Sponsored

2022 Mustang GT with Performance Package - Getting it ready for track events?

OP
OP

Kennysum1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Alfa Romeo Quadraflio, 2018 TT GT Prem, 22 GT
OP, you're getting lots of good info here and lots of chatter too. I would not dive in with many upgrades at once. Take care of your brakes first - high temp fluid (Motul, etc) and track pads. Then if you plan on tracking a lot, get a square setup starting with 305s, many run, as well as I, the Apex 19x11 with front spacer AND extended studs. Tires can be stocker Sport Cup 2s, GY F1 3R, etc, all not cheap but you can manage and rotate them to prolong life. Then, you will need front camber plates (GC is what I have) up to 3 degrees and do the corner balance right away so the car is properly set up.

I have wrapped the exhaust by the diff and has worked fine so far on hot days, just ensure you cool it between sessions. I have a fan that I shove underneath the cool it during breaks, helps! I have not needed a dedicated cooler setup although have it in hand for future install if needed.

Do install at least a passenger side Ford Perf oil catch can, driver side for extra insurance although you won't need it as much.

Have fun and log your progress. Again, don't throw too many variables at once, our cars will handle well with just the above upgrades to start with. Watch your temps during sessions.

I'm not that far off my friend's ZL1, about 3 secs at Auto Club's Roval 2.7 mi. FYI, PP2s are only made 2018-2020 I believe.

1659981460032.jpeg

1659981494303.jpeg
Yea all of that is pretty much spot on the plan. APEX wheels, cup2 305 square setup, wrapping the exhaust when it is installed on Tuesday, change rear diff fluid 75-145, upgraded radiator with water and water wetter, trying to decide between Ford Perf or Steeda suspension kit, stock clutch until it is toast.

Going with a E85/Flex Fuel tune from PBD and a cold air intake for now. That will be the only power adding mods. I guess the exhaust might give it 5 to 10 also. (Yes I know most tracks do not have E85. I'll bring my own. It's just such a better fuel than 93 I am not going to not run it.)

Any track I run at is going to be extremely hot. South Florida or Arizona. I travel for work and they ship my cars back and forth. I have to plan for the heat.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Kennysum1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
Then the bigger question is how fast do you want to move up the learning curve?

Driving a mild, slower, more forgiving setup at 95-105% gives you time to process and react. It gives you a wider window to explore the edges of the friction circle and what to do when you get out of whack.

You set this car up like a razor blade and you'll find you have less of a window to play on the edge and less time to react. This can result in a slower learning curve.

Lastly, you'd be blown away later at how quickly you could adapt to a sharper setup and be able to quickly get it on the limit once you've learned the fundamentals at slower speeds.
I cannot go out and track a stock GT Mustang from a C8 Corvette and expect to have a good time... I will just end up frustrated at the car and over heating it. Plus the stock tire setup is what you would expect at that price point. It's a fine road car. But not for the track.

I am not starting out green. Just green on the Mustang platform.

I bought the Mustang because over a long period of time it is going to be by far the cheaper car to track. Not because I want to go out there and slide around on some 255s. I knew I was going to be modding it from day 1.

I got the information I was looking for. Rear diff likes to overheat, car in general likes to overheat and how to fix it.

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base
Yea all of that is pretty much spot on the plan. APEX wheels, cup2 305 square setup, wrapping the exhaust when it is installed on Tuesday, change rear diff fluid 75-145, upgraded radiator with water and water wetter, trying to decide between Ford Perf or Steeda suspension kit, stock clutch until it is toast.

Going with a E85/Flex Fuel tune from PBD and a cold air intake for now. That will be the only power adding mods. I guess the exhaust might give it 5 to 10 also. (Yes I know most tracks do not have E85. I'll bring my own. It's just such a better fuel than 93 I am not going to not run it.)

Any track I run at is going to be extremely hot. South Florida or Arizona. I travel for work and they ship my cars back and forth. I have to plan for the heat.
Get ready to go down the cooling rabbit hole if you're really capable of pushing this setup at 90-100F ambient.

OP
OP

Kennysum1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
Get ready to go down the cooling rabbit hole if you're really capable of pushing this setup at 90-100F ambient.
Yea I suspect this is going to be by far my biggest issue.

But they sell all sorts of stuff just for that luckily.

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base
Yea I suspect this is going to be by far my biggest issue.

But they sell all sorts of stuff just for that luckily.
LOL, When you find an off the shelf solution for keeping a well driven GT on 305's and sub 200TW tires cool, please let us all know!

That setup you just described above will be in limp mode by ~6-7 laps

Sponsored

OP
OP

Kennysum1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
LOL, When you find an off the shelf solution for keeping a well driven GT on 305's and sub 200TW tires cool, please let us all know!

That setup you just described above will be in limp mode by ~6-7 laps
I don't think there is a 1 piece item to buy and fix all of the issues. But I imagine a combined setup of a Thermostatic Oil Cooler and a much higher quality radiator like the Mishimoto will go a long ways. Separate Trans cooler most likely.

Then from there I would think air flow is going to be most of the battle. Might have to try a GT500 style hood for improved functional air flow. Better ducting. Etc.

OP
OP

Kennysum1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Haha that's the one I'm looking at right now. It will not be something I get until much later. Kind of a last resort type of deal.
I got a used stock hood from Marketplace for some very reasonable amount, cut it all over and installed the vents, wrapped everything with a roll of Vvivid vinyl from Amazon for like 50 bucks, and it actually added 50% to the wow factor for the looks of the car 🤪 . Oh, did I mention very sizable improvement in heat extraction capability for the car?

So, in total, it was less than buying vicrez/cervini/whatever else thing, it's much more functional and I have original hood carefully protected and stored away, that I can put back on the car in 20 minutes.

OP
OP

Kennysum1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
I got a used stock hood from Marketplace for some very reasonable amount, cut it all over and installed the vents, wrapped everything with a roll of Vvivid vinyl from Amazon for like 50 bucks, and it actually added 50% to the wow factor for the looks of the car 🤪 . Oh, did I mention very sizable improvement in heat extraction capability for the car?

So, in total, it was less than buying vicrez/cervini/whatever else thing, it's much more functional and I have original hood carefully protected and stored away, that I can put back on the car in 20 minutes.
Only problem for me is that my car came with the over the top stripes. If I have to take those off I lose 50hp easy...

Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Ok I'm a bit late to the party but here is something that I didn't seen mentioned. For a Novice the recept for the Ford Performance racing school mustangs should be good enough:

2015 Ford Performance Racing School Mustang GT
  • Ford Performance FR3 Kit (includes springs, shocks, sway bars and Brembo brakes)
  • Ford Performance radiator
  • External engine oil cooler
  • 5W50 Castrol Edge for the engine oil
  • Differential cooler
  • 285/35/19 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires (PP1 rears on the front with 5 mm Spacers)
  • RECARO racing seats
  • Safecraft 4-point harness
  • Ford Performance exhaust with black tips
  • Custom 6-point roll cage
  • Custom rear close-out panel
  • Road-Keeper Dual HD Video System
  • 435 horsepower
  • 400 lb.-ft torque

This should be enough to get you lots of track time it's very budget friendly and if it's good enough for them to run all day then it's good enough for you to learn on.

However if you want something better here is what I would probably do:

Track Mustang GT
  • MCS TT2 coilovers (450 lbs front, 550 lbs rear)
  • Caster/Camber Plates
  • Kenny Brown / Fluidyne 3Pass Radiator
  • Race Louvers hood vents
  • External engine oil cooler (MIshimoto)
  • 5W50 Castrol Edge Oil or 0W40 Motul
  • Differential cooler
  • 75W140 Motul Gear Competition
  • 1 piace Aluminium Driveshaft
  • McLeod RST Clutch+Lightweight Flywheel
  • Apex 19x11 wheels (preferably forged)
  • ARP Studs
  • OpMustang 25mm spacers
  • 305/30/19 Goodyear 3R tires
  • 2pc Sloted Rotors (Baer, Steeda)
  • Braided steel clutch and brake lines
  • Gloc R12/R10 brake pads
  • Motul RBF700 / Castrol SRF brake fluid
  • Lightwaight Racing seat
  • Front PP2 Spliter
  • GT350 Swing+Gurney flap
  • Track Alignment

Overall the track package will do great and will solve most of the issues you would have down the line with the car. But I would suggest you start with the first build and progress from there. Better spend money on track time than racing parts.

OP
OP

Kennysum1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
Ok I'm a bit late to the party but here is something that I didn't seen mentioned. For a Novice the recept for the Ford Performance racing school mustangs should be good enough:

2015 Ford Performance Racing School Mustang GT
  • Ford Performance FR3 Kit (includes springs, shocks, sway bars and Brembo brakes)
  • Ford Performance radiator
  • External engine oil cooler
  • 5W50 Castrol Edge for the engine oil
  • Differential cooler
  • 285/35/19 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires (PP1 rears on the front with 5 mm Spacers)
  • RECARO racing seats
  • Custom rear close-out panel
  • Road-Keeper Dual HD Video System
  • 435 horsepower
  • 400 lb.-ft torque

This should be enough to get you lots of track time it's very budget friendly and if it's good enough for them to run all day then it's good enough for you to learn on.

However if you want something better here is what I would probably do:

Track Mustang GT
  • MCS TT2 coilovers (450 lbs front, 550 lbs rear)
  • Caster/Camber Plates
  • Kenny Brown / Fluidyne 3Pass Radiator
  • Race Louvers hood vents
  • External engine oil cooler (MIshimoto)
  • 5W50 Castrol Edge Oil or 0W40 Motul
  • Differential cooler
  • 75W140 Motul Gear Competition
  • 1 piace Aluminium Driveshaft
  • McLeod RST Clutch+Lightweight Flywheel
  • Apex 19x11 wheels (preferably forged)
  • ARP Studs
  • OpMustang 25mm spacers
  • 305/30/19 Goodyear 3R tires
  • 2pc Sloted Rotors (Baer, Steeda)
  • Braided steel clutch and brake lines
  • Gloc R12/R10 brake pads
  • Motul RBF700 / Castrol SRF brake fluid
  • Lightwaight Racing seat
  • Front PP2 Spliter
  • GT350 Swing+Gurney flap
  • Track Alignment

Overall the track package will do great and will solve most of the issues you would have down the line with the car. But I would suggest you start with the first build and progress from there. Better spend money on track time than racing parts.
Yea the bottom one is pretty much what I am lining up with the exception of some brands and having issues finding anyone with the studs in stock.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Yea the bottom one is pretty much what I am lining up with the exception of some brands and having issues finding anyone with the studs in stock.
You can do what I do and but ET26 Apex's for the front but this makes tire rotations harder.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1