Sponsored

2062 to 2087 Oil Pressure

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Well, I never took any notes (specific pressures) because I never expected this to happen, but on my last oil change I swapped from the 2062 filter to the new replacement 2087, and the oil pressure is higher. Pressure are slightly higher across the board, in all temps and driving conditions. I wish I had noted them so I could quantify it for you guys, but....

Anyone else made the swap and experienced this? Don’t get me wrong, it’s not enough change to cause alarm or concern and everything is running just great. And no, it’s not just higher pressure because it’s new clean oil. Just curious if anyone else has seen this.
Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Well, I never took any notes (specific pressures) because I never expected this to happen, but on my last oil change I swapped from the 2062 filter to the new replacement 2087, and the oil pressure is higher. Pressure are slightly higher across the board, in all temps and driving conditions. I wish I had noted them so I could quantify it for you guys, but....

Anyone else made the swap and experienced this? Don’t get me wrong, it’s not enough change to cause alarm or concern and everything is running just great. And no, it’s not just higher pressure because it’s new clean oil. Just curious if anyone else has seen this.
What oil are you running? It may not be the filter - could just be the new oil is slightly thicker than the old oil

RockyRidge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5 / CLK500 / Soon Shelby GT350
I want to pick up on this thread.

I also made an oil change and swapped from 2062 to 2087 using Amsoil 5w50 and also noted higher oil pressure. Usually my pressure gauge showed around 75, now if I accelerate in third, it hits around 100. Any reason to worry? :frown:

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
This has been my experience as well (an increase of ~25%). Early on it was reported that the 2019's had higher oil pressure than the 2018 and older. Turns out this was probably due to the new oil filter. I'm not worried about it.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Probably the bypass spring in the other oil filter is set to a higher PSI.

Sponsored

Evil_E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR293

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

Evil_E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR293

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Higher oil pressure is good. It's low oil pressure that you need to worry about :)

Sponsored
OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Higher oil pressure is good. It's low oil pressure that you need to worry about :)
Meeeehhh...don’t know that I’m fully vested in that one. By definition — in a round about way — pressure is resistance to flow. An increase in pressure in this specific scenario automatically tells me this filter does not flow as well as the old one.

An increase in pressure is just as much an indicator of a problem as a loss in pressure; but we don’t think about or consider that as often, if ever.

I’m not sayin there’s a problem with oil flow with this filter or anything as long as we’re still in the design/recommended specs for the engine, but I am saying that you cannot make an arbitrary statement that higher oil pressure is a good thing.

s2ms

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
1966 GT350 - 6S1757, 2017 GT350 - H3303

I installed a 2087 on my 2nd oil change and noticed the same slight pressure increase you and others have seen. Another thing I noticed....when using the 2062, pressures seemed to drop slowly with time. Not the case with the 2087, pressures are the same now as the day the oil was changed.

Threebanger

I am legend.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bray
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT350
Vehicle Showcase
MY 2020 idles at 35 PSI warm (190*+) and 95-100 PSI under load. I wouldn't sweat it.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Meeeehhh...don’t know that I’m fully vested in that one. By definition — in a round about way — pressure is resistance to flow. An increase in pressure in this specific scenario automatically tells me this filter does not flow as well as the old one.

An increase in pressure is just as much an indicator of a problem as a loss in pressure; but we don’t think about or consider that as often, if ever.

I’m not sayin there’s a problem with oil flow with this filter or anything as long as we’re still in the design/recommended specs for the engine, but I am saying that you cannot make an arbitrary statement that higher oil pressure is a good thing.

I don’t recall specifically, but I’m FAIRLY certain oil pressure is measured on the way back into the engine, so higher pressures would mean that it flows better not worse.

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
That’s not how a fluid system works. In this case, the oil pump and the oil viscosity are constants; i.e., we didn’t change them. An oil pump creates flow, it does not create pressure. Pressure is created by resistance to this flow in the form of bearing clearances, etc — restrictions. The pressure would/should be the same anywhere in the pressurized system, regardless of where the measurement is taken. Again, in our scenario in this engine, the only thing that would cause an increase in pressure — with everything else that affects pressure remaining the same — would be a change in restriction. (This is why an arbitrary statement that higher pressure is better isn’t a safe one. An increase in pressure on an established engine is every bit an indicator of a malfunction as a decrease in pressure) And since we know we didn’t change the pump, the oil [viscosity], or any other restriction that would affect pressure, this is all it could be. Just as the inverse is true; a worn engine with increasing clearances will cause a decrease in oil pressure. And in your argument, a higher flowing filter should/would actually result in no pressure change since the pressure would be established by the most restrictive points in the clearances already. Arguably variable since we now know the filter influences that.
Sponsored

Last edited: