017 GT used earlier this year and I love it. My FiST was CPO when I bought it(although it only had 500 miles, so not much usage on it). You definitely want to look really carefully at any used vehicle before buying, though.
Sponsored