Sponsored

Bassackwards

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS convertible
Another great write up!

We've seen several installs where the factory amp is bypassed without an interface and no ill effects. What are your thoughts on this?

Answered my own question today. I just completely unplugged the factory amp and plugged in my Alpine and so far no error messages. Carplay works, hands free phone works, I'll test out more later.

I don't know what the interface does but so far I don't think it is needed.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Johnny man

Johnny man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2023 mustang GT
Answered my own question today. I just completely unplugged the factory amp and plugged in my Alpine and so far no error messages. Carplay works, hands free phone works, I'll test out more later.

The AmpPro delivers a flat unmolested signal out of the Head Unit prior to the ACM while retaining all functionality along with not generating any nuisance codes. With the time, effort and cost associated with a project like this, I did not want to deal with a signal that was changed in anyway just to save $315. I considered an inline Alpine also and some of the guys here talked me out of it. At the end of the day I did not just want to amplify a signal that was molested by Ford. Believe me tearing the interior out of a $60k 3 week old car is something most sane people do not do. I guess if I was going to do it, I did not want to cut corners but wanted the best chance of sucess. Remenber PAC would not even say it was compatable. Was all a big risk so saving $315 was not high on my priority list. I am surpised the computer allows the Alpine to work, but hey you can't argue with sucess. Some have added a DSP after the OEM amp with summing to correct the signal. I would love to hear if all the functions of the head unit work on your set up like fade balance etc. Also if the computer lets it go on long term. Please let us know. Everyone who has tried this without the AmpPro has reported anomalies and/or frequency roll off and overlap. To say I am curious would be and understatement! I can report to you that the sound image and clarity of my new system is incredible along with substancial added volume head room. One benefit of the B&O system is the CD player. I listened to YES 90125 yesterday as if it was the first time I had ever heard it. Really is so much better on CD than mp3, spotify, XM....quality master feed is the key to good sound. No system manipulation can fix a poor input. My personal expectation of the music"s quality is very high, so for me if it is not high quality I would rather just not listen to it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Johnny man

Johnny man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2023 mustang GT
Nice write up.
I don't think the b/o system is that bad for most folks. I do think they set the eq for today's popular music. Not the age group's music that buys these cars mostly.
kids today don't know what channel separation is. or db punch.
I'd like to know what range the head units mid-range is boosting, Anything like China grove or Bostons smoke'n,etc with big midrange punch seems to be muffled, it has to be in the units eq settings. even the cheapest tandy(radio shack) speakers sounded better and I put them in a cardboard box in my 73 camaro
I think my late 80's panasonic boom box was louder.
I know right, I had kraco systems that sounded better

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
@Johnny man, will you go back to your installer for a retune of your DSP after the speakers are broken in?

While mine sounds great to my ears, I can’t help but wonder if it can be improved upon with a retune, now that the speakers have been broken in.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Johnny man

Johnny man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2023 mustang GT
@Johnny man, will you go back to your installer for a retune of your DSP after the speakers are broken in?

While mine sounds great to my ears, I can’t help but wonder if it can be improved upon with a retune, now that the speakers have been broken in.
I am actually pretty well versed in it myself and so anal that I am in an hour by hour state of tune at this time....kinda funny I know

Last edited:
OP
OP
Johnny man

Johnny man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2023 mustang GT

ohhhh sorry, I just figured it out you have the 9 speaker sys, sorry for the previous rant, you don't need the PAC AmpPro like the B&O sys does

MexicanFiestaST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Nice work and write up. Do you have additional pictures of the power wiring to the rear? I see the new power lead coming off the battery, presumably from a Crutchfield amp wiring kit?

DadzMach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1
Absolutely fantastic write up! I have spent countless days, weeks of my life building systems for my cars. I was so excited when Ford came out with the B&O option. I had it in my Audi S6 and sounded amazing, so I was hopeful. Well you already know where that hope went! I have not started my stereo setup in my new Mach but have every intention of doing so. I really appreciate your excellent and detailed and time consuming write up. I’m sure it will help many people, including me. So thanks for saving me the hours and hours and the gears turning in my brain all night about what I should do. Your install is very impressive and if it sounds even half as good as the write up and the job you did with the speakers and the sound deadening, I will be a very happy Man!!

wmoore26

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
WASP
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1
Great write up! Did the same hunting to confirm the AMP PRO would work for my 21 GT PP1. Thanks and a shout out to Evolvd with that confirmation. Haven't installed yet, but I am great full knowing I can without guessing.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Johnny man

Johnny man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2023 mustang GT
Nice work and write up. Do you have additional pictures of the power wiring to the rear? I see the new power lead coming off the battery, presumably from a Crutchfield amp wiring kit?
yes crutchfield kit here are a few random wire shots

20230417_104047.jpg

20230417_103657.jpg

20230417_103648.jpg

20230417_175307.jpg

20230412_095018.jpg

20230417_175315.jpg

20230417_103724.jpg

20230417_104047.jpg

20230417_103623.jpg

20230417_175239.jpg

20230412_094842.jpg

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
The reason Ford does not offer a very high quality audio system is the $4000 option price on the window sticker. VERY FEW WOULD BUY IT..... It's simply not feasible to invest all the research, development and extra time to install it and the sound deadening on the assembly line for the very few would buy it.
Maybe make it an option for custom ordered vehicles only. When I was doing my install, I reached out to B&O with some questions about their product and was promptly told to contact Ford. Of course I didn’t bother contacting Ford because I knew they didn’t know anything about a stereo that they didn’t design. I had to rely on previous experience gleaned from upgrading my Shaker Pro stereo using PAC Audio’s AmpPro interface.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
The reason Ford does not offer a very high quality audio system is the $4000 option price on the window sticker. VERY FEW WOULD BUY IT..... It's simply not feasible to invest all the research, development and extra time to install it and the sound deadening on the assembly line for the very few would buy it.
Then they shouldn’t market the B&O system something it isn’t. And it’s not even made by B&O. It’s the same crap speakers on the Premium sound package with the same crap subwoofer from the Shaker system. Only difference is the badge on the center speaker cover.

Last edited:

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Good job... People outside of the car audio community never believe me when i say that almost all factory options regardless who makes them are usually crap compared to a tuned aftermarket system with a DSP. Then they sit in my car and cannot believe the night and day difference.

I guess now you're really happy. :)

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
Nice work, I can certainly tell that many hours spent just on dynomat!! I just did phase one of my stereo upgrade, essentially replacing the shitty B&O sub with a dual-12 setup. Ran the power from the battery back and gain control from the trunk forward. Actually, the gain was a project in itself as I wanted it below the head deck, next to the USB port for easy access. Getting 2 small screws to bite...that was fun. In previous cars, that was all I needed to do for a decent sounding system, add some bass....but not this POS. Anyway, I'm still looking for ways to go about phase 2, which will replace mids/highs. Already have the amp, just need the speakers and converters. Not sure on whether to go DSP or the PAC one you mentioned...
Sponsored