2026 GT500 in the works?

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
This touched on something that most don’t realize. The only reason the 350 and 500’s were at the price points they were was because Ford produced so many mustangs In the other variations. If the S650 doesn’t do well it will limit Fords production of specialty variants.

and there lies the problem. you can't hide weight. The S650 should have started with a lighter chasis, but the problem is cost. The 500 is a great performer at certain tracks, but its weight keeps it from being a true performer on a technical track.

Had they lightened the S650 significantly, I'm afraid it would bring the cost up on every model of the car. The mustang line's claim to fame is performance at a bargain, or a price point. Make the car significantly lighter, and that drives the cost way up. Does anyone think the average ecoboost or GT cares about weight for track performance? Nope, not at the point of pricepoint.
Sponsored

Alex.Envy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I don't know if there's any truth behind it, but I heard rumors that the Shelby title was going to be dropped for the s650 and that's why they're going with more ford performance branded models like the Darkhorse, Darkhorse S, Darkhorse R, GT3 and GT4. Of course everything's just speculation until an official announcement.

I personally really like the new GT3/GT4 look, but I think in terms of performance the biggest issue is weight.

The s550 500 is a heffer and this is a small comparison to a gt 350 but the brakes alone are +40lbs, transmission is +60lbs, I'm assuming the supercharger and cooling is at least 150-200lbs, considering a 2018+ whipple kit is 150lbs. That makes up almost 400lbs alone.

I'm not a huge chevy guy but the new z06 and eray are insane. I realistically don't think ford can do anything to compete with that. Yes I get it's two completely different lines for corvette vs mustang, but comparing pricing a CFTP 500 comes in at 96k+, while the z06/eray comes in at 104+. For less than 10k you're getting a lot of performance.

I'd love to see a twin turbo V6 AWD DCT car hit the line up but I doubt that would happen without having another 4100lb+ car.

Last edited:

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I don't know if there's any truth behind it, but I heard rumors that the Shelby division was going to be dropped for the s650 and that's why they're going with more ford performance branded models like the Darkhorse, Darkhorse S, Darkhorse R, GT3 and GT4. Of course everything's just speculation until an official announcement.

I personally really like the new GT3/GT4 look, but I think in terms of performance the biggest issue is weight.

The s550 500 is a heffer and this is a small comparison to a gt 350 but the brakes alone are +40lbs, transmission is +60lbs, I'm assuming the supercharger and cooling is at least 150-200lbs, considering a 2018+ whipple kit is 150lbs. That makes up up almost 400lbs alone.

I'm not a huge chevy guy but the new z06 and eray are insane. I realistically don't think ford can do anything to compete with that. Yes I get it's two completely different lines for corvette vs mustang, but comparing pricing a CFTP 500 comes in at 96k+, while the z06/eray comes in at 104+. For less than 10k you're getting a lot of performance.

I'd love to see a twin turbo V6 AWD DCT car hit the line up but I doubt that would happen without having another 4100lb+ car.
Just to clarify: There is no “Shelby division”. The Shelbys are done by Ford Performance. The non Shelbys are supposedly just the regular Mustang group, GT, PP2, Mach 1, maybe Darkhorse (not sure on that one yet), etc.

Alex.Envy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Just to clarify: There is no “Shelby division”. The Shelbys are done by Ford Performance. The non Shelbys are supposedly just the regular Mustang group, GT, PP2, Mach 1, maybe Darkhorse (not sure on that one yet), etc.
Updated to say title, didn't mean a specific division.
Sponsored