Sponsored

2023 Order Timing- What are you hearing on wait times?

PhillyMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT, 2015 Dodge Durango RT
What are you all hearing from dealerships about wait times for new 2023 Mustang GT orders right now?
I'm looking to get a 2023(400A, PP, MR) before it changes over to the new 2024 with it's awful (to me) all-electronic dash.
Don't want to take delivery in the middle of winter here in Philly, but also don't want to wait too long and get locked out.

What are you all hearing?
Sponsored

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium California Special
What are you all hearing from dealerships about wait times for new 2023 Mustang GT orders right now?
I'm looking to get a 2023(400A, PP, MR) before it changes over to the new 2024 with it's awful (to me) all-electronic dash.
Don't want to take delivery in the middle of winter here in Philly, but also don't want to wait too long and get locked out.

What are you all hearing?
I ordered my 2023 GT Premium, 401A, California Package, automatic this past Friday, 10/7. I received an email from FORD that my order has been confirmed.
The email said the following:

Your vehicle order is one of the early orders for the 2023 Mustang GT, and because we are building this vehicle just for you, we wanted to share a bit more on our production process as it may impact your delivery time. As part of the quality assurance process at Ford Motor Company, customer orders are only built when all quality checks have been met. This process may lead to a longer wait time for your vehicle to be built, but is designed to help ensure your satisfaction. Throughout the production process, we will keep you updated on the status of your order. You will receive email notifications when your vehicle is:​
  • Scheduled for Production – all necessary parts are secured, and your order has been placed in the production schedule.
  • Built – when your vehicle has been built, we will let you know of the estimated arrival date at your dealership.
  • Shipped – when your vehicle has been shipped and is on its way to your dealership, we’ll include the latest estimated arrival date. Please check with your dealer for final delivery timing.

willymo72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang
I think absolute earliest would be mid to late January. I'd check how many 2023 mustang orders your dealership already has to give you a better idea. Also check how many unscheduled 22s have been converted to 23s, those will be built first.

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
Prior to COVID, a new car would take on average 8 to 12 weeks. Now, its reasonable to expect at least a 3 to 6 month wait:(

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Agree with WillyMo, see how many are in front of you at your dealer and if they still have plenty of allocation remaining. 2023 is going to be a short run so I wouldn’t try timing up delivery as you may run into an issue of it getting cancelled if you wait too long to order. I’ve seen it in a few different places now that Ford wants S650’s being delivered to dealerships in the summer of 2023, so if you know what you want, I’d order sooner than later. Just my $0.02

Sponsored

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
Agree with WillyMo, see how many are in front of you at your dealer and if they still have plenty of allocation remaining. 2023 is going to be a short run so I wouldn’t try timing up delivery as you may run into an issue of it getting cancelled if you wait too long to order. I’ve seen it in a few different places now that Ford wants S650’s being delivered to dealerships in the summer of 2023, so if you know what you want, I’d order sooner than later. Just my $0.02
I believe the dealership I ordered it from said they ordered their first 2023 Mustang two weeks ago.

TTT12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trent
Vehicle(s)
MY22.25 High Performance Mustang
In Australia my dealer told me a 23 would be likely a January build with an April delivery.

XFactor7889

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Performance Package
I asked 2 different dealers before ordering mine last week. One said their estimate was 4-6 months, the other said 6-9 months. I gathered this was based on what they experienced for MY22.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I asked 2 different dealers before ordering mine last week. One said their estimate was 4-6 months, the other said 6-9 months. I gathered this was based on what they experienced for MY22.
Were those time frames based on the date order was placed? I ask because the longer time may sound more reasonable considering 2023 production doesn’t start for another 7 weeks

XFactor7889

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Performance Package
Were those time frames based on the date order was placed? I ask because the longer time may sound more reasonable considering 2023 production doesn’t start for another 7 weeks
That's a great question that I didn't ask them. I just wasn't in a huge rush, so I didn't need to clarify for myself. Knowing that MY23 production doesn't start until late November though, those estimates had me thinking it's possible my order won't ever go into production considering the short run and the 22s being converted to 23s that'll be at the front of the line. I assume if we have any issues with chips or anything else, my order won't be fulfilled.

Sponsored

Lgb0250

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT Premium, 22 Lexus 450h Luxury
I think the absolute latest I would wait would be mid January. I placed an order for a MY22 in July that never even got scheduled! Was just notified last week that it wouldn’t be built. Placed a new order for a MY23 on the day the order bank opened. Hopefully it will get scheduled soon. They say the MY24 should be in the showrooms by summer. To me that indicates an order cut off date on the MY22 sometime in Feb-Mar timeframe. If you order in Jan and were lucky enough to get it scheduled it probably wouldn’t be until Mar before or if it ever hit the production line. In this market there are too many moving parts to take chances with. It’s like trying to time the stock market and you know what they say about that?

Jbsimm2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang ecoboost
When I ordered my 23 EB on 9/23 my dealer said I should have by Christmas. I doubt that is true.

TTT12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trent
Vehicle(s)
MY22.25 High Performance Mustang
When I ordered my 23 EB on 9/23 my dealer said I should have by Christmas. I doubt that is true.
That does seem optimistic, but I guess it’s possible for some orders.

Lgb0250

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT Premium, 22 Lexus 450h Luxury
LOL. Did you have you hand on your wallet as you walked out? Since job#1 isn’t until 11/30/22 I highly doubt it will be a Christmas present. But, I really hope it is. If you are even going to have a chance you should get an email from Ford with your scheduling info next Thursday or Fri. Good luck.

Jbsimm2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang ecoboost
LOL. Did you have you hand on your wallet as you walked out? Since job#1 isn’t until 11/30/22 I highly doubt it will be a Christmas present. But, I really hope it is. If you are even going to have a chance you should get an email from Ford with your scheduling info next Thursday or Fri. Good luck.
I was planning on Feb or March, so I was surprised he said that. I figured he just was quoting from olden times. But who knows. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones. I was.first to order at that dealership.
Sponsored