2023 Honda Civic Type R

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
2023 Honda Civic Type R Has Toned-Down Looks, Tuned-Up Bits (caranddriver.com)

Thoughts? I personally like the less Fast and the Furious looking bits. Something a little more mature while subtle but still has useful bits with aero. If I could fit easily, I would replace my Accord daily with this for a bit more fun on the daily commutes. It's pretty practical around town and has decent room over something like the GR Corolla. I don't sit in traffic often. Definitely some neat cars coming out soon in the hot hatch area.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Zelek

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Yeah, looks a lot better to me than than previous. But not a fan of the front end or C pillar. Since the new Integra built on the same platform has a decent front end, hoping the Integra version of the Civic Type R will be the looker.

XFactor7889

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Performance Package
I'm undecided. I may be in the minority, but I really like the previous gen CTR, so I can't decide which I'd prefer (but I happen to love the F&F movies šŸ˜„). I'm reserving full judgment until I see it in person.... and the price šŸ˜†. I am with @HoosierDaddy, though, I think the Integra has a cooler front end.

Sponsored

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
Love it. Will be replacing this as my DD. Already got on the waitlist for dealerships. Cant wait to get one.

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
The new CTR is going to be a hell of a DD in my opinion.

Id bang one!

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
$42K+ for a FWD CIVIC.............. World has gone full stupidity. Literally.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It's front wheel drive and probably over 40 grand. I know the reviewers say it drives great for a front wheel drive vehicle, but IMO just get a RWD vehicle if you want something that drives great. People make a big stink about manual transmissions going away, but rear wheel drive is also somewhat endangered. IMO there's no good reason to buy a front wheel drive car.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
They nailed it with the styling. The original Type R was definitely a head-turner but it was either ā€œoh sweetā€ oh ā€œoh myā€¦ā€. This tones it down enough where both parties can probably appreciate it more.

My only gripe is itā€™s still FWD and not AWD. We need another AWD hot hatch.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
It's front wheel drive and probably over 40 grand. I know the reviewers say it drives great for a front wheel drive vehicle, but IMO just get a RWD vehicle if you want something that drives great. People make a big stink about manual transmissions going away, but rear wheel drive is also somewhat endangered. IMO there's no good reason to buy a front wheel drive car.
I used to feel the same way until I owned a Focus ST. Thereā€™s things you can do in a FWD car that would get you into trouble in a RWD car immediately. You could even get those cars to oversteer with a little throttle lift.

At the end of the day, Iā€™d choose RWD and a stick over the other alternatives as well, but Iā€™ve come to appreciate a performance based FWD car.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
They nailed it with the styling. The original Type R was definitely a head-turner but it was either ā€œoh sweetā€ oh ā€œoh myā€¦ā€. This tones it down enough where both parties can probably appreciate it more.

My only gripe is itā€™s still FWD and not AWD. We need another AWD hot hatch.
There's a good chance that with the next gen Civic it will be an AWD since it will most likely be a hybrid or an EV. I agree with the styling, I'm a huge fan of the subdued styling. It gives me vibes of the FD2 and the Accord Type R which I love. Honestly cannot wait to get it to replace my DD.

At least there is the GR Corolla so the Golf R isnt the only AWD hot hatch right now.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I used to feel the same way until I owned a Focus ST. Thereā€™s things you can do in a FWD car that would get you into trouble in a RWD car immediately. You could even get those cars to oversteer with a little throttle lift.

At the end of the day, Iā€™d choose RWD and a stick over the other alternatives as well, but Iā€™ve come to appreciate a performance based FWD car.
I think FWD cars can be fun, especially for novices and more timid types. But in the end they are boring. I owned a Fiesta ST and I did like the car. It was pretty decent as a winter commuter, and I didn't mind commuting in it in the summer.

However, one thing that really nails the difference between a FWD car and a RWD car is traction control. On the FiST, there basically is no traction control - or at least it is not intrusive at all. If you spin the front tires a yellow dash light blinks at you, but the car doesn't pull power. That's because you keep going in a straight line when you lose traction on a FWD car. It's a very stable setup. The tires with less traction want to go first, so spinning the front tires doesn't cause the car to want to swap ends.

Conversely, on a RWD vehicle the traction control pulls power very quickly if you are spinning the tires. And there's a good reason why. It's very easy to lose control and crash in a RWD car when the tires are spinning.

This is why RWD is fun. You actually have to be careful when you are driving and be ready for loss of traction when it happens. FWD you can just hold the pedal down, no worries.

AWD is about the same. A lot of fun drifting on snowy days, but not very challenging to drive, and most of the year you are just dragging a lot of extra weight around that robs HP from the car and makes the car more expensive and slows it down.
Sponsored

Last edited: