Sponsored

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
If you compare the 5.0 to the 4.0 liter flat 6 Porsche uses you will see that there is significant potential to increase power without increasing displacement. The 4.0 Porsche makes 500 hp, and the 5.0 is 25% larger. I would be satisfied with 625 hp. Even if Ford fell short of Porsche's specific output and got about 580 from the 5.0 I would be ok with that.

And I'm not saying how Ford should do it, though. They could easily just increase displacement to 6.5 or 7 liters and get the power that way.

You are on the wrong forum if you're trying to say we should all be satisfied with what is "needed". In my opinion, we "need" more. Every year. MORE. :like:

Yuck. Yes that would end my interest in purchasing a Mustang GT.

As long as it's not limited availability. I've had enough of cars that sell for more than MSRP because the manufacturer won't make enough to satisfy demand. And the Mustang is already essentially at 500 hp. It needs a bigger bump. Heck, my 2016 GT350 made 526. It's been quite a few years. Time for an increase.
Better start building your own engines. The days of mega hp gasoline powered engines are numbered. One can only go so fast. Be it on the street or, the track.
Sponsored

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
You are on the wrong forum if you're trying to say we should all be satisfied with what is "needed". In my opinion, we "need" more. Every year. MORE. :like:
There's some equilibrium, different for everyone, Mustang's power and limits already exceed skills of most people. There will always be a product for people who need more power. 1000 hp? Easy. If I wanted ultimate power, I'd get Model S Plaid (cause I couldn't afford Rimac Nevera's 1900 hp). But your options and outlook is far better across the pond, even usability with long straight empty roads in many places.

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Wonder what hack's gonna do when 93 oct hits $5.00 gl US ? My '17 Z06 put out over 650 hp after I had the engine massaged. Big whoop ............... There are only just so many places one can put it to use. And then, so few have the skills to utilize it.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I've been saying that we've hit the peak and now future cars will be less enjoyable. Then I saw Grabber Blue and thought, "Wow a 2022 GB Mach 1 HP car would be cool!"

I realize 10 HP isn't much, but there's already the gearing issue with the newer cars, the extremely high prices, the problems getting the car due to manufacturing issues... And do I really want to have to mess with a dealership again? My last experience buying a new Ford (2016 GT350) was really terrible.

And the Feds are going to continue trying to push the tuners out of business as well. Another reason to go with something older.
When I saw that GB was on the docket for the '22 Mach 1, I thought the same exact thing; after all, I've yet to own a Mach 1 and it doesn't get any better for a color on one. But the second paragraph also hits the nail on the head for me. Don't forget taxes, license fees, and insurance.

I'm currently on a list for a '22 GT500 (which I'd like to order in the spring), but I'm less than optimistic that it'll come to fruition due to allocations and all the dealer BS surrounding these cars. I'm feeling I've already pissed away too many minutes of my life jumping through hoops trying to obtain one - it shouldn't feel like work to buy a car. Not to mention the memories of my '07 GT500 keep popping up, and how it was complete and total folly to use on public roads. I'd never track the new one, so I really question the point.

Meanwhile, my lowly '15 GT just turned 11K miles last weekend, it's still immaculate (a documented 1-of-1 car), and I've held the pink slip for almost four years now. I've got a brand new GT350 intake manifold, injectors, and TB spacer in a box lurking in my shop attic that never got installed, thinking I might move to a different car. But let's see, ~$50K plus my '15 for that GT500, or ~$30K for that Mach 1....the "old" car that already sits there sounds more appealing all the time. The only downside is my clutch knee is starting to hate me and the GT500/Mach 1 would solve that....

What to do? First world problems.

Last edited:

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Heh ............. I feel for you. After having had a second knee surgery to my left leg, I finally had to go fully automatic. Now, looking back, I really don't miss rowing gears.

Sponsored

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
As long as you don't have rush hour traffic to contend with. Tearing my right rotator cuff didn't help issues either.:frown:

stangcrazy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Challenger SRT 392 - I know its not a mustang

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Soooo looks like Ford confirmed that the HP reduction is real and its due to emissions.
No offense but the press-titude is just repeating Ford talking points, not verifying anything. I thought the stock map (2019) was already 'breathless' up top. I'm guessing they starved it a little more. The 93 tune from Unleashed undid all of Ford's screwups so I don't really much care how badly Ford mangles their factory tune. The factory tune for Ecob and V6 was unbelievable SHITE so what if the V8 one goes backwards a smidge?

Sponsored

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Mustang sells down 34% from last year. Feeling discounts are coming.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
it has zero to do with demand. It is their ability to supply. every mustang made is being sold. the only ones I see sitting onlots at all around me have ADMs through the roof. some like 20k for mach 1s.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What else when factory is closed for 4 months from 10 now? And it will drag to next year. I waited 11 months for my car, people who ordered in March/April/May are still waiting for theirs. There won't be any discounts, the price will rise.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Better start building your own engines. The days of mega hp gasoline powered engines are numbered. One can only go so fast. Be it on the street or, the track.
I've assembled my own engines. Not that big of a deal. And I don't need mega HP. I just think that with an extremely porky vehicle, more power is needed.

I'd be perfectly fine with 500 hp - in a 3,000 lb vehicle like my old 944. My most likely path forward is swapping an LS into the 944. Doesn't even require an engine build. Just bolting stuff together - and maybe some light fab work. I'm sure I can complete it for a lot less than $50k as well.

There's some equilibrium, different for everyone, Mustang's power and limits already exceed skills of most people. There will always be a product for people who need more power. 1000 hp? Easy. If I wanted ultimate power, I'd get Model S Plaid (cause I couldn't afford Rimac Nevera's 1900 hp). But your options and outlook is far better across the pond, even usability with long straight empty roads in many places.
I disagree that the Mustang's power and limits exceed most people's skills. The current Mustang GT is super tame and extremely easy to drive. People do it daily. Even a brand new driver won't have much of a problem as long as they are cautious and take the time needed to learn how to drive the car. Sure most people can't beat a pro driver around a race track in a Mustang GT, but most people can't beat a pro driver around a race track in ANY car ever made.

And I don't want ultimate power. I just want more than what the Mustang GT has now, especially if the weight stays so high.

Wonder what hack's gonna do when 93 oct hits $5.00 gl US ? My '17 Z06 put out over 650 hp after I had the engine massaged. Big whoop ............... There are only just so many places one can put it to use. And then, so few have the skills to utilize it.
The cost of gas isn't a huge factor for me.

I think I could use 650 hp on the street no problem at all. I don't need to stay on the gas for a long time, especially on the street. Short blasts within the speed limit are fine for me on the street. 650 HP is more than enough if the vehicle is natually aspirated and under 4,000 lbs. I prefer to stay away from boost if possible, though.

When I saw that GB was on the docket for the '22 Mach 1, I thought the same exact thing; after all, I've yet to own a Mach 1 and it doesn't get any better for a color on one. But the second paragraph also hits the nail on the head for me. Don't forget taxes, license fees, and insurance.

I'm currently on a list for a '22 GT500 (which I'd like to order in the spring), but I'm less than optimistic that it'll come to fruition due to allocations and all the dealer BS surrounding these cars. I'm feeling I've already pissed away too many minutes of my life jumping through hoops trying to obtain one - it shouldn't feel like work to buy a car. Not to mention the memories of my '07 GT500 keep popping up, and how it was complete and total folly to use on public roads. I'd never track the new one, so I really question the point.

Meanwhile, my lowly '15 GT just turned 11K miles last weekend, it's still immaculate (a documented 1-of-1 car), and I've held the pink slip for almost four years now. I've got a brand new GT350 intake manifold, injectors, and TB spacer in a box lurking in my shop attic that never got installed, thinking I might move to a different car. But let's see, ~$50K plus my '15 for that GT500, or ~$30K for that Mach 1....the "old" car that already sits there sounds more appealing all the time. The only downside is my clutch knee is starting to hate me and the GT500/Mach 1 would solve that....

What to do? First world problems.
Go with a lighter clutch like the one from the GT350. Do the intake and tune changes. And maybe gears. For what you want I think the 2015 GT will be plenty good enough. It will be more fun to drive with the lighter clutch and more power. You'll enjoy it.

No v8 soon notice how mileage doesn't get better still has gas tax.
There will be lots of V8s available. I think they might stop putting them in new cars, but there are tons of crate engines out there, and also new in pickups. It just depends on what you are willing to do for your V8 fix.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you compare the 5.0 to the 4.0 liter flat 6 Porsche uses you will see that there is significant potential to increase power without increasing displacement. The 4.0 Porsche makes 500 hp, and the 5.0 is 25% larger.
718 Cayman GTS 4.0 has 400 hp, GT4 has 420 hp. GT3 RS / GT3 RS 4.0 V6 had 500 hp, true (at 8250 rpm), the compression ratio for these is 12.5 - 12.9. Mustang has 12.0. No idea what it would take to add 35% of power (or even 10-20% of power) or if it's even easily possible without completely new engine. Guess we'll see with S650.

Funny thing was the 180 000 € starting price it had back in the day, that's 250% of fully loaded Mach 1 here. Even GTS 4.0 400 hp starts at 25% more than fully loaded Mach 1 here.

These pipe dreams would cost way more than most of you are willing to pay for naturally aspirated car. The 96 hp per liter is a pretty amazing figure on its own for Coyote.
Sponsored