Sponsored

2023 New ZO6 Corvette 670 hp NA

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
Why do manufacturers make Flat Plane Crank Engines rev so high when they have inherent vibration issues ? Would appear to be more reasonable to make Cross Plane Crank engines that rev to 9000 RPM.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
bragging rights. Short stroke and the resultant lower piston speeds help solve the problem. UDDU also helps but Ford chose to make their life far more difficult.

nnnnnn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
So Dodge and Chevy will basically soon put Ford out of sports and muscle car business. I can't imagine why if I want a super fast car I wouldn't go for that. I mean folks will still add FI to it later on their own and this thing will just be a monster.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
So Dodge and Chevy will basically soon put Ford out of sports and muscle car business.
Not when the sheep will pay 100K for a GT500 that'll get donkey gapped by a bolt-on NA gen3 GT. They'll do just fine.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I just wanted to say that this engine is physically too large and has a high center of gravity.

Oh, and it doesn't have enough low end torque.

Doesn't GM know that the LS engine is the best? Why go out and copy a Ford engine when you already build the best?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I just wanted to say that this engine is physically too large and has a high center of gravity.
unlike Ford, GM has this nifty technology called dry-sump...

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
unlike Ford, GM has this nifty technology called dry-sump...
Which takes up more room and is heavier than wet sump...

Edit: obviously I like OHC engines. I'm just being sarcastic for the benefit of the LS GM fans who come on here. I think this would be a good engine for a swap into a Mustang. It needs a manual transmission behind it.

Hopefully it isn't too large and tall to fit into the Mustang engine bay.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Why do manufacturers make Flat Plane Crank Engines rev so high when they have inherent vibration issues ? Would appear to be more reasonable to make Cross Plane Crank engines that rev to 9000 RPM.
The cost for a cross plane crank engine to rev to 9,000 rpm would be prohibitive for a (realistically priced)production car. That's why a NASCAR engine that can rev to 9k+ and make 850+hp goes for $100k.

The flat plane crank has it's' problems: vibration issues(one of the ZO6 test engine's oil filter backed off in testing due to vibration-so they went to a cartridge filter) and the fact that it sounds like a 4 cylinder(the 180 degree firing order is why, which it is= basically 2 x 4 cylinder engines sharing a common crank).

There are rumors of a ZR1 version of this engine coming with twin turbos=800+ hp.

It's a shame Ford killed the GT350. Imagine if they did a 427 CI engine(think Fairlane, 427 Cammer etc. references), we would have a NA 700+ hp Mustang that runs 10's and be a killer on the road course.

dethmaShine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP FJG
I am quite doubtful of longevity of the engine. What is the factory warranty on z06 engines?

Also looks like they have redone the exhaust completely for a better driver experience. I guess this car is not going to be “bland” as some have seen with the stingray.

Sponsored

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
There are rumors of a ZR1 version of this engine coming with twin turbos=800+ hp.
I'm betting ZR1 will by hybrid with 200hp motor up front. Killer torque to make up for the flat plane missing it.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm betting ZR1 will by hybrid with 200hp motor up front. Killer torque to make up for the flat plane missing it.
they'll slap the supercharger onto the LT2 (steal it from the CT5V-blackwing) for one of the trims, and they'll do a electric motor up front with Turbo'd Z06 motor in another. I'm guessing Zora will be this last config, and the ZR1 will be the former. But who the hell knows.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Last edited:

detamble13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Camaro SS LS3
It's awesome this car exists. It would only be made better if there were the option of a manual gearbox. Crossing my fingers but not holding my breath that this engine finds it's way into a Camaro. I feel that would be worth a car payment again.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I'm just waiting for someone to do an AWD muscle car. All these cars are getting so much more power and making it harder to make it useful. Even at a drag strip it's getting hard to put it down without upgraded and some suspension work.

Soon as there as a AWD v8 GT, Challenger or Camaro replacement I'll hop on it.
Sponsored