Sponsored

CuriousTaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2
Backstory
Finally posting a more formal introduction after passing 1k miles and getting the build going. Joined a waitlist about a year ago after cross-shopping nearly every vehicle imaginable. Traded in a Grand Cherokee V8 due to growing concerns about reliability and the fuel efficiency was pretty terrible. Previously had owned a Canyon Denali long bed diesel, but it was uninspiring and lost faith in GM reliability. The ultimate goal was to find a comfortable, reliable, somewhat efficient vehicle to do some mild overlanding and occasionally tow/haul. Considered new Canyon, new Ranger, 4Runner, Tundra, etc. Will never consider a Jeep again..

Test Drive, Initial Concerns, Purchase
We were nervous following our test drive because the ride in the TRD OR didn't feel great, realizing afterward the tires were definitely overinflated as mine was delivered with 50psi several weeks later. Dealer had no clue. Dropping the tire pressure quickly solved those concerns. We were also surprised how small the 5ft bed felt with the larger proportions of the 4Gen and questioned how usable it would be for camping and overlanding. Switched my deposit from TRD OR short bed w/ upgrade pkg to a base TRD OR long bed w/ 14" screen and heated seats. Purchased through the Costco Auto program and paid a few thousand below MSRP.

Impressions so far
The entire platform has exceeded expectations! The ride is so much more composed and comfortable than the air suspension I'd gotten used to in the Jeep. It's also significantly quieter than the Jeep at all speeds despite the Jeep having double paned front side glass. I'll keep this section short as there's so much information out there covering the truck. Absolutely zero regrets and looking forward to putting the Tacoma through its paces! 100% worth the long wait!

Local to the PNW.. really haven't seen many 4Gens yet. This past weekend drove past an Underground TRD OR w/ roof rack and bed rack on I90 near Snoqualmie Pass. If you read this (or anyone who has the same build) truck looks awesome!

Current mods
  • Exterior: DD switchbacks, 30% tint, tailgate letters
  • Interior: screen protector, DIY wireless charger, Carista mods
  • Overland: Roofnest Condor 2, 8" Billie Bars, bed stiffeners
    • BAK Revolver X4s ordered. Supposed to ship next week but I'm skeptical based on the responses I've gotten from RealTruck about whether or not it's actually available.
Future mods
  • Short term: bed mat, weathertech, running boards, leveling kit, Binize
  • Long term: JB4, AT4W or KO3, DIY heated steering wheel, audio upgrade

2024 Tacoma 2024 TRD OR - "Budget" Overland Build IMG_7368.JPG

2024 Tacoma 2024 TRD OR - "Budget" Overland Build IMG_7367.JPG

2024 Tacoma 2024 TRD OR - "Budget" Overland Build IMG_7357.JPG

2024 Tacoma 2024 TRD OR - "Budget" Overland Build IMG_7351.JPG

2024 Tacoma 2024 TRD OR - "Budget" Overland Build IMG_7347.JPG

2024 Tacoma 2024 TRD OR - "Budget" Overland Build IMG_7239.JPG

2024 Tacoma 2024 TRD OR - "Budget" Overland Build IMG_7218.JPG
Sponsored

Mykale220

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Off-road (cement)
Great write up man, thank you for taking the time. I could be mistaken, but I’m pretty sure that the 2024 does have both an increase in sound dampening materials throughout the cab, as well as sound resistant glass (pretty sure only on the front windows though).

OP
OP
CuriousTaco

CuriousTaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2
Great write up man, thank you for taking the time. I could be mistaken, but I’m pretty sure that the 2024 does have both an increase in sound dampening materials throughout the cab, as well as sound resistant glass (pretty sure only on the front windows though).
I believe you're right, but I think it's only with the premium packages and limited trim.. could be wrong though. Either way huge improvement!

Mykale220

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Off-road (cement)
I believe you're right, but I think it's only with the premium packages and limited trim.. could be wrong though. Either way huge improvement!
ah yea, could be. I have the premium so maybe that’s where I remember seeing or hearing it.

navid

First Name
Navid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Never really thought about purchasing through Costco Auto Program. How were you able to save a couple thousand through the program and would you recommend it?

OP
OP
CuriousTaco

CuriousTaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2
Never really thought about purchasing through Costco Auto Program. How were you able to save a couple thousand through the program and would you recommend it?
It's basically a referral program. Fill out a form on Costco's website and they will funnel you to the nearest participating dealer. The intent is to streamline the purchase process by Costco negotiating the purchase price on your behalf. At the time of purchase the dealer provides you a pricing sheet showing more detailed info like invoice price, employee price, Costco price, MSRP, etc. There's other incentives listed on the website that might be region-specific like discounts on service and parts.

Using the program does make the trade-in negotiation a little more challenging as they attempt to recoup some of the money lost through the program discount.

Yes, I'd recommend using it if you're a member. The only thing that makes it tricky is you're locked to specific dealers and may have a tougher time finding a specific vehicle spec. I had to wait longer as a result.

I believe the structure has changed throughout the past few years. My understanding/experience has been:
  • Pre-pandemic
    • more participating dealers
    • pricing slightly above invoice (cost) and employee pricing
  • During pandemic
    • fewer participating dealers
      • dealers marking up vehicles were dropped from the program (or stopped participating)
    • max price was msrp
  • Post-pandemic
    • still seems like fewer participating dealers, but may start to see shift soon as inventory continues to rise
    • price is less than MSRP again, but may not be quite as favorable as pre-pandemic
Sponsored

Last edited: