Sponsored

2024 Challenger EV reveal likely coming next week (during Dodge Speed Week)

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Marketing, or lack thereof.
Ford never really marketed their performance cars.

I've never seen any ad for ANY SVT or Ford Performance product as they know that doesn't matter. The people that give a shit about performance will LOOK for it. The people that don't know shit at all are the ones that you have to market to.

Sources: Worked for the company that does Marketing/branding for GM, BMW, Infiniti, Mini (and probably 50 other companies you have heard of)
Sponsored

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
I love Ford, but hate that they are so limited in performance focus. It took them what 7 years of the public bitching about the Raptor having a V6 (and Ram's TRX) to finally sell a V8 version again? Low T.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels

I've never seen any ad for ANY SVT or Ford Performance product as they know that doesn't matter. The people that give a shit about performance will LOOK for it. The people that don't know shit at all are the ones that you have to market to.

Sources: Worked for the company that does Marketing/branding for GM, BMW, Infiniti, Mini (and probably 50 other companies you have heard of)
Oh, I get it.

But I think Ford would get some good mileage out of a cool commercial or two like the ones Dodge has shown.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)

They did in the 60's and they OWNED it! Total Performance! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_Performance

Last edited:

Kachøw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I don't think the new concept looks bad, but it looks pretty similar to what we have now, for better or worse. I will say that I don't really see the appeal to electric muscle cars as much when the exhaust noise just isn't that great anymore.

I think the Hyundai N Vision 74 is still the best looking new concept car out there right now.

Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Regular Raptor is just a V6, and the GT350 is gone. Mach 1 has 10 more HP than my 18 Mustang GT had stock. E Cobra Jet and Mach E versions are are not street legal. The GT500, and Raptor R are priced out of the realm of the average guy, especially with ADM's. Dodge made Higher performance cars like the Hellcats more reachable to the general public. They didn't limit production to drive up ADM's. They gave MANY levels of Performance on their cars, but still maintained those over the top cars like the Demon. And made the Demon street legal, unlike the CJ. They gave this to Dodge on a platter by not challenging them. We get a weak ass Mach E that slows down after it reaches 60 mph, and Dodge gets this! Yes, Ford needs Testosterone injections.
"just" a v6 that made more power than most b8 at the time. the FOrd GT is also "just" a v6.

10-20 but not gonna argue emissions. The Mach1 also has much better cooling and would trounce your 18' GT around a track.

No, the E cars are test platforms. Whats your point?

The Demon and Hellcats were also out of the realm of the "normal" guy. Heck the "normal" American can't really financially be responsible and buy a new Honda Civic. So, what's your point?

The "general public" person is not buying a Hellcat. They start at 70K not counting markups. Thats more than the Mach1 and it still cant take a proper turn.

ADM's are dealers being dicks. Nothing to do with Ford. there were massive ADM's on hellcats too. Dont be so stupid.

And how much money did Dodge LOSE on the Demon? The car may be cool but its not bringing in money. Ford wants to make money.

The Hellcats were a challenge to the previous GT500's and the ZL1. Nothing was "handed" to them. Ford just know that people like to take corners. This isn't the 60-90's where all that mattered was the 1/4. Also look at all those Demons that shattered their rears on a single day with a well prepped track.

And you know what.. the Mach-e outsold the coupe last month.... so guess what copmanies putting money in the bank and which isnt.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Oh, I get it.

But I think Ford would get some good mileage out of a cool commercial or two like the ones Dodge has shown.
Yet i look around and the only people I see driving a Dodge are drive beat to shit chargers and challengers, usually a base Hemi or a v6. Its the same brown that use to drive beat used Altima/Maximas, Grand Am's or Grand Prix, Dodge Avengers. Hint: people with shit credit and shit income.

In my area Dodge = that car you get when you're white trash or poor as fuck. I dont care what trim it is, having a hellcat just means your rich white trash. Still trash.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
"just" a v6 that made more power than most b8 at the time. the FOrd GT is also "just" a v6.

10-20 but not gonna argue emissions. The Mach1 also has much better cooling and would trounce your 18' GT around a track.

No, the E cars are test platforms. Whats your point?

The Demon and Hellcats were also out of the realm of the "normal" guy. Heck the "normal" American can't really financially be responsible and buy a new Honda Civic. So, what's your point?

The "general public" person is not buying a Hellcat. They start at 70K not counting markups. Thats more than the Mach1 and it still cant take a proper turn.

ADM's are dealers being dicks. Nothing to do with Ford. there were massive ADM's on hellcats too. Dont be so stupid.

And how much money did Dodge LOSE on the Demon? The car may be cool but its not bringing in money. Ford wants to make money.

The Hellcats were a challenge to the previous GT500's and the ZL1. Nothing was "handed" to them. Ford just know that people like to take corners. This isn't the 60-90's where all that mattered was the 1/4. Also look at all those Demons that shattered their rears on a single day with a well prepped track.

And you know what.. the Mach-e outsold the coupe last month.... so guess what copmanies putting money in the bank and which isnt.
Yes, the Raptor V6 made more power than the F150 Coyote. The RCSB 5.0 truck also outruns in in the 1/4 mile. 95% of Raptor owners never take them off road, at least in my area. Just a show off vehicle. Not fast, except when actually off road.

The Ford GT has ONLY 647 HP Out of that super high tech V6. Not exactly setting the world on fire. Built for one class of racing, or as a rich man's show off vehicle. My $55K Coyote would embarrass that thing off a light.

Limited production is what makes ADM's expected. Don't limit production, make all that the public wants.

I'm sure Dodge made Plenty off the Demon. By selling it one year, they got people to keep going back for Hellcats, Redeyes, and all the other special editions that they seem to bring out every year.

GT500 is a Mustang Halo car. Why is there nothing in between a GT/M1 and GT500 power wise? You are stuck under 500HP, or over 750HP. A middle step would be great. GT350 was that middle step, for the track guys. Most people don't want a track car for the street. Too stiff, and they weren't any quicker than the GT A10 cars. Pointless for everyday driving. Give me the comfort and power. And That is why Dodge is killing it and advancing every year in market share. Ford better wise up soon. Ram already outsells the silverado too. As much as I dislike Dodge, they are doing so much right. Let's see what they unveil next month for the Mustang. I'm prepared to accept that disappointment that I have seen so far.

Konamoth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
It’s a nice looking car I’m a big fan of the styling, fake engine noise is dumb, but this is a great step forward in a sea of bland blobby EVs.

Time will tell how it does in the real world, it will take a lot to take the “ev muscle car” crown from the model s plaid
I'd argue it'd take not nearly as much as you suspect. At $130,000 for the model S plaid, it's more in supercar territory than anything. Not to mention it's $130,000 of nasty panel gap and half-aborted self-driving tech, that also can just spontaneously combust...

Someone gets a powerful enough car for the streets out at a reasonable price, and they'll sell like hotcakes to any prospective ICE to EV expeditioners. 500, 600 horsepower is about the most one could want and realistically use in a stock-from-the-factory car out on open roads. 1,000 horsepower from the factory on a road car like the model S plaid is bragging rights, and a speeding ticket or crash waiting to happen.

We already know track performance with EVs is going to continue to be rough for many, many years to come—track folks are going to stick with ICE. Don't bother.

Sponsored

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
But glitz and glamor aside, IMO Dodge is outrageously delusional that they are going to sell any. At the end of the day the prospective buyer will look at the price tag, see it is an EV and say, nope. I'm gonna buy an ICE.
You do realize there will come a point where ICE is either no longer available to buy or they are limited to 4 cylinder hybrid models right?

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
They will sell every one the current supply chain allows them to produce. They won't be sitting on lots, and good luck even test driving one before you order.

Last edited:

RTR077

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT RTR Spec 1
I'm a fan of the challengers/chargers and very curious to see where this goes.

Right now I would say the design is a bit too vanilla. The last point of having an UV style hatch is contrary to what a muscle car is. Are Dodge trying to satisfy two different buyers? The sound is welcome, but needs more work to avoid sounding like a 80's keyboard synthesizer

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Ford can't make enough Machs, Lightnings have $50k ADM and wait for Tesla is 6 monthish but "nobody will buy EVs". Literally everyone would be buying them already if they were cheaper. This will sell out immediately.
Sponsored