Sponsored

2024 Darkhorse (tremec) vs 2023 Camaro ZL1 (tremec)

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
They're similarly priced.

Drag strip ~ ZL1
Road course ~ ZL1
Street ~ ZL1
Street manners ~ Darkhorse
Price ~ Though a little more expensive ZL1

IMO The ZL1 is the full meal deal.
IMO The Darkhorse is a Hamburger combo that's missing the fries.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
They're similarly priced.

Drag strip ~ ZL1
Road course ~ ZL1
Street ~ ZL1
Street manners ~ Darkhorse
Price ~ Though a little more expensive ZL1

IMO The ZL1 is the full meal deal.
IMO The Darkhorse is a Hamburger combo that's missing the fries.
Sounds about right.

Except - I think the ZL1 vs DH street manners has yet to be seen. The ZL1 might be better there.

Bruce Jr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
So go buy a car that’s soon to be discontinued, problem solved.
1. The ZL1 was mint to take on the GT500 not the Dark Horse, Mach 1, or GT350
2. The Dark Horse isn’t out yet to say weather it performs better or worse then the Camaro

OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
So go buy a car that’s soon to be discontinued, problem solved.
You damned skippy I'd buy a ZL1 over a darkhorse. All day, everyday.
And I'm not a GM guy.

Sponsored

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Interesting topic. I built each one online the way I’d order them:

Camaro comes standard with everything I want. Only option was burgundy paint. $69,990.

For the DH there’s not one color I really like. Would probably settle for either race red or carbonized gray. Only option was the handling package. $67,960.

So for that small of a price difference, performance wise, the Camaro is a slam dunk winner. It’s well documented that the SS1LE out handles the Mach 1 and GT350 so hard to imagine the DH would flip that script. And of course power wise there’s no comparison. Appearance wise I don’t care for either of them, interior or exterior. I have had five mustangs, and zero Camaros, and have test driven Camaros pretty much every time I bought a Mustang. But forced to choose it would probably be the ZL1.

Chose the Mach over the ZL1 18 months ago and have no urge to trade it in on either of these two. FWIW I paid $56K for the Mach.

Last edited:

WCGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 6M & 2011 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
You forgot the number one reason most people buy a car - looks.
mustang>camaro.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
You forgot the number one reason most people buy a car - looks.
mustang>camaro.
Like I said in the post… I don’t care for the looks of either the DH or the Camaro.

Sponsored
OP
OP
WildHorse

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
ZL1 is supercharged 650hp. apples to oranges, try again.
Price point, same catagory, very apples to apples. Perhaps you should try again.

Last edited:

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
The better comparison IMO (NA vs NA) is the SS 1LE vs DH. Pricing is a little different (just built a 2SS 1LE for $55k) but it’s also 45hp less than the DH. Is the ZL1 a better performance buy for the $$ vs the DH, yes. Quick search on cars dot com and I’m seeing ZL1’s with markups, pushing prices to $80-$85k USD so you’re starting to push more into the GT500 range, which as someone else mentioned is really the competition for the ZL1 (also FI vs FI, so a better comparison from that standpoint as well). Before my first Mustang a few years ago, I was a GM guy for over 20 years (my wife still drives GM SUV’s). I test drove a few Camaros and while the performance, handling, etc were really good, I couldn’t get over how bad the visibility in that car is. And I think the S550 looks way better than a Camaro

Vertex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 FJG HP
The better comparison IMO (NA vs NA) is the SS 1LE vs DH. Pricing is a little different (just built a 2SS 1LE for $55k) but it’s also 45hp less than the DH. Is the ZL1 a better performance buy for the $$ vs the DH, yes. Quick search on cars dot com and I’m seeing ZL1’s with markups, pushing prices to $80-$85k USD so you’re starting to push more into the GT500 range, which as someone else mentioned is really the competition for the ZL1 (also FI vs FI, so a better comparison from that standpoint as well). Before my first Mustang a few years ago, I was a GM guy for over 20 years (my wife still drives GM SUV’s). I test drove a few Camaros and while the performance, handling, etc were really good, I couldn’t get over how bad the visibility in that car is. And I think the S550 looks way better than a Camaro
The only reason why a lot of people will disagree about the comparison is I'd be looking much more at price. If you can get that much more power at the same price point, why isn't it apples to apples? Sure one comes with a blower and the other doesn't so you can argue in point that it isn't a good comparison but most people are going to be looking at dollar amounts now with the drastic price hike on the 24MY.

Absolutely insane to me that if I optioned out a darkhorse the way I'd want it, it is over 10k more than my Mach 1. The S650 doesn't look terrible to me, although it's going to take me a long time or some kind of revision on the front end to make me like it more, although, I know they won't change the headlights and that is what probably bothers me the most about the 24MY. I like everything else about it inside and out and totally love the Bronze Ember color.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
The only reason why a lot of people will disagree about the comparison is I'd be looking much more at price. If you can get that much more power at the same price point, why isn't it apples to apples? Sure one comes with a blower and the other doesn't so you can argue in point that it isn't a good comparison but most people are going to be looking at dollar amounts now with the drastic price hike on the 24MY.

Absolutely insane to me that if I optioned out a darkhorse the way I'd want it, it is over 10k more than my Mach 1. The S650 doesn't look terrible to me, although it's going to take me a long time or some kind of revision on the front end to make me like it more, although, I know they won't change the headlights and that is what probably bothers me the most about the 24MY. I like everything else about it inside and out and totally love the Bronze Ember color.
If you’re just looking at price for performance, absolutely the ZL1 is the much better buy and no argument from me that if it’s just a price shopping exercise then it’s apples to apples. My argument would be that at least in the enthusiast crowd, there are some that prefer NA over FI (and vice versa). Those folks won’t cross shop the ZL1 or GT500 with an NA car like the Camaro SS, Mach 1, DH or GT350.

And yes, $10k more for a DH than a Mach 1 with not much added for that $10k is a bit absurd. But such is the world we live in today and it’s not just cars unfortunately. I do like some of the new colors the S650 has and I like the exterior. The interior just doesn’t do it for me, maybe a mid cycle refresh will fix some of that.