Sponsored

2022 Mustang reliability projection to be "well below average"

Weyland-Yutani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT, '17 Volvo V60 Platinum, '04 E-150
It does make me sad to be trading in my MX-5 for the Mach though. My Miata has been extraordinarily reliable, which is even more impressive when you consider it was the first model year of the redesign.
I also traded a dead-reliable car for my Mustang. I don't expect it to be trouble-free but I wanted a V8 Pony Car and the Mustang seemed like the most logical choice for me. You really only have 3 choices anyway and I'm betting CR isn't exactly in love with any of them.

Here's the thing: I have friends who actually buy cars based solely on Consumer Reports recommendations. This is fine and they're all happy with their choices, but they also aren't enthusiasts. They choose cars like they choose their refrigerators and their cars would make me want to drink Drain-O if I had to drive them every day.
Sponsored

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
I also traded a dead-reliable car for my Mustang. I don't expect it to be trouble-free but I wanted a V8 Pony Car and the Mustang seemed like the most logical choice for me. You really only have 3 choices anyway and I'm betting CR isn't exactly in love with any of them.

Here's the thing: I have friends who actually buy cars based solely on Consumer Reports recommendations. This is fine and they're all happy with their choices, but they also aren't enthusiasts. They choose cars like they choose their refrigerators and their cars would make me want to drink Drain-O if I had to drive them every day.
I've always pictured CR as being geared towards people like your friends- they don't really enjoy driving, and just want something economical and reliable. Or maybe they want something that appears sporty, but they want to stay safe and practical so they buy a Acura ILX or whatever. Which is totally fine, you do you, but the real auto enthusiasts are going to be looking at multiple sources like traditional auto journalism, car blogs, video reviews, and enthusiast forums. Hence why getting upset at CR is kinda missing the point

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
I think CR is fair/honest. I don't see any reason at getting upset with them because they downgraded the Mustang for reliability. It's not like they have any 'agenda' with regards to the car or with Ford in general.

The truth probably is that the car has had multiple build/quality issues since the 2018 update, which I do not at all find hard to believe. That doesn't mean the car isn't worth owning, as CR themselves repeatedly report high customer satisfaction. They tailor their recommendations towards the general car buying public, so if they perceive something as being excessively unreliable, they won't recommend it. I'm not letting that stop me from buying a Mustang, but it does mean you should at least consider buying an extended warranty, which you already admitted to doing.....so in the most meaningful of ways, you agree with the CR recommendation 😂.

Also idk where communism comes into play here, but I'm sure you can educate me.
CR is biased particularly in their recommendations and commentary. Always have been (at least the 35+ years I have read it). I'm not 'upset' and certainly not because they downgraded. They generally suck , are biased, have an agenda, and are full of it. But that is of course MNSHO

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
CR is biased particularly in their recommendations and commentary. Always have been (at least the 35+ years I have read it). I'm not 'upset' and certainly not because they downgraded. They generally suck , are biased, have an agenda, and are full of it. But that is of course MNSHO
100% correct CR is worse than MT

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
For instance, the A10 software issue. That was mainly on the 18‘s.
What's wrong with the 2018 A10 software? Got almost 40k on mine and haven't noticed anything bad. Tuning improved shifting but I don't recall the stock setup being dramatically different. Meaning that there was room for improvement but I wouldn't consider it an issue.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
What's wrong with the 2018 A10 software? Got almost 40k on mine and haven't noticed anything bad. Tuning improved shifting but I don't recall the stock setup being dramatically different. Meaning that there was room for improvement but I wouldn't consider it an issue.
The was a software update to correct a shifting issue from Ford on the 18’ A10’s. It was discussed quite a bit on here a few years back.

Post #22
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...ut-from-a10-owners.159670/page-2#post-3259904

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...tions-to-harsh-or-no-shift-conditions.135463/

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
100% correct CR is worse than MT
I can't remember a time when CR had anything good to say about any American musclecar. CR is nothing more than an appliance reviewer.

Last edited:

OutWest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Old Person Special Mach 1
CR never said anything nice about the Jeep Wrangler. Yet, my 2003 TJ keeps going and going. IMHO, it is following (or doing better than) the manufacturer’s maintenance schedule that affects how reliable your car is going to be. There is a reason why Porsche claims a huge percentage of its cars are still on the road. It is because the owners tend to maintain them quite well for the next owners. CR caters to the crowd that care less about cars and just want something that won’t break even without maintenance (aka Toyota). Judging how enthusiastic are Mustang owners about their cars, I am pretty sure most of us maintain them quite well

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
I think CR is fair/honest. I don't see any reason at getting upset with them because they downgraded the Mustang for reliability. It's not like they have any 'agenda' with regards to the car or with Ford in general.

The truth probably is that the car has had multiple build/quality issues since the 2018 update, which I do not at all find hard to believe. That doesn't mean the car isn't worth owning, as CR themselves repeatedly report high customer satisfaction. They tailor their recommendations towards the general car buying public, so if they perceive something as being excessively unreliable, they won't recommend it. I'm not letting that stop me from buying a Mustang, but it does mean you should at least consider buying an extended warranty, which you already admitted to doing.....so in the most meaningful of ways, you agree with the CR recommendation 😂.

Also idk where communism comes into play here, but I'm sure you can educate me.
CR isnot honest, if you don't grease their hands your whole line gets trashed, BMW/MERC,toyo ETC can do no wrong by them. When a vehicle gets a trash review and the next years car is a carry over and they sing it's praise as a "good value buy".
Come on.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
CR never said anything nice about the Jeep Wrangler.
Warranted, given the absolute horror shows that my '12 and '13 JKs were (both bought new).

My TJs were better, but my Jeep ownership days are over after the JK debacles.
Sponsored