Mattgio64

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Hey everyone,

I just installed Steeda sport lowering springs for magneride on my 2021 GT. Car has 5k miles on it. First start up I am getting a suspension failure, fault is with the front left shock. Can’t visually see anything wrong, connector is on solid. Any ideas on what I broke? Thanks in advance.

Matt
Sponsored

Knockdown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Did you disconnect the Magneride sensor from the lower control arm prior to removing the strut?

OP
OP

Mattgio64

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
I don’t remember! But I did replace the lateral links and had to reconnect the sensor arm.

Knockdown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I don’t remember! But I did replace the lateral links and had to reconnect the sensor arm.
May want to check the orientation of that bracket. The only other caution I remember was to not use an impact gun on the strut top nut.

OP
OP

Mattgio64

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Too late on the impact unfortunately. Did final tightening by hand.

Sponsored

Robottrainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Robottrainer
Hey everyone,

I just installed Steeda sport lowering springs for magneride on my 2021 GT. Car has 5k miles on it. First start up I am getting a suspension failure, fault is with the front left shock. Can’t visually see anything wrong, connector is on solid. Any ideas on what I broke? Thanks in advance.

Matt
Might need a ride height re-clibration.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Yes, you need to re-zero the ride height, but that's not your problem. Either the FL sensor is not connected properly or it's been damaged. To test, swap the FL and FR sensors. The fault will follow the sensor.

Inspect the connector and the cable itself to make sure nothing has been pinched and the contacts are in good working order. If everything looks good and the fault follows the sensor, then you need a new sensor.

OP
OP

Mattgio64

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Ok great, thanks for the help! I’ll start there.
Something to note, I got the error when I first started after lowering. Then it went away. The shop I did my alignment at ran a diagnostic and found that code. Cleared it and it came back. I currently have no check engine light and my OBDII code reader finds zero faults. What gives?

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Please feel free to give our lead tech a call in the morning. He can be reached at 1800 950 0774 & he can help assist with any issues you are experiencing.

TJ

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Ok great, thanks for the help! I’ll start there.
Something to note, I got the error when I first started after lowering. Then it went away. The shop I did my alignment at ran a diagnostic and found that code. Cleared it and it came back. I currently have no check engine light and my OBDII code reader finds zero faults. What gives?
The fact that you didn't get it prior to the work makes me think that the sensor might have been damaged during the spring change. It's easy to do. I've done it personally by being just a bit careless.

If you don't have any codes now, does the car drive as you'd expect? It could have been a situation where by checking the connectors, you fixed it. It's not uncommon to have a connector which appears to be latched, but it isn't making consistent contact. Just by disconnecting/reconnecting you've made it seat properly and now it works.

A couple of us have had somewhat random errors pop up with the DSC Controller which needed to be cleared, but I've never seen it with the OE controller.

OP
OP

Mattgio64

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
The fact that you didn't get it prior to the work makes me think that the sensor might have been damaged during the spring change. It's easy to do. I've done it personally by being just a bit careless.

If you don't have any codes now, does the car drive as you'd expect? It could have been a situation where by checking the connectors, you fixed it. It's not uncommon to have a connector which appears to be latched, but it isn't making consistent contact. Just by disconnecting/reconnecting you've made it seat properly and now it works.

A couple of us have had somewhat random errors pop up with the DSC Controller which needed to be cleared, but I've never seen it with the OE controller.
Makes sense, but can you clarify what sensor? Do you mean the device mounted to the car that has a link to the lateral link? The position sensor? Or is there something internal to the strut?

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Makes sense, but can you clarify what sensor? Do you mean the device mounted to the car that has a link to the lateral link? The position sensor? Or is there something internal to the strut?
I can go snap a pic if you need, but, yes, the small black sensor on the lateral link is the suspension position sensor that I'm mentioning. The dampers themselves are fairly simple electronically. There's only a positive and negative for input current.

Knockdown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I have my wheels off at the moment, here’s the LF….

FD17BCE3-5EA9-435E-A846-EB9FAF6F2EC9.jpeg
Sponsored