Sponsored

2024 Darkhorse (tremec) vs 2023 Camaro ZL1 (tremec)

Vertex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 FJG HP
If you’re just looking at price for performance, absolutely the ZL1 is the much better buy and no argument from me that if it’s just a price shopping exercise then it’s apples to apples. My argument would be that at least in the enthusiast crowd, there are some that prefer NA over FI (and vice versa). Those folks won’t cross shop the ZL1 or GT500 with an NA car like the Camaro SS, Mach 1, DH or GT350.

And yes, $10k more for a DH than a Mach 1 with not much added for that $10k is a bit absurd. But such is the world we live in today and it’s not just cars unfortunately. I do like some of the new colors the S650 has and I like the exterior. The interior just doesn’t do it for me, maybe a mid cycle refresh will fix some of that.
I will say I suppose I shouldn't say I like the interior per se, but I liked the new cluster/infotainment center and mostly steering wheel. The only thing that bugs me with the infotainment center that a lot of the manufacturers seem to be doing is just bolting that on somewhere and calling it good instead of integrating it nicely into the dash.
Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I will say I suppose I shouldn't say I like the interior per se, but I liked the new cluster/infotainment center and mostly steering wheel. The only thing that bugs me with the infotainment center that a lot of the manufacturers seem to be doing is just bolting that on somewhere and calling it good instead of integrating it nicely into the dash.
Agreed, I don’t mind the tech but the integration needs work. Just looks like someone slapped the screens in at the end, and agreed it’s not just the S650 that has that problem.

OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed, I don’t mind the tech but the integration needs work
Too late for that. And lets face it, 's650' is a selling point, it's an s550 with a Camaro nose, inverted ass, and a tesla screen.

You forgot the number one reason most people buy a car - looks.
mustang>camaro.
Looks are subjective
zzzz2022-Chevrolet-Camaro-ZL1-1LE-scaled.jpg

zzzzz4e9a7794-1671114512.jpeg

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I don't really want a Camaro. I also like the styling of the DH. I actually like the interior too. Or I should say I think it's fine, because interior isn't that important to me.

I'm a Mustang guy. I'm sure I've owned at least 20 through the years. I've never owned a Camaro or a Chrysler product.

I think the point that I take away from this thread is something I've been thinking as well. The DH is way overpriced. The value for the money just isn't there.

The DH should have been the S650 GT PP. 20 HP, cooling and wide tires. Great. And you can get CF rims at a reduced price? That's even better. But it should have been a $50K vehicle at the most. These prices are just obscene.

Sponsored

OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
The DH should have been the S650 GT PP. 20 HP, cooling and wide tires. Great. And you can get CF rims at a reduced price? That's even better. But it should have been a $50K vehicle at the most. These prices are just obscene.
Exactly. FORD gave it just enough for most to convince themselves the 70k price tag justified.

Whereas Chevy basically said, fuck it, here's the full meal deal & the kitchen sink for around 76, and WTH, we'll give you 650hp as well.

so regarding your last sentence, truer words never spoken.

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase

W0rkH0rse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1, 2017 Explorer Platinum
No thanks im good, 2022 with TREMEC, Handling & Elite Package!
13AF72F9-9F31-4794-809C-A882ABB21B50.jpeg
Me too. I am completely satisfied with my Mach 1 with HP and Tremec. I have yet to see the S650 in the wild, so I am not commenting on looks. But I am not a Camaro fan.

Sponsored

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
They're similarly priced.

Drag strip ~ ZL1
Road course ~ ZL1
Street ~ ZL1
Street manners ~ Darkhorse
Price ~ Though a little more expensive ZL1

IMO The ZL1 is the full meal deal.
IMO The Darkhorse is a Hamburger combo that's missing the fries.
Another advantage to the ZL1 is that Flex Fuel Logic is baked into the PCM's capabilities, so with the addition of a Flex Fuel sensor (Actually an empty port on the main PCM harness for the wire from the Sensor) and a tune that enables the logic, you can have Forced induction and real flex fuel ability.

OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
What in the cheap-yet-overpriced plastic tarnation afterthought of a design is that panel under the headlight there?
Same as Chinese food, filler....

OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Bottom line:
15-17 Mustang GT - OMG bang for yer buck.
s650 - buck for yer bang.
Darkhorse - like paying 500 to a hooker & only getting a 5 dollar BJ.
IMO

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
Let’s do apples to apples.
Stock for stock what you get for the ZL1 and the DH the ZL1 wins hands down. A lot more bang for the buck.

Now when it comes to modifications and power for your dollar Ford has proven time and time again that their engine technology is heads and shoulders that above of GM. Modded ZL1s gets their lunch eaten by modded 5.0 on the net in just about every video that’s posted. I’ve seen a few Camaros and ZL1 beat mustangs but that’s far few in between and many times they are gutted down to 1 seat a steering wheel and a speedo.

Again if you’re going to stay stock yes the ZL1 price point offers way more then the DH but what it comes down ia how far do you want your dollar to stretch if you’re staying absolutely stock.
Sponsored