Sponsored

bryontro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Whipple Stage 2
About a week ago I finished a self-install Whipple stage 2 on my 2022 A10 GT. Thought I would push out some take aways from the experience. Disclaimer, I have “not” used a custom tune, so I do not have any comparison opinions. I am aware there is more HP/TQ with other tuners though.

Installation:

Kit quality is great. Engineering with clearances is great. I saw a few places with the installation manual that had prior years info and maybe pictures but nothing to cause a work stoppage during the install. Whipple should mention a tank lock ring removal tool for the pump install. I tried the hammer screwdriver and didn’t like beating on it so I ordered the $20 tool and it made the ring removal a 30 sec job.

I chose to remove the wipers and cowling completely. It did make things easier. Also chose to remove the battery box and firewall support brace next to the rear right bank. Also, to make things easier. I recommend doing both.

One area of issue I had was with installing the reservoir. I have a 401A optioned car with collision avoidance. There is a bracket that supports the sensor that Whipple tells you to utilize the OEM rear bracket mount stud. Problem I had with that is the stud was not long enough (reservoir bracket + grommet + bushing). No threads to start it let alone allow it to have enough threads to lock. I had to find something thinner but still have shock absorbing properties.

Drivability:

This is a daily driver car, on track for 20k miles first year. I went with the Whipple tune for the near stock drivability since I don’t have many complaints with the OEM feel except for holding 9/10 gears at 50 mph and for the mentioned conservative tune since it is a full on daily.

I am very happy to report that the cars drivability is fantastic. I am very surprised with how OEM the car feels. I little bit of gear whine and injector noise during normal conditions. If you didn’t know the car you wouldn’t know what lies under the hood. VERY VERY happy with drivability. Transmission changes seems to have happen as well with this calibration. Gone is the hold high gears at low speeds and just a tad bit more firmness in drive. I would place it somewhere in the middle between drive and sport, leaning more to drive.

When you hit the go pedal, I thought I saw Jesus! It’s everything your expecting and everything your reading. How technology has made possible a vehicle with so much power and brute strength still be capable of OEM drivability.

I’ve only driven the car for a week but initial thoughts is worth every dime.
Sponsored

NJMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Trackhawk-2" Kooks, pully, CAI, cat back
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome! I am amazed by the power output and drivability as well. The stock tune makes plenty of power, especially for street driving. Congrats on doing that all yourself. I freaked out putting on rock blocks, lol.

Lilmags500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jody
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1 19 F350 20 Fusion Ti 19 Escape Ti
About a week ago I finished a self-install Whipple stage 2 on my 2022 A10 GT. Thought I would push out some take aways from the experience. Disclaimer, I have “not” used a custom tune, so I do not have any comparison opinions. I am aware there is more HP/TQ with other tuners though.

I’ve only driven the car for a week but initial thoughts is worth every dime.
Did you go with the 10 rib belt or stay with the 6 rib ?

Sponsored

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
I did my own as well. Great kit. I did not use the whipple tune, as I already had Lund. Very happy with Lund. I did eventually pulley down and switch to E85. It was like putting a whipple on all over again with the power increase. Enjoy it!!

OP
OP
bryontro

bryontro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Whipple Stage 2
This being a daily, I'm gonna try and hold back from pulley down, etc. This is ALOT of power out of the box. Reliability is in the top 3 of my requirements. Not that a short block would hurt my feelings, but I just don't wanna.
I am super happy with the tune, "unless" there is concrete information out there says I'm accepting Reliability risk vs. a custom tune. I read both no and yes threads on whipples tune. Just trying to weed through the opinions vs. facts.

Scat2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
18 Dodge Charger scat pack
I’m starting to install my whipple on my 2021 Mach 1 next week.Got it about a month ago.Glad to hear about the near stock Drivability.I was going back and forth between stage 1&2 was not sure about the 132mm thottlebody and its Drivability

NJMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Trackhawk-2" Kooks, pully, CAI, cat back
Vehicle Showcase
I’m starting to install my whipple on my 2021 Mach 1 next week.Got it about a month ago.Glad to hear about the near stock Drivability.I was going back and forth between stage 1&2 was not sure about the 132mm thottlebody and its Drivability
So far...like 25 miles or so, I havent even thought it was anything but stock the way it drives on the whipple tune with the 132

Sponsored

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
very nice

OP
OP
bryontro

bryontro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Whipple Stage 2
UPDATE Week 2: Still super happy. One observation, one question.

In drive mode under medium to heavy throttle, I noticed clearly torque converter lockup is delayed from OEM calibration and lockup seems softer too. Not sure if the change is intentional or just a characteristic of the increased power. Maybe to soften things in drive. Any input?

In sport mode, seems the car is still "learning". Some sensitivity (sorting) with throttle inputs, and the tranny is still trying to "sort" things out.

Otherwise, 2 thumbs up.

Scat2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
So far...like 25 miles or so, I havent even thought it was anything but stock the way it drives on the whipple tune with the 132
That’s great

Scat2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
The ford 10r80 is nothing like GM 10L?? In the Camaro.My buddy camaro SS 1LE 10sp
Is way better the mine.maybe it tuning or hardware.but it just seem to drive much better

Last edited:

Scat2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
I be wonder when getting a calibration file out of car with the supplied whipple tuner can u still run the car.I know u have to install the whipple tune before u start car up after installing supercharger kit
Sponsored